getting staked, need help.

I have an interesting situation. I have a player I know that wants to stake me in the WSOP circuit tournaments at the Rio. He has a house in Las Vegas and will cover all expenses. What should the split be? Fixed or sliding percentage? Is there a standard rate? Help?

Whatever amount of money you win, you pay him back the buy in and split the rest, that is the norm, but its really up to the two poeple to decide. In your case if you can't afford it and he is offering then I would take whatever % he offers.

I have an interesting situation. I have a player I know that wants to stake me in the WSOP circuit tournaments at the Rio. He has a house in Las Vegas and will cover all expenses. What should the split be? Fixed or sliding percentage? Is there a standard rate? Help?
you should give him the percentage based on the percentage of cash he gives you up to 40%. I've never been staked before so I wouldn't really know how to go about it

I'd take the deal, if I was getting at least half.The opportunity you are being offered is tremendous, because most players can't afford big tournaments.

So you wouldnt take the deal if it was only 40% or say 25%, i doubt that. While it wouldnt a fair deal, even at 25% you are still putting up nothing, a freeroll for you.

The way its been since i've known it is 50-50 if they put up half of the entry fee. If the banker puts up 100% I've seen its vary from 10%-50% for the player.So if you getting anything close to 50% with no money investment on your part then take it. Its a good deal.

I'd take the deal, if I was getting at least half.The opportunity you are being offered is tremendous, because most players can't afford big tournaments.
half my ass lol.i did this once at the WSOP, i gave the guy 7-3. me 7 of course. lets just say i wasn't happy w/ the result i got and my brother still mows my lawn for free.

I don't know any more about being staked than you do.That said, if you normally can't afford to enter the tournament, I agree you have relatively little bargaining power here.Particularly if he's willing to take the chance of you striking out, and won't pay a visit to the mob seeking compensation for your poor performance (Hey, i dunno what goes on in the pro poker world!), I'd say a 50/50 split of profits is fair.But again, I'm talking out of my ass here.

It all depends..does he want to have sex with you? If so, he sacrifices at least 25% of the total cash and a flat rate for the lovin'.Otherwise, if he generally has faith that he's making a good investment and is providing all your fees, you need to make some serious negotiations.I've never really dealt with this, as my staking players and being staked has been limited to a couple hundred dollars at a time.My recommendation: have him cover boarding/food/transport. After your staking deal is over, he is returned the sum of his investment from the total amount of cashes you make. This includes the buyins and entry fees plus expenses. This is effectively his insurance policy. If you are a loser or a slight winner, he earns as much of his initial investment back as possible. Once he is out of the red, you basically scale the percentage shares of the net relative to the total amount of prizes. The first say.. 100% profit should be mostly his. After this, you should receive a larger percentage share.. up to a half of the net profits should be feasible for a certain amount of the profits. After a certain point, however, the percentage should drop back down. If your cash is large, you'll still be rewarded, but it's more important that his investment is rewarded. Giving him a decent chunk of the large payouts on a longshot such as your earning final table money is important here, as actually has a reasonable chance of making a huge payday off his investment.Say he buys you in for $25000 total.. 10k ME, 5k nlhe, 2knlhe, 4k on the nlhe rebuy event, and 4 1k events. For your first 25k in cashes plus the agreed value of board/food/expenses, he has rights to all the money. For the amount between 25k and 50k or so, he gets the vast majority. He should pay you for your time at least. Your services as a professional should be worth a decent hourly wage, maybe 20-40/hr if you're actually a winning midlimit HE player. Anything else from this bracket is gravy. From 50k to maybe 150k, you should share relatively evenly, getting 33-50%. He's recouped his expenses and made a very good ROI already, much better than he could expect from any other investment over such a short period. After this, maybe 20%. It is up to him whether or not he wants to pay you for your time if he did not make a profit. The experience he has provided alone is worth a lot of money, in addition to other unquantifiable values.Most importantly, get it all in writing.This is the deal I would shoot for. I imagine others w/ more experience can give better advice. Sorry if Im repeating anyone, as I'm too lazy to click reload on the thread and started writing this post yesterday.-adam
Ask Dutch Boyd he seems to be an expert since he now has over 10 backers for one 10,000 buyin event which seems a little rediculous to me but who know he is bi polar after all
Ask Dutch Boyd he seems to be an expert since he now has over 10 backers for one 10,000 buyin event which seems a little rediculous to me but who know he is bi polar after all
what sense does THAT make??? what point is boyd's bi-polar disorder have to do with being staked?

I agree with the majority. Give him all of his expenses back first, then split anything remaining 50/50. I would not expect to pay rent on staying in his house or charge him for your time, as I wouldn't do either of those to a friend, business or not.

That was a complete low blow. You should never go after a mental disorder someone has when it is unneccessary. I can't believe you, or anyone, would be such a jerk.To the original poster: Good luck. You're getting a hell of a deal.
I don't know any more about being staked than you do.That said, if you normally can't afford to enter the tournament, I agree you have relatively little bargaining power here.Particularly if he's willing to take the chance of you striking out, and won't pay a visit to the mob seeking compensation for your poor performance (Hey, i dunno what goes on in the pro poker world!), I'd say a 50/50 split of profits is fair.But again, I'm talking out of my ass here.
if you don't know what goes on in the pro poker world, you must not be watching tilt.
That was a complete low blow. You should never go after a mental disorder someone has when it is unneccessary. I can't believe you, or anyone, would be such a jerk.To the original poster: Good luck. You're getting a hell of a deal.
yeah, except "i'm bipolar" is such a lame excuse for so many people who have no "mental disorder." it's a shame for those who actually do, there aren't many. there are just lots and lots of people needlessly on lithium, effexor, prozac, welbutrin, etc. etc. etc. my apologies to dutch boyd if he doesn't fall into that category.
I did not in any way mean it to be a low blow, I admit I was probably out of line. I was using it in a joking matter. I posted it because Dutch jokes about it in his blog. I apologize if I offended anyone

if it were me I would jump at the chance to play if he would cover expenses and entry...obviously you would want as much money as you can get, but the oportunity to have that much fun for free would be outstanding...imo if I had the cash to stake someone, it would require a favorable split to the money man, he is the one with all the risk... I would think at least 60% to the banker...