Daniel's Light Bulb Riddle

1. After barely making it across the bridge, you hear two of the forest people arguing. It seems that just before they crossed the bridge, they each bought 10 pair of socks, and in fact, as far as color and size go, they each bought the same exact 10 pairs. Each person has 1 pair of green, 1 pair of blue, etc. etc... But now they have accidentally dropped all their socks and the socks are all mixed up in a pile on the ground.Because it is pitch-black, they can't see what colors the socks are, but want to divide them up so that they each have the same colors that they bought, i.e. identical sets of green, blue, etc. Luckily the socks are all still in pairs, so they only have to pick up 20 pairs, not 40 individual socks.The light used in crossing the bridge fell into a bottomless forest pit, so even though it is pitch-black, how can you help the two forest people get one pair each of every color, just like they had before they dropped them?(Note: no lights, moon, cigarette lighter, etc...) 2. You are travelling in a deep, dark forest when, suddenly, on a dark and stormy night, you are captured by the kind-but-not-so-bright forest people. They keep looking at you and saying to each other, "It be a smart person!"You are marched to their village and seated in the square. Before you are blindfolded, you notice two other lucky souls seated in chairs facing you. Then you are told that the forest people king is about to die. He previously sent messengers throughout the land seeking the 3 smartest people. You are one, and two others have also been found. He now gives you all a task to see which one is the wisest.He tells you, "I have seated you in an equilateral triangle so that each of you faces the other two. While you are blindfolded I will paint a dot on each of your foreheads. Each dot will be red or green so that there can be any combination of red and green dots, for example, 1 red and 2 greens, or all red, etc. When I remove the blindfolds each of you must raise your hand if you see _any_ green dots, i.e. 1 or 2 dots. As soon as you have figured out what color your own dot is, tell me how you knew."So he paints a green dot on all three foreheads. When the blindfolds are removed, all three hands go up. After a long pause, the wisest person, (that's you!) say, "Your highness, I have a green dot. The reason I know this is that..."How did you know?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. After barely making it across the bridge, you hear two of the forest people arguing. It seems that just before they crossed the bridge, they each bought 10 pair of socks, and in fact, as far as color and size go, they each bought the same exact 10 pairs. Each person has 1 pair of green, 1 pair of blue, etc. etc... But now they have accidentally dropped all their socks and the socks are all mixed up in a pile on the ground.Because it is pitch-black, they can't see what colors the socks are, but want to divide them up so that they each have the same colors that they bought, i.e. identical sets of green, blue, etc. Luckily the socks are all still in pairs, so they only have to pick up 20 pairs, not 40 individual socks.The light used in crossing the bridge fell into a bottomless forest pit, so even though it is pitch-black, how can you help the two forest people get one pair each of every color, just like they had before they dropped them?(Note: no lights, moon, cigarette lighter, etc...)
You pick up one pair, undo it. Hand each person a sock. Pick up a new pair, repeat.
Here's a Brain stumper, my 7th grade Algebra teacher told us.Bob, Ted, Larry check into a Motel, the desk clerk said it was $30, they each paid $10 and went to their room. The desk clerk then realized he had over charged them $5. He sent the Bellboy with 5 one dollar bills to take up to their room. The three guys were glad and tipped the Bellboy $2, so each person paid $9. If each person paid $9 and they gave the bellman $2, then 9x3 =$27 plus the $2 tip = $29 total, where is the missing dollar? :club:
Just a shot in the dark on this one.But, 25/3 is 8.33Lost dollar being the three 33 cents?

This one is just strange, I was told it awhile back, it's basically a little math puzzle. I'm not sure of the original origin.You're a guest on a game show. There are three doors. Two doors have nothing behind them and one door has a goat behind it. If you pick the door with the goat behind it you earn a cash prize.You're given two chances. First you pick a door. Then one of the other two doors, always a door with nothing behind, is opened. You are allowed to either keep the door you originally picked, and open it, or to switch to the other closed door. What choice is more likely to reveal the goat? Or is there no benefit to changing doors?- Michael

You pick up one pair, undo it. Hand each person a sock. Pick up a new pair, repeat.Just a shot in the dark on this one.But, 25/3 is 8.33Lost dollar being the three 33 cents?
There really is no missing dollar...lol. This is just a play on words, but good answer. How about the green dot one? How does he know?
This one is just strange, I was told it awhile back, it's basically a little math puzzle. I'm not sure of the original origin.You're a guest on a game show. There are three doors. Two doors have nothing behind them and one door has a goat behind it. If you pick the door with the goat behind it you earn a cash prize.You're given two chances. First you pick a door. Then one of the other two doors, always a door with nothing behind, is opened. You are allowed to either keep the door you originally picked, and open it, or to switch to the other closed door. What choice is more likely to reveal the goat? Or is there no benefit to changing doors?- Michael
If two of the doors u opened are empty....isn't the goat in the last door? So, why wouldn't u switch to the last door????
There really is no missing dollar...lol. This is just a play on words, but good answer. How about the green dot one? How does he know?If two of the doors u opened are empty....isn't the goat in the last door? So, why wouldn't u switch to the last door????
Let me rephrase, for clarity.There are three doors. One has a goat behind it. Two do not have a goat. You pick an initial door, and that door remains closed. One of the other two doors are opened, always a door that doesn't have a goat behind it. Now you can stick with the still closed door you first picked, or switch to the other closed door. Should you stay, should you switch, or does it not matter? This one makes my brain hurt, seriously. I'll post an explanation later.
Let me rephrase, for clarity.There are three doors. One has a goat behind it. Two do not have a goat. You pick an initial door, and that door remains closed. One of the other two doors are opened, always a door that doesn't have a goat behind it. Now you can stick with the still closed door you first picked, or switch to the other closed door. Should you stay, should you switch, or does it not matter? This one makes my brain hurt, seriously. I'll post an explanation later.
you should switch. theres a 2/3 chance of the last door having the goat and a 1/3 chance of your original door having the goat.btw, you might want to reword the question to 1 door having a car and 2 doors having a goat so that its clear what your objective is.
2. You are travelling in a deep, dark forest when, suddenly, on a dark and stormy night, you are captured by the kind-but-not-so-bright forest people. They keep looking at you and saying to each other, "It be a smart person!"You are marched to their village and seated in the square. Before you are blindfolded, you notice two other lucky souls seated in chairs facing you. Then you are told that the forest people king is about to die. He previously sent messengers throughout the land seeking the 3 smartest people. You are one, and two others have also been found. He now gives you all a task to see which one is the wisest.He tells you, "I have seated you in an equilateral triangle so that each of you faces the other two. While you are blindfolded I will paint a dot on each of your foreheads. Each dot will be red or green so that there can be any combination of red and green dots, for example, 1 red and 2 greens, or all red, etc. When I remove the blindfolds each of you must raise your hand if you see _any_ green dots, i.e. 1 or 2 dots. As soon as you have figured out what color your own dot is, tell me how you knew."So he paints a green dot on all three foreheads. When the blindfolds are removed, all three hands go up. After a long pause, the wisest person, (that's you!) say, "Your highness, I have a green dot. The reason I know this is that..."How did you know?
The real trick to solving this is to have faith that the other two players are in fact smart. I was a little thrown off by you calling the forest people "not-so-bright" because if they were stupid, how could you assume in fact that they have grabbed smart people. If they grab stupid people, the puzzle is not solvable. Further, even if these are in fact "smart" people, you have not made it clear that all 3 people would apply their intelligence. You have just said the king is dying and wants to see who is the wisest? So now we have a king with little to lose and stupid minions with bad grammar kidnapping people. I have no reason to answer and some good reasons not to. Maybe he wants to eat the wisest before he dies thinking he will die smarter. Maybe he wants to party hardy before passing and is looking for a smart bartender to mix zany drinks. I'm not sure I want to be identified as the smartest, so I would stfu and would not assume other smart players were willing to answer. But I disgress. Basically, I will assume that the other 2 players are smart and are applying that intelligence. Therefore, both players are not able to answer and my answer unfolds:I first thought about possibilities where the players would have obvious answers. The easiest way to know what one's own colour was would be if someone did not raise their hand for that would mean that a player could only see 2 reds.The sticking point is falling into the trap that you are not sure if the other two players are raising their hands because they are merely seeing each other's green and not two greens and therfore you don't know if you have a red or green. Let's eliminate the possibility that you have a red. If you had a red dot, then one of the other two "smart" players would deduct as follows: "Ok, one guy has a red dot (you) and one a green. If I had a red dot, then the guy with the green dot (the other player) would not raise his hand because he would see two reds (you and the guy thinking this) and I would know I (the player thinking) had a red dot. But, that isn't happening, so I (again the player thinking) have a green dot." That player would know his colour and win, but that is NOT happening, so that means you and another player do not have the green/red combination that would allow the third player to make that deduction. Therefore, you know you, like the other two, have a green dot.I'm not sure if I needed to clarify with the brackets or if I should have clarified any point clearer, but I think this is the answer. Then again, I have been wrong before, like the time as a mere lad I convinced myself that the lyrics to an old song were a critique of racism towards bi-racial relationships with the line, "my boyfriend's black and there's going to be trouble," and that Santa Claus and WWF wrestling were just as real as my first employer, the Tooth Fairy.

okay, you are in search of a village, where there is medicine to cure the disease that will soon kill you, if not treated. you know that the village is either a day's walk east or a day's walk west, and you know also, that you can only survive a day.as you approach the fork in the path, you encounter the chiefs of two tribes. these chiefs know the area well. you have learned earlier that people from one tribe tell only the truth and that people from the other tribe tell only lies. you have also learned that both tribes are extremely violent and will kill anyone who asks them more than one question. they (of course) speak fluent english.what one question do you ask and to whom do you ask it?

okay, you are in search of a village, where there is medicine to cure the disease that will soon kill you, if not treated. you know that the village is either a day's walk east or a day's walk west, and you know also, that you can only survive a day.as you approach the fork in the path, you encounter the chiefs of two tribes. these chiefs know the area well. you have learned earlier that people from one tribe tell only the truth and that people from the other tribe tell only lies. you have also learned that both tribes are extremely violent and will kill anyone who asks them more than one question. they (of course) speak fluent english.what one question do you ask?
Is this one question to each chief?

You ask either Chief what the other one would answer to the question of which path is the route to the medicine?The honest Chief will tell you the wrong path since that is what the dishonest Chief would say.The dishonest Chief will you the wrong path since that is not what the honest Chief would say.So take the path not recommended and live a long life in which you can challenge the assumptions involved in presenting Aboriginal people as either savage or simple or both.

You ask either Chief what the other one would answer to the question of which path is the route to the medicine?The honest Chief will tell you the wrong path since that is what the dishonest Chief would say.The dishonest Chief will you the wrong path since that is not what the honest Chief would say.So take the path not recommended and live a long life in which you can challenge the assumptions involved in presenting Aboriginal people as either savage or simple or both.
Nice..but your other answer to the dot heads confuses me to no end.
Nice..but your other answer to the dot heads confuses me to no end.
Sorry about the confusion. I'm not well rested. I will try to think of a better way to present my potentially incorrect answer.In the meantime:You know you have a green dot because if you (player 1) had a red, one of the other players (player 2) would have been able to guess his own green dot. Stop there for the simpliest answer.Slightly more confusing answer:You know you have a green dot because if you (player 1) had a red, one of the other players (player 2) would have been able to guess his own green dot because the other guy (player 3) raised his hand.More confusing:You know you have a green dot because if you (player 1) had a red, one of the other players (player 2) would have been able to guess his own green dot because the other guy (player 3) raised his hand because if he had not raised his hand both player 1 and player would have to have red dots.Wow, that reads like the quote below.
Sorry about the confusion. I'm not well rested. I will try to think of a better way to present my potentially incorrect answer.The basic idea is that you know you have a green dot because if you (player 1) had a red, one of the other players (player 2) would have been able to guess his own colour. Stop there for the simpliest answer.Slightly more confusing answer: The idea is that you know you have a green dot because if you (player 1) had a red, one of the other players (player 2) would have been able to guess his own colour because the other guy (player 3) raised his hand.More confusing:The idea is that you know you have a green dot because if you (player 1) had a red, one of the other players (player 2) would have been able to guess his own colour (because the other guy (player 3) raised his hand because if he had not raised his hand both player 1 and player would have to have red dots.Wow, that reads like the quote below.
Very good sir.....I think that may be a winner! Thx for the clarification.So as u said....we have too ass ume that the other guys are not donkeys!
okay, you are in search of a village, where there is medicine to cure the disease that will soon kill you, if not treated. you know that the village is either a day's walk east or a day's walk west, and you know also, that you can only survive a day.as you approach the fork in the path, you encounter the chiefs of two tribes. these chiefs know the area well. you have learned earlier that people from one tribe tell only the truth and that people from the other tribe tell only lies. you have also learned that both tribes are extremely violent and will kill anyone who asks them more than one question. they (of course) speak fluent english.what one question do you ask and to whom do you ask it?
Ask either one which way the other one would tell you that the village is, then go in the opposite direction. If you ask the guy who tells the truth, he'll truthfully tell you the wrong direction that the liar would say, go the opposite. If you ask the guy who lies, he'll tell you the opposite of what the truth-teller would say - go the opposite.Edit: Oops, I see it's already been answered. Oh well.
  • 3 weeks later...

What's better than Heaven and worse then Hell, when a live man eats it, he dies, and a dead man eats it?He who makes it, doesn't use it. He who buys it, doesn't want it. And he who uses it, doesn't know. what is it?

What's better than Heaven and worse then Hell, when a live man eats it, he dies, and a dead man eats it?He who makes it, doesn't use it. He who buys it, doesn't want it. And he who uses it, doesn't know. what is it?
The first one is nothing. I like it.The second one could be a grave, gravestone, coffin, urn, non-holograph or willkit will, and life insurance. Although I can think of exceptions (digging your own grave for a lazy kidnapper/killer, coffin maker using his own product eventually, insured person giving suicide to provide for loved one), I think that is what you were suggesting.