So I'm going to Vegas for 4 nights and want to play some 8/16 LHE while I'm there. So what I'm trying to figure out is how much bankroll I should be bringing with me. I obviously know that 300 BB is a good bankroll to play the game on an ongoing basis but how many BB would be a good idea to play say 5 sessions of 5 hours a piece (say 750 to 1000 hands)? I've tried to tackle the math on my own but I'm just not able to do it. Any help would be appreciated!And if you're feeling really generous I'd appreciate some help calculating how much to plan for playing blackjack too. I want to keep my poker and table game bankrolls separate. I want to play say 800-1000 hands of blackjack at $25/hand. If I have calculated the house edge properly, I believe it is 0.325% for the Bellagio $25 tables. I don't mind if my blackjack bankroll is completely gone after the 800-1000 hands, I'd just like a reasonable risk that I won't go bust before reaching that many hands.Thanks in advance to anyone willing to offer some help with the math!

Well that's about what I was thinking. I was thinking $1600 for poker and if I got down to $800 I'd consider moving down to 4/8 but I suspect I'd stay at 8/16 and hope for the variance to go back my way.I figured I'd bring about $650 for blackjack. Start at $25/hand and if I was down $250 early in the trip I'd drop down to $10/hand. It's just so much easier to get a seat at a table if you're willing to play $25/hand.So my rough estimate was about $2250 but I was hoping someone could provide some math to suggest a more "optimal" amount.

Posted: Sat, Feb 18th, 4:36 pm    Post subject:  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------  i usually buy in to a mid limt holdem game for 30 big bets. if you have any skill at all, $1000 should more than cover 5 days of 8-16, but i would bring 2k just to be safe.  
Anyone else catch the burn in this comment. Starts off by telling the guy if he has any skill that 1k should be plenty, then tells him to bring 2k. Maybe it was intentional maybe not but its 5am and I thought it was pretty damn funny when I read it.
Posted: Sat, Feb 18th, 4:36 pm    Post subject:  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------  i usually buy in to a mid limt holdem game for 30 big bets. if you have any skill at all, $1000 should more than cover 5 days of 8-16, but i would bring 2k just to be safe.  
Anyone else catch the burn in this comment. Starts off by telling the guy if he has any skill that 1k should be plenty, then tells him to bring 2k. Maybe it was intentional maybe not but its 5am and I thought it was pretty damn funny when I read it.
BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDahhahahahahahha That is a good burn

To do an acutal mathematical calculation for this we would need your winrate for the $8/$16 level (bb/100) as well as your standard deviation. But, even then it would be pretty meaningless unless you've logged several years of data.Honestly, it would be pretty silly to go through all this math for a temporary trip to Vegas. Just bring about $2000 for poker and drop down in limit if you start to run bad.Don't play Blackjack.

I guess the real question is: what is a ballpark number of BBs a player should bring if they are hoping to play 1,000 hands of limit hold'em if they are an average ( moderately winning, tight agressive, relatively by the book [sSHE]) player so that they have a reasonably low chance of going bust before getting to play all 1,000 hands?And I know blackjack is rigged but it's still fun and I'm still willing to gamble some money at it.

OP, why are you so concerned with playing an exact number of hands at each game?Bring enough that if you get stuck hard in one session, or moderately stuck a couple times, you can still buy in and play. $2,000 should be plenty.Don't play blackjack, or else bring as much as you want to lose playing blackjack. Not that difficult.

OP, why are you so concerned with playing an exact number of hands at each game?Bring enough that if you get stuck hard in one session, or moderately stuck a couple times, you can still buy in and play. $2,000 should be plenty.Don't play blackjack, or else bring as much as you want to lose playing blackjack. Not that difficult.
You're probably right, $2,000 is probably lots. The reason I'm so concerned is that I'd be pretty pissed off if I got out to Vegas, went on a bad run and got stuck the only 50 BB I brought in a single session. It would make the next 3 days until my flight home a long time. I just want to be reasonably sure that variance won't cut my poker playing short. At the same time, I don't have an unlimited bankroll. If I had $1 million I'd just bring that and not worry about it but I've got a few months before my trip so I've got some saving to do. I'm not concerned with proper bankroll management, per se, just enough that my risk of ruin over a few sessions is reasonably low.