Simple Tips For A New Player?

Guest cheeseheadGOD

I recently started to get into texas holdem when my brother and his friends started to play in our basement. One night, I decided to give it a try since it was only $5. I totally sucked and I started to more interested when I came across a poker show in some travel channel. Daniel Negranu quickly became my favorite player.Anyways, what are some simple tips for a starting player? Thanks ahead of time :icon_suit_heart:

Patience is the best tip I can give you. Every hand is not a good hand, be patient and wait for good hands in good positions and you won't go too wrong. Think of poker as one long game not in sessions of an hour or so. Your results will depend on your overall play over a long period of time.Also read as much as you can. There are many good sites on the net with tips, including this one. If your looking to buy a book I recommend Super System or wait for Daniel's new one to come out if you like his style!!Good luck at the tables

It depends on what your goal is in starting to play this game. Start out easy and pick up a few books, a few you might want to try are:Getting Started in Holdem by Ed MillerSmall Stakes Holdem by Ed Miller, David Sklansky, and Mason Malmuth

This really all depends on what you want to do with poker. Do you want to be a recreational player just having fun? Do you want to be a recreational player who wins? Or do you want to commit yourself to becoming a student of the game?Do you want to play tournaments, cash games, or both?Without knowing the answers to these questions, this would be my generic advice:Don't learn NL first.This can lead to a lot of mistakes/complications with your development as a player - not to say that it won't be impossible for you to develop - but fixed limit will help you understand the fundamentals of the game better IMO.As Allinbluff said, pick up Small Stakes Hold Em by Miller, Malmuth, and SklanskyTheory of Poker by Sklansky is also a good one, I'd read that one first.These boards (strategy in particular) will also help you develop into a winning player.After all that:If you are going to deposit, deposit enough money so that you can have a learning curve. Play some hands, and post some if you want advice.Good luck.

try to TP/MM as soon as possible.....seriously though...Hand selection is the #1 thing to learn...learn to fold A-6 offsuit and KJ offsuit....and as a beginner, don't try and bluff too much until you become a little more comfortable with the game..just play quality hands until blinds become really big.

I recently started to get into texas holdem when my brother and his friends started to play in our basement. One night, I decided to give it a try since it was only $5. I totally sucked and I started to more interested when I came across a poker show in some travel channel. Daniel Negranu quickly became my favorite player.Anyways, what are some simple tips for a starting player? Thanks ahead of time :icon_suit_heart:
The amount of tips I'll be willing to share is expressly dependent on whether you are the person on the left, or the person on the right in your avatar.

you don't have to learn limit first, or nl.play whichever game you have more fun playing. you'll do better at it.make a $100 deposit, play $5 or $10 buy in nl games if you want to play no limit, while getting advice from someone who understands the game.you could look for a tutor, or read a book or two about the game.Someone you could talk with will help the most, books do help some...but playing a lot of hands is how you improve.Basic advice...learn position first and how it works to your advantage.- Jordan

Guest cheeseheadGOD

Wow! thanks for the replies. They always play tournaments and I usually don't last very long.-what does freezeout stand for?-I will try and buy a book, but are they expensive?-I'm the girl on the right, why would it make a difference? thanks everyone.

I would suggest reading Phil Gordon's book "the real deal" it is a great book for players that are just starting out. Here is my #1 tip. It takes a bigger hand to call someones raise than it does to raise the pot yourself. You want to be the person raising, not calling. You don't want to be on the call. If your in there raising, you have 2 ways to win. Your opponent could fold, or you can have the best hand. If you always call you must have the best hand to win.

you don't have to learn limit first, or nl.play whichever game you have more fun playing. you'll do better at it.
My suggestion was simply if she wanted to develop into a complete player. If she wants to have fun, then that's fine.I'm also not saying that learning NL first is completely bad, because you can always learn FL later. If someone came to me though - intending on playing both games at some point - and wanted to know which one to pick first, I would say FL for the reasons I've stated previously.FL can also be good for a new player because - via the structure of the game - it allows a completely -EV person to hang onto their money longer, which isn't the case in NL.
For tournaments:When you're not sure what to do and you have a big stack, fold.When you're not sure what to do and you have a small stack, go all in (but don't call another's all-in).
Wow! thanks for the replies. They always play tournaments and I usually don't last very long.-what does freezeout stand for?-I will try and buy a book, but are they expensive?-I'm the girl on the right, why would it make a difference? thanks everyone.
Because the one on the left is hotter =\
-I will try and buy a book, but are they expensive?
'Kill Phil' is actually a good book for beginning NLHE tournament players.Most poker books run around $20.
Don't pay too much attention to the tv shows. Those shows are filmed during the final stages of a tournament when the blinds and minimum bets are very high in relation to chip amounts.. This forces big bluffs and desperation moves and all sorts of wacky happenings that you don't need to be involved in. Playing less hands is better than playing more. Don't be afraid to get bluffed out of a pot. Raise before the flop with good hands. Don't let bad beats get to you (though they will). Have fun and play within your means.