holding over pair on a suited flop...

Last night I came acrosss a hand that still bothers me this morning. I forgot to get the hand history but I remember it all too well. I am sitting at a 100NL table at party poker with about 135 dollars. Villain has 180+, I have been raising in position all night with good cards and have taken several uncontested pots but have shown the goods at the river. I am on the dealer position and Villain is on my immediate right. Everyone folds to the Villain who limps in. I find Q :D Q :club: and raise it 4x BB. Both blinds fold and Villain Calls.FLOP: 3 :D 6 :D 8 :) (Pot is $10)Villain Checks. I raise $10Villain uses time all the way down to about 3 seconds left and raises me to $40. At this point..I really feel I have the strongest hand but what concerns me is that I am not holding a club. If one of the Queens were a club I am likely to call here. Part of me is thinking he limped in with 33 or 66 and was scared of me holding a club. But the raise was too big, it screamed he was trying to take the pot away. I eventually folded.Please critique this play and let me know what you would have done. What do you think the Villain had? The more I think about it i should have pushed.

Last night I came acrosss a hand that still bothers me this morning.  I forgot to get the hand history but I remember it all too well.  I am sitting at a 100NL table at party poker with about 135 dollars.  Villain has 180+, I have been raising  in position all night with good cards and have taken several uncontested pots but have shown the goods at the river.  I am on the dealer position and Villain is on my immediate right.  Everyone folds to the Villain who limps in.  I find Q :D Q :club:  and raise it 4x BB.  Both blinds fold and Villain Calls.FLOP:  3 :D 6 :D 8 :)  (Pot is $10)Villain Checks.  I raise $10Villain uses time all the way down to about 3 seconds left and raises me to $40.  At this point..I really feel I have the strongest hand but what concerns me is that I am not holding a club.  If one of the Queens were a club I am likely to call here.  Part of me is thinking he limped in with 33 or 66 and was scared of me holding a club.  But the raise was too big, it screamed he was trying to take the pot away.  I eventually folded.Please critique this play and let me know what you would have done.  What do you think the Villain had?  The more I think about it i should have pushed.
I think you were probably beat here. The raise is pot-sized, so that's not out of line for a raise to protect a good hand. If I get bluffed here, I'm not too upset. If we're ahead, we're a 2:1 favorite. If we're behind, we're totally crushed.

Any read on the villian?I'm guessing you're beat here too. But I sense he doesn't have the nut flush. Perhaps he has just QJ of clubs. However, it's be good to know the nature of your uncontested pots. Did you always bet on the flop and people folded thinking you had the goods (like top pair)?He could make this play if he's sensing you just have a pair.

Nice lay down IMO. Even if we are ahead, he may have many outs. If we are behind, we may be drawing to runner runner boat.The only hands that jump out at me that he might make this play with that we beat are PP 10s and lower (that didn't trip), but would he have limped with those in the CO? Most good players will likely raise with a PP that late in position if it has folded around.

Last night I came acrosss a hand that still bothers me this morning. I forgot to get the hand history but I remember it all too well. I am sitting at a 100NL table at party poker with about 135 dollars. Villain has 180+, I have been raising in position all night with good cards and have taken several uncontested pots but have shown the goods at the river. I am on the dealer position and Villain is on my immediate right. Everyone folds to the Villain who limps in. I find Q :D Q :club: and raise it 4x BB. Both blinds fold and Villain Calls.FLOP: 3 :D 6 :D 8 :) (Pot is $10)Villain Checks. I raise $10Villain uses time all the way down to about 3 seconds left and raises me to $40. At this point..I really feel I have the strongest hand but what concerns me is that I am not holding a club. If one of the Queens were a club I am likely to call here. Part of me is thinking he limped in with 33 or 66 and was scared of me holding a club. But the raise was too big, it screamed he was trying to take the pot away. I eventually folded.Please critique this play and let me know what you would have done. What do you think the Villain had? The more I think about it i should have pushed.
what's there to think about??
I think you were probably beat here. The raise is pot-sized, so that's not out of line for a raise to protect a good hand. If I get bluffed here, I'm not too upset. If we're ahead, we're a 2:1 favorite. If we're behind, we're totally crushed.
for sure... even the 2c beats if another club falls