couple questions for vegas residents (vegas in july)

I'm contemplating an extended stay in Vegas from mid June to mid August. I will be bringing my wife and 3 small children (8, 6, & 3).Does anybody have any advice on a good area to rent a furnished house for this time period? Ideally a family friendly neighborhood with a pool. I would also like to be 15 to 20 minutes from the strip as I will be playing a lot.Second question is what is there to do with the family that can be done in July. My fear is that it will be so hot that we will either need to be locked in the house or in water. Any feedback on the climate during that time of year and what “normal” people do for fun is appreciated. Minimal if any strip activity is desired. Outdoor, if not too hot, museums, Grand Canyon (if not too damn hot), etc would be the target activities.Thanks!

Anyone! Help a brother out, this is not an easy sell to the wife!
Try craigslist for rentals. There are tons!There are plenty of off-strip things for the kids - there's a water park no too far, an all-year ice rink, red rock canyon (on a cooler day) - just poke around online.

Let me get this right...you want to "bring" your family to Vegas in the middle of the summer? And you plan to play "a lot". I assume WSOP...maybe I am wrong.Well...can you say blistering heat. I have been in June/July several times and it is not only hot, but very bright. I would keep the kids inside between 10-4 every day. The nights are awesome that time of year.Put it this way...Vegas is a big city with plenty to do. As for getting the kids excited...it is an adult playground, not a kids playground.Good luck!

Weather = hotter than hell. I'm talking about brutal heat. Don't let people give you the "well, it's a dry heat" crap either. Humid or not, 115 degrees is hotter than humans were meant to live in.As others have said, Vegas is not the most family-friendly place on earth. The days of their selling it that way are long gone. If you are going to drag your family to this skillet of a destination in the summer, do yourself and your family a favor and rent a place that has a pool. Otherwise, I predict divorce from your wife and later-in-life counseling for your children (which you will likely have to pay for).I love Vegas, go there all the time, but a few days at a time is all I can take when I'm traveling with my wife and children. If your wife is actually letting you move her and her kids there in the summer AND letting you go play tons of poker while she's home with crabby kids who can't play outside (other than in the pool) because of the heat, then you've figured out the mystery of women to an extent that very few others can claim. If I proposed this situation to my wife, it would be... problematic . In the words of Tarantino -- "No counseling, no trial separation. Straight divorce."

Weather = hotter than hell. I'm talking about brutal heat. Don't let people give you the "well, it's a dry heat" crap either. Humid or not, 115 degrees is hotter than humans were meant to live in.
Ok, so maybe my motives are a bit selfish. In my fantasy world I thought I could pitch this as an "adventure". The reality is I plan to play a lot of the WSOP events and did not want to fly back and forth a lot and don't want to be away from the family that long.
As others have said, Vegas is not the most family-friendly place on earth. The days of their selling it that way are long gone. If you are going to drag your family to this skillet of a destination in the summer, do yourself and your family a favor and rent a place that has a pool. Otherwise, I predict divorce from your wife and later-in-life counseling for your children (which you will likely have to pay for).
That what I was trying to confirm. I already knew the answer but I held out some hope. Most of my Vegas trips have been in non summer months. My one summer trip was unseasonable cool in the 90s. I would defineitely get a place with a pool, but even so, that wouldn't cut it. I knew the strip wasn't for kids, but I figured there was other things around; unfortunately the outdoor and natuaral options won't work when it's 110.
I love Vegas, go there all the time, but a few days at a time is all I can take when I'm traveling with my wife and children. If your wife is actually letting you move her and her kids there in the summer AND letting you go play tons of poker while she's home with crabby kids who can't play outside (other than in the pool) because of the heat, then you've figured out the mystery of women to an extent that very few others can claim. If I proposed this situation to my wife, it would be... problematic . In the words of Tarantino -- "No counseling, no trial separation. Straight divorce."
Well, turns out I have not unlocked the mystery of women. I proposed this at dinner with my wife Wednesday night. After a pause and her composing her thoughts, she said "sometimes she wishes I was just normal". I'm just going to book that as a comliment and not think it through. She was willing to do a week. Said maybe I could go for three weeks and they could come for the week in the middle. I though that was a pretty nice gesture for sure.Thanks for the feedback. Looks like my hair brained idea is yet another busted scheme.Can't blame a guy for trying though!