This Language Filter Is Stupid And Insulting..

ya i'm just playing around with it a little - you guys should honestly not get so heated over this - can we not have a little "juvenile" fun for a day or so during the forum release?
Probably not since this was the day of release and everybody is looking for bugs and trying to get used to the software. If you had put it in there at a random time, that might be funny, but on the day of the release, that will just put everyone on edge.
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ya i'm just playing around with it a little - you guys should honestly not get so heated over this - can we not have a little "juvenile" fun for a day or so during the forum release?
Yeah, I guess if that wasn't the overall nature of the site anymore.All this foo-foo, handholding, cute puppy, nice kitten, let's all be nice--it gets old. Sorry, it's just not my thing. If you're dumb, I'm going to tell you you're dumb. If you're mocking me or talking down to me--like I think this language filter is mocking, and like I think Theresa's talked down to me, then I'm going to be heated. I get you don't want swearing, whatever. Not my site, so what can I really say? But this is just insulting.
If someone comes to your home and you ask them not to put their shoes on your coffee table, would you expect them to listen and not put their feet up on your table?Think about it. We have it in our rules not to curse. Yet some members don't have the respect when we ask not to curse. So in a sense, we are having to lay down plastic on our table since our guest keep insisting on putting their shoed feet on our table.
I was asked to leave from a neighbors house for getting mud all over the seats...I got the last laugh though...That wasnt mud on the toilet seat
The point is is that this is a business site and we want a professional image. Cursing is frowned at the Fortune 50 company that I work at. Most respectable businesses are not keen on cursing.Let's class up poker and learn to be a bit more intelligent with our conversations. There is a good article in either this months Bluff or All In that addresses this subject.
I understand what you're saying, and this isn't directed at you, but this is bullscheisse. They're words, they're inert, they cannot hurt you. I can offend someone far more without cursing than I will by calling them a fscktard. Nobody is so sheltered that merely seeing the f-word is going to alter their lives in any meaningful manner. It's all just stupid semantics. Which word is more offensive? Sh!t, or murder? Again, not directed at you Theresa, more of a vent than anything.
I understand what you're saying, and this isn't directed at you, but this is bullscheisse. They're words, they're inert, they cannot hurt you. I can offend someone far more without cursing than I will by calling them a fscktard. Nobody is so sheltered that merely seeing the f-word is going to alter their lives in any meaningful manner. It's all just stupid semantics. Which word is more offensive? Sh!t, or murder? Again, not directed at you Theresa, more of a vent than anything.
Amen
You've completely missed the point.I don't care that you put plastic on the table, but don't bring me a freaking spill-proof cup for my pop. Don't make me wear a damn diaper.I'm not a child and I don't want to be treated like one.If you want to censor it, fine, I get that.Daniel's site, Daniel's rules. Blah..I don't care. I think it's childish, but, it's not my site.But just freakin' censor it. Don't blow my sentence structure all to hell because you feel like being cute. Use 'Censored' not some random 9 word non-sequitir.Don't mock me.So, that's what it is then? These forums are just here to support the fu.cking poker site? I thought these forums were devoted to discussion about poker and strategy and getting better as a player--not padding someone's wallet.Consider my shoes off your coffee table then. Didn't mean to inconvenience you.
Quoted for sincerity, honesty and posterity.
Hello Mr. Park Ranger. Oh, I have pics of me and Renaedawn kissing. I won't put them on here, though. They are super hot, but I promised.
Uh, the filters won't be changed until the morning. :club:

city ordinance 2.1389 states that a city ordinance is upon uswhether the party was in the building or not at the time of said event is beside the point, it was, it is, and will always be a hamburgerdickbullshitJesus died for your sins

Hey guys, I never meant to come off as if I am talking down to anyone. I guess it is that I just don't get what the big deal is about cursing anyways.I use to work for small companies and my coworkers and I cursed all of the time. As I worked for bigger organizations and moved up the ladder, I realized that it just wasn't appropriate. In the corporate world, it does not make you look smart to curse. There are lots of people who also access this site when they are at work or when they are at home with their kids. I mean, our largest thread was started by people who were posting from work. So I tend to think that we wouldn't want lots of cursing on here since people are accessing the forum in some not so private places. Some of the most wittiest comics don't curse or do so in small amounts. They are bright and creative and have a great command of the English language. My personal oppinion is that many poker players are bright and intelligent and have lots of creativity. I guess that is why I don't get the up roar. I respect so many posters on here and what they have to say that I don't know why there is so much passion to curse or to bypass filters. So sorry if I offended anyone, because I did not mean to do so. I guess I am just perplexed.And Nikki... you are a sweetheart. Of course I love you babe. :club:

Hey guys, I never meant to come off as if I am talking down to anyone. I guess it is that I just don't get what the big deal is about cursing anyways.I use to work for small companies and my coworkers and I cursed all of the time. As I worked for bigger organizations and moved up the ladder, I realized that it just wasn't appropriate. In the corporate world, it does not make you look smart to curse. There are lots of people who also access this site when they are at work or when they are at home with their kids. I mean, our largest thread was started by people who were posting from work. So I tend to think that we wouldn't want lots of cursing on here since people are accessing the forum in some not so private places. Some of the most wittiest comics don't curse or do so in small amounts. They are bright and creative and have a great command of the English language. My personal oppinion is that many poker players are bright and intelligent and have lots of creativity. I guess that is why I don't get the up roar. I respect so many posters on here and what they have to say that I don't know why there is so much passion to curse or to bypass filters. So sorry if I offended anyone, because I did not mean to do so. I guess I am just perplexed.And Nikki... you are a sweetheart. Of course I love you babe. :club:
ironic at all that that's the thread we curse the most in? :D
The point is is that this is a business site and we want a professional image. Cursing is frowned at the Fortune 50 company that I work at. Most respectable businesses are not keen on cursing.Let's class up poker and learn to be a bit more intelligent with our conversations. There is a good article in either this months Bluff or All In that addresses this subject.
Wow.Lets see here....firstly, you are saying that your image is more important than what DN's fans want. Theresa, that is the definition of not understanding who butters your bread.Secondly, I have worked at several big time law firms and I did a summer stint at Goldman Sachs. There was swearing and cursing. Perhaps not LOTS but certainly quite a bit. So, to be honest, I dont find your point valid in any way, shape or form. Rich businessmen swear, lawyers swear, janitors swear. Its a fact of life. I am not sure exactly what Fortune 50 company you work at but it must have had some seriously milquetoast weinies. I do agree that cursing in large amounts is distasteful and signals a lesser mind and a limited vocabulary. However, cursing has its time and place.....usually to make a point in an extremely emphatic fashion.I find your explanation extremely patronizing and I think you are missing the larger issue: the forum regulars are the lifeblood of the site....if all of them say something is ridiculous you should take it seriously.
Hey guys, I never meant to come off as if I am talking down to anyone. I guess it is that I just don't get what the big deal is about cursing anyways.I use to work for small companies and my coworkers and I cursed all of the time. As I worked for bigger organizations and moved up the ladder, I realized that it just wasn't appropriate. In the corporate world, it does not make you look smart to curse. There are lots of people who also access this site when they are at work or when they are at home with their kids. I mean, our largest thread was started by people who were posting from work. So I tend to think that we wouldn't want lots of cursing on here since people are accessing the forum in some not so private places.Some of the most wittiest comics don't curse or do so in small amounts. They are bright and creative and have a great command of the English language. My personal oppinion is that many poker players are bright and intelligent and have lots of creativity. I guess that is why I don't get the up roar. I respect so many posters on here and what they have to say that I don't know why there is so much passion to curse or to bypass filters. So sorry if I offended anyone, because I did not mean to do so. I guess I am just perplexed.And Nikki... you are a sweetheart. Of course I love you babe. :club:
If ever there was a losing point to be made, that is it.On the other end, it's not about being able to curse it's about not only censoring speech, but actually punishing them for using poor language. I realize that this is just a poor joke, but at the time, it was just the most extreme censorship ever.