Continuation Bets And Low Stakes Nlhe

Continuation bets and online poker roomsHey, I have made the move recently to NLHE from online limit and live NLHE playing the .10/.25 tables on Party Poker.One of the standard moves in any live game I’ve ever played or limit game is when I am the pre-flop aggressor to lead out on the flop again if there is no action even though I missed.It usually works great, giving me a good chance to buy the pot right there even though I missed or letting me know where I am at.But online at such low stakes, I have noticed it not working out very well for me. I’m not talking about a continuation bet on a flop that we hit, but on a flop that we miss.What are your views on continuation bets when we miss the flop in such a low stake game. Like poker itself, I suppose it should be a situational thing, but correct me if I’m wrong, but shutting down when I completely miss the flop and trying to suck out for free seems like a better move then spewing into these players that will call any bet all the way down with their TP3kicker.

Continuation bets and online poker roomsHey, I have made the move recently to NLHE from online limit and live NLHE playing the .10/.25 tables on Party Poker.One of the standard moves in any live game I’ve ever played or limit game is when I am the pre-flop aggressor to lead out on the flop again if there is no action even though I missed.It usually works great, giving me a good chance to buy the pot right there even though I missed or letting me know where I am at.But online at such low stakes, I have noticed it not working out very well for me. I’m not talking about a continuation bet on a flop that we hit, but on a flop that we miss.What are your views on continuation bets when we miss the flop in such a low stake game. Like poker itself, I suppose it should be a situational thing, but correct me if I’m wrong, but shutting down when I completely miss the flop and trying to suck out for free seems like a better move then spewing into these players that will call any bet all the way down with their TP3kicker.
As you said, I think the answer is that it depends. The texture of the board and the number of opponents and your relative position to them are all factors to take into consideration. It's geared more towards MTT's than cash games, but I think Harrington on Hold'em I has some very good stuff about continuation betting and what factors you might want to take into consideration when deciding whether or not to do it. I think the biggest key is probably to vary your play. You probably don't want to continuation bet every single time. You probably also don't want to never continuation bet.

Two things....Don't bluff a calling station--you should know if they're a calling station after 5-10 hands.and two....Always bet the turn..If they see you bet the flop repeatedly they start to call to try and catch. Fire another bullet on the turn and let them make the decision.

my question to you is how much are you betting preflop and how much is you continuation bet? One thing that I do is i don't bet the size of the pot, say the pots 3dollars, i bet 2 or 2.25 or so, if they are going to call 2 they would have called 3 also. This makes it a more profitable play cause it has to be succesfull less often. Also POSITION is key if your early to act and theres 2+ active players behind you chances are the board helped one of them and you giving them money cause once they call you your forced to give up the hand. your continuation bets will be more profitable and more successful if your in later position and with only 1 or 2 opponets in the pot with you.If your continuation betting with 4+ people in pots when you miss the flop just STOP, those are times you have to hit your hand to put anymore money into the pot.

Ill generally try it if its just me and one or two other players in the pot and i have position, however I have also found that it doesnt work nearly as well on the low limit games at party poker. In fact i think that is one of my biggest leaks.

At the lower/micro limits, you could probably get away with never or almost never continuation betting, but at the middle and high limits, if the only time you ever bet the flop after pre-flop aggression is when you've hit your hand, you're never going to get paid off.

I think the reason continuation bets tend not to be as useful online is because so many people do it.The loose/passives always suspect someone has an AK that missed, and they check/call with their small pairs (or less). And they're often right.Often ill make a continuation bet for half the pot. You really dont need to bet more than that. Some people almost seem more inclined to call bigger bets using the "if he wanted me to call, why would he bet so much?" rationale.

Playing 0.10/0.25NL continuations betting is a hugh part of my game. You can't do it everytime but you have to pick your spots. Board texture is important. I am not continuation betting into 3 people with a connected board.I like to raise to isolate then bet say 80% of the pot. Also I found that I wasn't betting enough at first I was doing the HOH half the pot. This just simply wasn't enough in cash games. That might be your problem.That being said I play my strong hands the same way.Also, I am noticing that people are less apt to call my preflop raise if they know I am potting it on the flop. At low limits people are often scared for some reason. Allowing me to pick up more pots.

You shouldn't do this against more than two players.The texture of the board makes a huge difference if I am going to check or bet.If I raised with A-K in EP, and someone in LP calls, and the flop is 2-5-8, I'm making a bet more than 70% of the time, depending on the player. If the flop is J-9-7. I check/fold. And I bet around 2/3 of the pot.

The biggest flaw in the continuation bet at micro limits is that many players check the turn when out of position. Because almost everyone makes this play at these limits, you set yourself up to have the pot taken away from you on the turn. Try to play hands in position, take advantage of these situations when the situation reverses itself.