who is online for a living?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do alright for myself by playing full time.MM
from the few times i've seen you play online, i'd say you do better playing live though......but yeah, same as no-neck. lose more in one session then i make a year, so power to ya i guess.
I do alright for myself by playing full time.MM
Is that the real Mike Matusow? LOL! Did he win that award last night?

I worked a side job delivering pizza as well as doubling my income (about 5-600$ a month) playing SNGs, MTTs and 50 and 100 max buy-in NL this summer. Cashed out a majority of my bankroll to help pay for school since I have little time to play with a fulltime job + classes, but I think I will give it a real shot this summer.Maybe put up an investment of 1000 towards a bankroll and see if I can turn it into the 2006-2007 school year tuition :club:

Thanks for the replies chaps!Hoos, I'll PM you with a barrage of questions if i do ever attempt such things.I'd love to be able to attempt a life at it, but my job is too good to me, and so many perks that its almost impossible to leave.But, in 3 - 5 years, if i'm living my dreams, i'l be posting from Margarita island Venezuala, playing Online on the beach as a job, drinking corona's and coco Loco's with a local 20 year old native chickita. :-)

i've been playing to pay the rent/bills (my leftover scholarship money ran out, and i can't legally work in canada) for about a year now, playing shorthanded games at 5/10 and 10/20 (1-4 tables, depending) and full ring games at 10/20 and 25/50. i also play the occasional MTT at the 50-1000 dollar buyin level.for last year, i actually made more at MTTs than i did at cash games, but the numbers were pretty close to even. that's undoubtedly due to 4-5 huge scores, which i don't expect to be a longterm trend.i'm in grad school, so i'm limited to about 15 hrs/wk of play. i'll be doing poker absolutely full time starting in september when i move to chicago. i'm actually planning on starting a blog then that describes _all_ the experiences i have living that kind of life, which might or might not make for some interesting reading as i get things up and running.

I do, but I've been playing more B&M lately since I moved up to 10/20.What I play depends on what month it is really, I play in spurts of ring games, sngs, mtts until I get bored and swtich it over to something else.I've been living off it for about 2 years now but have only relied on it as my only source of income for about 9 months.

I've been playing online professionally for 4-5 years now although I was still in school for 2 of those years. I won't lie it is a grind! When you are losing it is extremely stressful....when winning it is like you are on top of the world. I play limits any where form 2-4 to 30-60 depending on my bankroll and how seriously I want to take the game at the moment. I recently have been propping and getting rakeback which evens out the swings. Also have made alot from multitable tournies.To the poster who asked for advice on moving up limits I would say play and win some mtt and once you win one you have instant bankroll. Thats what I did....was stuck playing 1-2 to 3-6 and won 6000 in tourney and jumped up tp 10 20. Most important about playing online professionally in my opinion is bankroll management. You cant make money if youre bust. If that means grinding out at 1-2 and 2-4 to built the roll back up so be it.

I've been playing online professionally for 4-5 years now although I was still in school for 2 of those years.   I won't lie it is a grind!  When you are losing it is extremely stressful....when winning it is like you are on top of the world.  I play limits any where form 2-4 to 30-60 depending on my bankroll and how seriously I want to take the game at the moment.  I recently have been propping and getting rakeback which evens out the swings.  Also have made alot from multitable tournies.To the poster who asked for advice on moving up limits I  would say play and win some mtt and once you win one you have instant bankroll.  Thats what I did....was stuck playing 1-2 to 3-6 and won 6000 in tourney and jumped up tp 10 20.  Most important about playing online professionally in my opinion is bankroll management.  You cant make money if youre bust.  If that means grinding out at 1-2 and 2-4 to built the roll back up so be it.
worst advice i've ever seen from a "pro"
I play for a living.  Have for around 1 year now.I multi-table 15/30-20/40.   Sometimes hold 'em sometimes O8.  Also play mtts.What else would you like to know about playing for a living Royal?
hey hoosier.. i could go for some advice on how to step up to a higher level.. i have started on 1/2.. had a nice little rush, have a bit of a rollnow (150). id like to play here for abit, crush it then try out 2/4 and 3/6. maybe howt o use tracker software/etc. ify ou got time, shoot me a pm.patrick
I have a £500 BR and consider 25 max to be JUST ABOUT within my BR, 1/2NL is way to high, you will bust it out!are my BR calculations correct or can I move up? lol!
1/2 limiti buy in with 50
You're still on the fast path to brokeville. $150 is nowhere near enough to be playing 1/2 limit. 300 BB will keep you from going broke. You MIGHT be able to get by with 200 for a while, if you're consistently below that you WILL go broke eventually...it's inevitable. Play .5/1, if you're any good you can get to about $400 or so in a couple weeks, then you can maybe play 1/2 to get up to your requisite roll of $600. Good Luck.

For the last year and a half or so, my only income has come from online poker. This was when I lived with my parents though. I graduated from college last December, and have been playing "professionally" since then. Although I'm relatively new at being an online pro, I can already see how it can be a grind. I've averaged probably about $500/wk playing $50 sngs at party and $5/10 at pacific since the beginning of the year, and have recently about doubled my playing time to get more serious. I pay all my bills with this money. My roll is around $3k total at the moment. You can check out my blog in my sig, I update usually about once or twice a week.And I see people talking about rakeback.... what sites can you still get it from and what are the best affiliates to use?? Excuse my laziness for not searching, but it seems pretty on-topic. I already have accounts with party, stars, poker fantasy, pacific, full tilt, bodog, fcp, titan poker, and noble poker... and if I'm correct it has to be a "new" account to get rakeback most of the time. What are the best ones besides these listed and where do I go to get rakeback??

I currently just play poker to pay all my bills right now while im in school. Take in on average 500 a week for 25-30 hours of play. Works out well as I can choose to "work" whenever I wish.I am however gonna start working a normal job when spring hits.Poker is too much of a grind. " A hard way to make an easy livin"

For me Poker is my only job but i wouldn't say im playing for a living im also a university student. I play mostly 5/10 shorthanded and MTT's if i can't find a job i might consider playing poker for the summer. I'm currently averaging 3.5 BB per hour and i usually play two tables, however thats only over about 3500 hands which obviously isn't enough to determine a long term rate.

I just can't get the same results online that I do live, so playing online for a living woulnd't be a good choice for me. I do OK, but not nearly as well as when I play at a B&M.