what to do to get off tilt?

Well last night I went on TILT (as opposed to tilt) for the first time. My all-in pre-flop was called by a ridiculous hand ("had to call - possible straight") and I was pretty shocked.It took awhile for the TILT to set in, but an hour later I was starting to steam. Now, the next day, I am still mad. Mainly, though, I'm mad because I can't seem to let this one go :? 12 hours later I should have forgotten this, no??I'm not upset so much (conciously anyways) about the hand itself, but as I said more because I let (and am letting it) affect me still. I have never had a hand frustrate me like this before. I've lost bigger amounts, etc, so thats not it.What tricks/tips does everyone have to help them get off tilt?

sexual stuff helps. (seriously)I'm horrible for tilting, also go into a cheap SnG, and just act like a douche, push very often, and type in stupid non sense.try lower cash games, and just raise everythinggood luck.also a cold beer helps

I just play counter-strike. Heh.Usually when I get a 4:1 ratio I figure I'm off tilt and it's safe to play poker again w/o losing cash. That's just me though

Time...If you think you are going to continue to play in a manner in which you normally would not, then DON'T PLAY. Do other things and come back to poker when you can play normally. If this is 10 minutes, fine. If it is a week, that's OK to.I read somethin once that stuck with me. The worst thing that can happen when you Tilt is that you win. You then begin to think that tilting is OK... that one has ALWAYS stuck with me.If I feel it coming on I'll also play really tight for a couple of rounds until I calm down. If I don't calm down, I quit. Hope this helps!

sexual stuff helps. (seriously)
Yeah, just be a man and rub one out. Obv.
You don't find that jerking while tilting causes chafing?Not that I'd know or anything. But....it does.
Time...If you think you are going to continue to play in a manner in which you normally would not, then DON'T PLAY. Do other things and come back to poker when you can play normally. If this is 10 minutes, fine. If it is a week, that's OK to.I read somethin once that stuck with me. The worst thing that can happen when you Tilt is that you win. You then begin to think that tilting is OK... that one has ALWAYS stuck with me.If I feel it coming on I'll also play really tight for a couple of rounds until I calm down. If I don't calm down, I quit. Hope this helps!
This is sound advice. And it's something that I still struggle with. But I have to take 3-4 days off sometimes before I feel like I'm really ready to play well again. It makes me wonder if I'm really cut out for this sometimes...
This is sound advice. And it's something that I still struggle with. But I have to take 3-4 days off sometimes before I feel like I'm really ready to play well again. It makes me wonder if I'm really cut out for this sometimes...
I think we all do to some extent. I KNOW I do, both tilting and just being bull headed. I did it last night, but quit while I was still actually ahead and booked a small win instead of what would have almost certainly been some kind of a loss. My goal is not to stop it (I never will be able to), but to limit it a little more all of the time.

Here is what I recommend.1. Punch the wall2. Break your monitor but only if you have a spare….3. Kick the dog4. Heavy amounts of whiskey5. Slap your wife a few times (she likely deserves it any way)6. My personal favorite. Pickup some chick at a bar and give the roughest “backdoor love” she ever had…Some combination of those things works every time… : )

Thanks for the suggestions!

Punch the wall
tried that
Break your monitor but only if you have a spare….
then I would only have dual monitors...besides this was a live game. I thought about punching him, but he just doesn't know any better and I don't really want him to learn...
I read somethin once that stuck with me. The worst thing that can happen when you Tilt is that you win. You then begin to think that tilting is OK... that one has ALWAYS stuck with me.
This sounds like very good advice.
sexual stuff helps. (seriously)also go into a cheap SnG, and just act like a douche, push very often, and type in stupid non sense.try lower cash games, and just raise everythingalso a cold beer helps
tried all four! Sexual stuff helped me sleep but the wife was glowing this AM and I was scowling - not good, esp today :club: SnG was a wash, cash game was good cause I won back my live game buyin + rebuy, and the beer(s) contributed to the scowl :wink:I think some time off is called for. It should be easy to justify not going online tonight :D I really want to play though as I feel I have been playing much better in the past 2 weeks or so and want to keep it up.I'm sure I'll see you on the tables soon. Ask me how I feel about 56off next time you see me :roll:
Here is what I recommend.1. Punch the wall2. Break your monitor but only if you have a spare….3. Kick the dog4. Heavy amounts of whiskey5. Slap your wife a few times (she likely deserves it any way)6. My personal favorite. Pickup some chick at a bar and give the roughest “backdoor love” she ever had…Some combination of those things works every time… : )
I concur, Dr.

Recently i've found myself experimenting with alternatives lifestyle perameters based largely on the freelove philosophies found in the collected works of the Momma and the Pappas. Maybe this would help you out.

How about a nice Samuel Adams, always a good choice.2004_02_samueljackson-thumb.jpg
Woh - Samuel Adams was black? I had no idea :wink: I can't get Sam Adams around here, but I did not feel I was settling with my Granville Island English Bay Pale Ale.I guess I'll just go where I want to go, do what I want to do...
How about a nice Samuel Adams, always a good choice.2004_02_samueljackson-thumb.jpg
That must be the angriest looking beer drinker I ever saw. Of course I didn't look in any mirrors last night...
Woh - Samuel Adams was black? I had no idea :wink: I can't get Sam Adams around here, but I did not feel I was settling with my Granville Island English Bay Pale Ale.I guess I'll just go where I want to go, do what I want to do...
Thats not a Samuel Adams,its a Samuel L Jackson

I find that using my girlfriends cat for a soccer ball for about 10 minutes helps me feel better. But now that little freakin furball sees me walk in the door and runs for his life. Now the chase is part of the fun..... :wink: