Kirby was the man. He was an average joe.... regular size, regular abilities, who maximized all the talents that God gave him and turned it into a Hall of Fame career. I think that is why fans loved him so much.... he was a normal looking guy, unlike Barry Bonds, Big Mac, etc.... too bad his career was ended short. RIP

he had a .318 lifetime batting average and was a gold glove centerfielder. he worked for charities and was a model ballplayer for fans and especially children. this man left baseball too early, and his life was cut way too short. although post career his reputation was slightly hurt, he was definitely a hall of fame baseball player and deserives all the recognition he was ever given.

Being a good ball player is one thing, being a good human being is another.He was one of those--and not the one that greatly outweighs the other.
Never said you said anything false..but maybe a little disrespectful to mention that on a thread about his tragic, early death?? To each his own.
Never said you said anything false..but maybe a little disrespectful to mention that on a thread about his tragic, early death?? To each his own.
Kirby is a non-story a month from now. Should it be brought up then? I'm surprised at all the stories coming out about what a great person he was when he had a bunch of incidents involving spousal abuse and other women abuse. He's not the great person everyone is making him out to be.
Yeah, I forgot all he did for this world. Curing childhood diabetes, rescuing children from a burning orphanage--sorry if I don't have a lot of emotion for a wife-beater. He was one hell of a ball player--that much is true. Hell, I used to be a Twin's fan until I found out my favorite player hit his wife. The fact that people are holding him up like on of the Apostle's is mildly nauseating.
Yeah, I forgot all he did for this world. Curing childhood diabetes, rescuing children from a burning orphanage--sorry if I don't have a lot of emotion for a wife-beater. He was one hell of a ball player--that much is true. Hell, I used to be a Twin's fan until I found out my favorite player hit his wife. The fact that people are holding him up like on of the Apostle's is mildly nauseating.
Can you please show me where I said he was a "great person" or should be a "role model" or whatever. I didn't say that...all I said is that it is sad that he died and that he was a great baseball player. If all you are gonna do on a thread dedicated to the early death of a sports legend/hero/icon is talk bad about him..how about just not talking about it at all?? I mean...just a little respect is all that is. Noone says you have to love the guy..it ain't like he was my favorite player or that I think he was a "great person," but there is no need to talk bad about him here..just a simple R.I.P. If others wanna put him on a pedestal as a great human being, whatever, they are wrong, but that doesn't mean we have to say otherwise in this thread.
Kirby is a non-story a month from now. Should it be brought up then? I'm surprised at all the stories coming out about what a great person he was when he had a bunch of incidents involving spousal abuse and other women abuse. He's not the great person everyone is making him out to be.
This happens when everybody dies. It is a little disrespectful to bring up all of his horrible qualities right after his life is cut short like this. Doesn't mean you have to praise him like everyone else is doing...but why bring it up in a thread dedicated to him??? What purpose does that serve. You can think what you want about him, and you are right, but why bring it into this thread. Do you think that at his funeral they should bring up that also and talk bad about him?? No, he wasn't a "great human being," but his life was tragically cut short and thus, it is a sad story. That is all everyone is really saying. If they say stuff like "he was a great person" or whatnot..who cares??? That's what is said about every single person in the world after they die? You know that if George W. Bush died this evening...everyone would be calling him one of the greatest men in the history of our nation and blah blah blah just because he died. That's just how it goes out of respect.
Can you please show me where I said he was a "great person" or should be a "role model" or whatever. I didn't say that...all I said is that it is sad that he died and that he was a great baseball player. If all you are gonna do on a thread dedicated to the early death of a sports legend/hero/icon is talk bad about him..how about just not talking about it at all?? I mean...just a little respect is all that is. Noone says you have to love the guy..it ain't like he was my favorite player or that I think he was a "great person," but there is no need to talk bad about him here..just a simple R.I.P. If others wanna put him on a pedestal as a great human being, whatever, they are wrong, but that doesn't mean we have to say otherwise in this thread.
I never accused you of saying he was a great person or a role model. You're probably right. This probably wasn't the appropriate place to say it. Doesn't mean I feel bad about saying what I said, or thinking what I think. Men who hit women don't deserve certain respects, in life or death. But, either way. Take it easy, Koop.

The second part of your post is exactly why I haven't responded in a single one of these threads. There's nothing gained by speaking ill of the dead.

This happens when everybody dies. It is a little disrespectful to bring up all of his horrible qualities right after his life is cut short like this. Doesn't mean you have to praise him like everyone else is doing...but why bring it up in a thread dedicated to him??? What purpose does that serve. You can think what you want about him, and you are right, but why bring it into this thread. Do you think that at his funeral they should bring up that also and talk bad about him?? No, he wasn't a "great human being," but his life was tragically cut short and thus, it is a sad story. That is all everyone is really saying. If they say stuff like "he was a great person" or whatnot..who cares??? That's what is said about every single person in the world after they die? You know that if George W. Bush died this evening...everyone would be calling him one of the greatest men in the history of our nation and blah blah blah just because he died. That's just how it goes out of respect.
Forum thread does not equal funeral. Of course I would not expect people to talk bad about someone at their funeral, but this is incredibly different. Should I have started a different thread to say that Kirby isn't the great guy that everyone is making him out to be in a different thread? I find it a little unsettling that so many people are coming out to say what a wonderful person and role model he is when he clearly has abuse problems.If people are just saying that he was a great person because he died and that is said about everyone that died, there's absolutely no significance to it. Why even bother?
I never accused you of saying he was a great person or a role model. You're probably right. This probably wasn't the appropriate place to say it. Doesn't mean I feel bad about saying what I said, or thinking what I think. Men who hit women don't deserve certain respects, in life or death. But, either way. Take it easy, Koop.
Just because I type a lot doesn't mean I am getting worked up about it or mad or something. I'm not that "mad" or "passionate" about it..I was just saying. So...I am "taking it easy." Also..no, I didn't say you should feel bad for thinking that way, and in fact I already said that you were right in that regard. Just said this ain't really the place to say it. That is all.
Just because I type a lot doesn't mean I am getting worked up about it or mad or something. I'm not that "mad" or "passionate" about it..I was just saying. So...I am "taking it easy." Also..no, I didn't say you should feel bad for thinking that way, and in fact I already said that you were right in that regard. Just said this ain't really the place to say it. That is all.
Jesus Christ. My mistake..I should have said, 'Have a nice day, Koop,' since that's what I meant by 'Take it Easy'.
Too bad he was a wife beater.
When a man dies, you think it's appropriate to remember the bad things, rather than the good things in his life? I mean it's not like he was some evil guy.