Ultimatebet Nomax Tables - Ev Problem

UltimateBet have NLHE tables with no cap on buyin, so people can sit down with 10 x BB or 100,000 x BB.Suppose you are heads up against a guy with (say) 400x your stack, and he pushes all in or is willing to call all in every hand. Obviously, you can wait a few hands and take a 60 40, or maybe 70 30 and attempt to double up. Assume you are successful. You now have double your money, and can still easily find +EV spots to get your money in. How far should you go? you are 50% to lose all your money with two successive 70 30 situations, but conversely you are 50% to quadruple your starting stack.The problem is, the whole situation is +EV, but you are highly likely to lose your money. Should you leave table and sit back down with your starting amount every time you double up?I am a maths and stats degree student but this has me slightly puzzled as to the correct way to approach it. In theory you should never leave until he has your money or you have his, but that means you will lose your money many times before you take his.Anyone have any suggestions?[This is similar to one of DNs Blog entries a while ago, and he briefly discussed this problem -] http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-jour...rt_from=&ucat=&

i dunno about the math...but if you have a set amount you are willing to buy in with and lose, you should keep playing him if he is giving away money.if you have a bankroll for a $200 NL full ring game, buy in for $200 everytime and work at getting your money in -postflop- with stronger hands. If you aren't comfortable committing $200 Preflop with AK/AQ/AJ/AT, which Probably will be better than his range of hands atleast 60%-70% of the time, if not more, you should only be playing AA KK QQ JJ hard preflop. I've played "high" rollers HU who have donked off substantial $$ to me, but they'd always rebuy. My rule was if they dubbed up off me once, then I'd probably sit out, cause one more dub up and they have all my stack and I didn't want that.I've only played two high rollers and I'm still yet lose to one. I may be a bit more willing to gamble though in HU matches as I will call allins with AQ AJ AT AK and small pairs against them cause I can afford to. They can afford to as well, but once they start dubbing up on me they are much more effective cause they have essentially the same amount of $$ on the table and can really do some damage.Point is...if you have an ATM at your table you should almost always stick around and take advantage of him...until it becomes disadvantageous to you.- Jordan

I'd say to just keep playing until you have more than you can afford to risk on the table. So, if you have a $10,000 bankroll and you usually play 2/4 NL, then you'd probably want to keep playing until you have over $1,000 on the table at which point you'd want to leave and rebuy so you're not risking too much of your bankroll. If your BR was sufficiently large to be unaffected than the best strategy would probably be to buy-in for a huge amount with him and try to double up.

since when can you leave a table and sit right back down with less money? never have i seen a poker room where you can do that...
you might have to exit the software then reopen software and table..i've never done this so i don't know really..but i assume that would do the trick..- Jordan

I think some sites will allow it, and others will not. I don't know about UB. If you can leave, and then sit with your origional buy in (optimally I would think this would be the minimum), I would think you should do exactly that. If you can't get up and sit with less, I would proceed with extreme caution. I think it is more likely that he would completely bust you, before you could take his entire buy in. Once you have quadrupled up, how does that amount compare to your entire bankroll? If that number is still small relative to your entire bankroll, then I'd think you should keep playing. Confused? whew..i amI would keep playing for as long as he continued to play poorly, but when I had won an amount that would have a great affect on my overall bankroll I would quit.