gsn high stakes poker

thank you mr. einstein' date=' i understand odds, i understand long run, and im quite sure i know the odds of 2 preflop hands better than you.my point was that in NL you have tremendously increased volitility, and that i'd rather be happy at the end of a day that i grinded a steady profit than i would having done a full day of work only to see it all go in one hand. let me ask you this, if barry was the one with the KK and sammy had the AA, do you think all the money would not have ended up in the middle of the table? why do i want my whole stack in the middle preflop due to a cold deck?[/quote']You obviously don't understand NL poker. Typically good players have far LESS volatility in NL poker. Sure there will be hands where you will lose your stack (just part of the game and it should be expected) but there should be many more where you double up or win big pots. Typically a very good player will have a much higher session win rate in NL vs Limit. Very much easier to exploit poor players in NL and make poor players make BIG mistakes. Since Barry G. is a main topic of this thread...read his book...he quotes he is a 57% session winner playing limit and a +75% winner playing NL.
i understand NL poker. if i showed u my NL tourny results i think u'd agree.however which game is more profitable becomes a more complicated question with the concept of multi tabling.my NL game is good, but i doubt highly that i could make more money playing NL than i do playing 6-8 tables of limit, where all my decisions are virtually automatic and instantaneous.
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That last hand was unbelievable! Not just because it was AA vs. KK, but I actually thought that Sammy might lay it down. That would have been SICK if he had. He pondered for like 5 minutes on it. I don't think there was any way that he was deciding whether to call or push. There's no way a player like Sammy is going to call half his stack pre-flop with KK. I think he was seriously considering laying it down!Now, I know all the people on this forum who say NEVER EVER, EVER lay down KK pre-flop. The odds that you're up against AA is so low. That might be true in a tournament against a short stack with high blinds. But in a cash game against a raise and a re-raise and an all-in on the last hand of the session. There are a very limited number of hands that Barry would push against a re-raise pre-flop against another relatively equal stack to him. He's got to have AA or KK and since Sammy had KK, hard to put Barry on the 2 case K's. Sammy had to have a pretty good idea of what Barry had and was really considering laying it down.Now, how Barry wouldn't have taken Sammy up on his offer to run it twice after Sammy felt bad about sucking out on him is beyond me. That is definitely -EV. At that point Barry was a 9-1 dog and to not take Sammy up on his offer to run it twice, that's just dumb, but it does show a lot of integrity if Barry has a rule about never running it more than once. He definitely gave away a lot of equity there.
He didnt give away any equity. Running it multiple times reduces variance. Why would anyone offer to run it multiple times if it took money out of their pockets?
El,There's one thing that puzzles me. On one hand Barry raised and Jen called and then Sammy pointed to Jen and said something like "that scares me".Kaplan said that Jen was probably mad at Sammy because "he should not tell the table that he thinks Jen has a big hand."Is this really a big deal? These are skilled players and are more than capable of interpreting bets and calls for themselves. Is this nothing more than another playful comment from Sammy? Or would Jen really take offense at something like this?
ya i was wondering that too. Kaplan said that Harman was mad about that but I don't know if she really was or not. They all have played with each other plenty off camera I'm sure so I think have an idea for whats ok and whats too much. As long as your not Shieky.
She may have been annoyed--but I don't think she was in the kind of rage that Kaplan seemed to think she was. There's plenty of money on the line and Jen's a big girl--if it bothered her or pissed her off, she woulda said something.

Since she has not crammed a handful of chips down sheik's mouth I doubt the sammy comment bothered her.

Daniel, I thought you made really great reads once again in this week's episode. Having said that, i'm curious how you felt after watching the hand play out that Sammy kept going on and on about how tricky he played it.To recap (i hope my memory serves me correctly), you had 10 8 vs Sammy's AK FLOP 6 8 x (2 diamonds)TURN KRIVER K (diamonds)Your read was apparently that he was on either a straight draw and/or flush draw. Since the K of diamonds came on the river, Sammy's bet wasn't really callable and in all liklihood you were beat . What i really want to know though is, had a blank come on the river and Sammy made a similar type bet, would your read change and would you have acted differently? Take Care,Ryan