top 5 poker players in the world

Been playing in the Big Game lately?How the hell do you know how he's been doing in Cash Games?
What, you have info to prove otherwise? I don't think Chau is even playing in the big game anymore he lost so much.

Chau Giang is obviously one of the best players in the world but not a top 5 player. Pro's always say, along with others, that the best player in the world can never be just a tournament player. I agree with that totally. But I also believe that the best player in the world can't be strictly, or mostly just a cash game player. You have to be the best or near the best at both to be considered as the best player in the world. Tournament poker is a huge part of the poker world now so you have to use it in a large part of your considerations of the best player. P.S.-It always annoys me when you hear some pro say, "he's not a top player because he never plays in the biggest cash games." My response is, "your not the best player because your not consistently winning money in the toughest tournaments." Tournament poker merits just as much consideration as cash game poker!

1. Hellmuth - The man is a WORLD CHAMPION and has 9 freaking bracelets. BY far the best player player in the world. Also has killed the cash games.( Read his blog for details)2. The Mouth - The man won the TOC and Poker Superstars and never wins a race. Who else can win without ever catching a break and never winning a race?3. Greg Raymer - The man was the WORLD CHAMPION 2004 and almost again this past year. Amazing player. Great alround player.4. Joe Hachmen - He proved he was one of the best in the world by beating the largest field in history. 5. Chris Moneymaker - He embaressed Ivey in 2003 with his sick call and went on to teach Farha a few lessons. BLUFF of the century.
thats gotta be a joke right
think about it: whoare the 5 best rappers in the world?Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, and Dylan(this thread is one big opinion, nothing else)
Because I spit hot fiahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!by the way.... id sayCunninghamIveyNegreanuHellmuthReeseno particular order.I know most will disagree.... Just off the top of my head, didn't think about it too long.
Tournament poker merits just as much consideration as cash game poker!
Respectfully disagree. Cash games will always be the true test of poker greatness. Tournaments are fun, but it doesn't take half the skill or mental toughness to be good at a tournament than it does to be a top cash game player.Also, there is a lot more money being thrown around in a higher up cash game. Like Barry Greenstein wrote: Follow the money.
In no order....Johnny Chan-Two back to back wins followed by a 2nd in the WSOP. 10 bracelets overall in a variety of games. His style of calling in positions where other top players would raise is unique. A top player in every sense of the word. Great to see him staying ahead of Phil Hellmuth too. One of his weaknesses is though, he is not a top player at all forms of poker. He isn't as bad as some ie he doesn't just specialize in ''No-Limit texas hold 'em tournaments'' or ''Pot-Limit Omaha short handed cash games'' for example, he can play many games, but he is not a great player at all games.Barry Greenstein-Great at everything. One of the top cash game players in any game. Maybe he is more known for his nickname [the robin-hood of poker] more than his genuine talent and skill in poker. His book, Ace on the River, backs this up too. In my opinion, he has no real weaknesses. The only thing I would like to see him do differently is maybe show some bit of emotion, instead of just sitting there like a statue, even a smile when he wins a hand, or sympathetic look when he knocks a player out of a tournament. Not too much emotion of course, cause one of the great things about Greenstein is he isn't a tv player, but a little bit more wouldn't hurt.Daniel Negreanu-His talent of knowing where he is in a hand is absolutely amazing. He always wants to be the best at all games. A true poker genius. He is also just about as good a spokesperson for poker that you could ask for, good sense of humour, relatively normal looking, good personality and fairly intelligent. His weaknesses aren't directly related to his game (in fact, I think he could become the best player in the world if he realy went for it), its more that he doesn't want to play poker 24/7, and doesn't have the same drive a player like, for example, Phil Ivey has. I can completely relate to how he feels (although for me, it's not poker) and its fine, but so long as he fully concentrates when he does play, he'll still be at the top.Phil Ivey-Where to start ? Firstly, he seems to be, at least from tv appearences, one of the most unlucky poker players in the world ('03 world series-knocked out by Moneymaker, the whole losing with AQ every WPT final table [something like he lost 5/6 times], and his general rotten luck in the poker superstars I), but still, a) he takes it in his stride and doesnt go on a rant about it and B) he still does well even with this 'bad luck'. Now onto how good he is ! lol. Quite possibly the best ''poker'' player in the world. Not the best NLHE tournament player, not the best cash game player, not the best player at draw poker, but the best 'poker' player. He's top class at tournaments and cash games, and all types of poker. He has exceptional drive, great emotional control, great heart and excellent stamina. The only weakness I think he may have (and it could be argued that this not a weakness, but rather being too good) is that he plays cash games when a tournament finishes for the day, and sometimes plays in tournaments thinking about the cash game coming up afterwards. I think I read on greensteins website that when there wasnt a cash game on, Phil won the tournament, this happend in Monte Carlo and somewhere else that I can't recall.I always hate choosing the final person to fill up theese lists. Gus Hansen, Chau Giang, Chip Reese, Dan Harrington, Jennifer Harman, Andy Black, Carlos Mortensen, Howard Lederer all come to mind. But if I had to narrow it down, it would be either Chip Reese or Gus Hansen. Chip is considered the best poker player in the world, while Gus is a pure genius. Time to flip a coin, heads for Chip, tails for Gus.....ok it was heads.Chip Reese-Has been playing the 4k/8k (and the 8k/16k when there was one) since the beginning of time. Surely he must be the biggest overall winner, possibly Doyle Brunson. He doesn't play many tournaments, for the simple reason that he has no need to, but when his kids told him that they never saw him on tv, and didnt believe he played poker, he decided to play in the WPT event in Tunica, and got to the final table ! In my opinion, that had to be the most memorable final table in WPT history, theres even a book named after it ! Dont know what weaknesses he has, but the obvious is that he doesnt play many tournaments. :club:
i'm pretty sure that was chau giang. and the thing about his kids was on an episode of the wsop.and the guy whose list included moneymaker and varkonyi...... you must be kidding.

1. phil ivey: cash game god, tournament champ, andy beal spanker2. david benyamine: seems to be killing the biggest game as of late3. patrick antonious: tournament champ, mahatma slayer, holdem phenom, and plays in biggest PLO games in europe4. ted forrest: wins NLHE tournaments, beats the best in holdem when it's supposed to be his weakness, and is probably the best stud player on the planet5. barry greenstein: consistent cash game and tournament playeri thought about putting chip reese in there somewhere, but frankly i just haven't heard anything about him lately. don't know if he's still winning. doesn't overly impress in tournaments. only news i've read about chip in the past few years is that he got beat by beal for nearly 8 million(according to todd brunson). i'd love to see daniel's list, i'm sure it wouldn't include barry.

They all have diferent strengths / weaknesses depending on cash games vs tournaments, Limit vs NL vs PL HE, Hold'Em vs other games, etc... I think in the end though that Phil Ivey will beat them all - I see him all the time at Bellagio, TV, everywhere there is a game. He's a machine. He just needs to learn how to close a tournament rather than go out at the final table without the win.