On party poker playing the $25 no-limit tables I'm in the BB with Q-5 off. It's folded around to the button who calls as does SB, I check. The flop comes 8-5-5. SB checks, I bet $1, Button reraises to $20. SB folds and I think about it. The only hands he could have to beat me with are 8-8, A-5, or K-5. I called and he turned up 8-8. Would you have been able to get away from this hand or is this one you have to call down and deal with the loss?Thanks,Dice

At lower level, Party this seems like an insta-call.
Is this ever NOT an insta-call, unless for some reason you know this player very well and he overbets with the nuts?
I think the implied understanding is that people at this level often overplay their hands. You'll see them pushing all in with top pair, AK, or overpair as often as having a full house (in fact, the full house folks tend to slow play). At these levels, a push can often be an indication of a donk bluff.The bet would give me pause, but I think I would have to call given that I think more than 2/3 of the time (at these levels), that big raise does not represent the nuts.
Is this ever NOT an insta-call, unless for some reason you know this player very well and he overbets with the nuts?
I think the implied understanding is that people at this level often overplay their hands. You'll see them pushing all in with top pair, AK, or overpair as often as having a full house (in fact, the full house folks tend to slow play). At these levels, a push can often be an indication of a donk bluff.The bet would give me pause, but I think I would have to call given that I think more than 2/3 of the time (at these levels), that big raise does not represent the nuts.
Agreed. Is there an Echo?
On party poker playing the $25 no-limit tables I'm in the BB with Q-5 off. It's folded around to the button who calls as does SB, I check. The flop comes 8-5-5. SB checks, I bet $1, Button reraises to $20.
Pretty nice raise 19 times your bet.
SB folds and I think about it. The only hands he could have to beat me with are 8-8, A-5, or K-5.
Having a set with only one in you're hand is dangerous business. You forgot 8-5 btw.
I called and he turned up 8-8. Would you have been able to get away from this hand or is this one you have to call down and deal with the loss?
I usually will pay someone off in this spot but lets see if we can get away from it. It's a limped pot which means there's plenty of hand variety in there. I wouldn't put the button on 88's as much as I would have put him on 8-5o, especially in a limped pot. Most player on the button w/ a medium pocket pair are going to raise. I think he played the hand well. He limped, showing weakness, you hit your 5 on the flop, and he hit his overset. It's pretty standard poker, but I would think about your post flop play. Now if he's raising to $20, he's pretty much yelling to you I have a great hand OR I have the balls to bluff you $20 on the flop when you bet $1.Most of the time, they have it. I want to say, "Go ahead and fold and wait for a better spot." But that's not the case 9/10 times your going to call this $20 with a set, in a limped pot, it's just unlucky you ran into 88's.
Thanks,Dice