Hi. I'm the guy that posted that he's still learning to play NLHE a while back. I'm still learning. Was my raise way out of line? Boca had been playing TAG for as long as I had been seated at the table (about 6 orbits) and seemed like a decent player from what I knew.$0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em Seat 2: boca2000 ($101.05)Seat 9: Hero ($96.65)ChipsUpHosDown posts the small blind of $0.25Hero posts the big blind of $0.50The button is in seat #7*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Hero [8c Td]boca2000 calls $0.50gloria785 calls $0.504foldsChipsUpHosDown calls $0.25Hero checks*** FLOP *** [Tc 8d Jh]ChipsUpHosDown checksHero bets $0.50boca2000 raises to $2gloria785 foldsChipsUpHosDown foldsHero calls $1.50*** TURN *** [Tc 8d Jh] [8s]Hero checksboca2000 bets $4Hero raises to $13What I was hoping to do was make a suspiciously large check-raise. I put him on a KJo or QJo btw

There are lot of people here that are way more experienced than me, but as someone who plays at these limits, I think if I were the villain and holding KQ or QJ, I'm probably folding here no matter what your raise is. You smooth called a raise on a flop that's highly coordinated and it's possible for you to be in there with a made str8 already. Then another 8 falls on the turn. Since you're in the pot from the BB for free, you could very well be in there with Q9 or 79 for a made str8, or any 8. If I'm against you with KQ/QJ, the only thing I can beat is a bluff or a donked call of middle/bottom pair. If you had min-raised instead, following a smooth call on the flop, I'd probably fold that as well since it would look so suspiciously like inviting action. Your only hope for getting action on the turn is if he concludes that there is no reason for you to be making such a large bet since he doesn't have the str8 draw and there is no flush draw on board. But even then, because there is a str8 draw on the board, he may interpret your bet as protecting trip 8s against a one-card str8 and then fold anyways.Based on your read of the villain as a solid player, it seems like the best way you could get him to put more money in the pot is to call the turn bet and hope he bets again on the river, figuring you for a weaker queen. That or calling the turn and then leading out on the river with a value bet - it could confuse him enough to get a call or even a raise.But that's just me. Take it for whatever it's worth.

Another option here is to check the turn and just call his bet on the turn, unless he makes it so big that he'll know you're huge with a flat-call and he won't play for much more unless he has Q-9. You might worry about him checking behind you, but you also are giving him a free card to improve his hand and you can overbet the river (especially if it bricks) and hope he calls you down, like you did in this instance but on the turn instead.

I think that I would have led out on the turn for about half of the pot, and then the same on the river. However, since you choose to check the turn, I think that there is more money to be made by calling his bet rather than raising. Then, on the river you could lead out for 3/4 the pot and probably have a decent chance at getting paid off. Plus, if he has QJo, like you indicated he might, you have a good chance at getting all of chips if one of the four 9s fall.

I think that there is more money to be made by calling his bet rather than raising. Then, on the river you could lead out for 3/4 the pot and probably have a decent chance at getting paid off. Plus, if he has QJo, like you indicated he might, you have a good chance at getting all of chips if one of the four 9s fall.
I like this thought. A board this scary seems likely to kill action no matter what you do if the villain does indeed have something like QJ. I can see the point in check raising the turn to get a call based on suspicion. I don't know how much more likely this is than having one of the 9s fall on the river. Maybe it's a little more. But the payoff when a 9 falls is probably a lot more since he could put you on a lower str8.

No no no no no. Let me reiterate something I've said here before. Check-raising is a disease. A lot of players in the small NL cash games do it way too much.All you're doing when you check raise and your opponent isn't committed for all his chips is leaving value on the table.Do you want your opponent to fold here? Because he's going to a lot of the time.There is a classic thread on 2+2 that Strasser started on this topic. He was talking about seeing 2+2 posters c/r too often in MTTs, but you see the exact same thing in small stakes NL cash games. I see a lot of c/r-ing in these threads. You'll do better if you stop doing it in situations that don't warrant it.