I don't think Matusow is that bad of a guy. He seems to have a lot of friends in the poker world so he can't be annoying everyone too much. As for him being a drug addict, I don't think that's true. I heard he was a recreational cocaine user, but has stopped a few years ago.
he just got out of prison last year for possession...hmmmmm....
Don't do that.
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Matusow is that bad of a guy. He seems to have a lot of friends in the poker world so he can't be annoying everyone too much. As for him being a drug addict, I don't think that's true. I heard he was a recreational cocaine user, but has stopped a few years ago.
he just got out of prison last year for possession...hmmmmm....
Don't do that.
ok, i won't. :wink:
He also has severe ADD and I wouldn't be surprised if he was a manic depressive as well.Lets face it the dude has serious talent, he is a love or hate person. Personally I love the guy, he is funny as hell and to me he has more class than a lot of other players who just abuse a player *cough Hellmuth cough* Matusow just gets himself emotionally involved in a hand which puts his emotions on his sleeve when he looses a big pot and also tilts him easily.
who knew Ben Wallace was so articulate?? and interested in poker!
hahahahaha nicely done
He also has severe ADD and I wouldn't be surprised if he was a manic depressive as well.Lets face it the dude has serious talent, he is a love or hate person. Personally I love the guy, he is funny as hell and to me he has more class than a lot of other players who just abuse a player *cough Hellmuth cough* Matusow just gets himself emotionally involved in a hand which puts his emotions on his sleeve when he looses a big pot and also tilts him easily.
lol. There is NO way that Hellmuth abuses players more/worse than Matusow. Hellmuth calls players donkeys a lot when they outdraw him, Matusow gets confrontational and flat out insults people all the time. For example, his confrontation with Raymer the year he won. Hellmuth doesn't do anything that bad.

I like him, I respect his game, and I respect his drive and enthusiasm.However, I have listened to the circuit episodes, and I think we can all agree that he is a compulsive liar/exagerator. Not in a bad way, but like those friends we all knew in school that would tell a different story every day that contradicts the story from the previous day. Or that agrees with someone, and later agrees with someone else on something that totally contradicts what the first guy said. just an example that comes to mind, is something like:"I've never read a poker book in my life ""I've only read one book in my life, holdem poker by sklansky""I've never read any poker book"(on the greenstine episode) "Greenstines book is great, I read it in jail, its the only poker book Ive ever read"next day "Ive never read a single poker book."I just think it would be funny to hold a conversation with him..

I like him, I respect his game, and I respect his drive and enthusiasm.However, I have listened to the circuit episodes, and I think we can all agree that he is a compulsive liar/exagerator. Not in a bad way, but like those friends we all knew in school that would tell a different story every day that contradicts the story from the previous day. Or that agrees with someone, and later agrees with someone else on something that totally contradicts what the first guy said. just an example that comes to mind, is something like:"I've never read a poker book in my life ""I've only read one book in my life, holdem poker by sklansky""I've never read any poker book"(on the greenstine episode) "Greenstines book is great, I read it in jail, its the only poker book Ive ever read"next day "Ive never read a single poker book."I just think it would be funny to hold a conversation with him..
he still contends the only reason hellmuth won the nhupc was that he was in jail...at least he can keep that story straight :club:

Mattusow's awesome. His confrontation with Sheikhan was classic, definitely one of my most favorite moments of last year's WSOP(Even though Tiffany Willamson is right up there..)I don't think I have ever laughed that long at something before.But as soon as he knocked out Sheikhan, instead of talking serious trash, "classless Mike" got up and congratulated him on his game. Yeah, what a terrible SOB he is.

lol. There is NO way that Hellmuth abuses players more/worse than Matusow. Hellmuth calls players donkeys a lot when they outdraw him, Matusow gets confrontational and flat out insults people all the time. For example, his confrontation with Raymer the year he won. Hellmuth doesn't do anything that bad.
the funniest thing ever was when espn showed a clip of matusow talking about hellmuth. matusow says "im nowhere near as bad as phil! phil calls people idiots, i would never do that!" and then espn cuts right to a clip of him saying to someone "you're an idiot"the reason you gotta love matusow is that while all the other famous pros pretend to be these perfect people, matusow fully admits, and celebrates, the fact that he's a giant fckup. in order to be a good poker player u gotta be emotionally even-keel and thats why ivey, ferguson, lederer, etc. are so freakin boring. how can u blast the only guy in poker that provides entertainment?keep it real mike, we love u.

Matusow is awesome. So what if he cried when getting AK beat by AQ in a 10k buyin? I know he got busted for cocaine, but that doesn't mean he is a drug addict. How many cokeheads are that fat?

Matusow is awesome. So what if he cried when getting AK beat by AQ in a 10k buyin? I know he got busted for cocaine, but that doesn't mean he is a drug addict. How many cokeheads are that fat?
Golden, especially the line about "what coke head is that fat"....
the funniest thing ever was when espn showed a clip of matusow talking about hellmuth. matusow says "im nowhere near as bad as phil! phil calls people idiots, i would never do that!" and then espn cuts right to a clip of him saying to someone "you're an idiot"the reason you gotta love matusow is that while all the other famous pros pretend to be these perfect people, matusow fully admits, and celebrates, the fact that he's a giant fckup. in order to be a good poker player u gotta be emotionally even-keel and thats why ivey, ferguson, lederer, etc. are so freakin boring. how can u blast the only guy in poker that provides entertainment?keep it real mike, we love u.
A very good point, its probably what endears me to him. He is so brash but for all of it he is so flawed. He beats himself up more than he beats on anyone else. There is an old saying in writing, a hero is only as good as his flaws... lets face it Matusow has a lot of flaws

You know, I think Matusow is, by far, the funniest person to listen to, especially on "The Circuit" and a certain NWP interview that is now legendary. There were a couple times though, when he was on his meds, and he was just extremely depressed. It sounded like he was seriously contemplating suicide, and suicide is not something that should be joked about. I really am afraid that we're going to lose him b4 his time.

Don't get me wrong I think Mike is a great player after all his accomplishments, but have any of you watched him play on Full Tilt. He plays like he was holding the crack for himself, and smoking it before he turned is computer on. Almost every hand he is in is a Matusow blow up.

I just saw the clip of Matasow telling Raymer he had little bitty balls while Mike had giant Cohanas. I spit out my drink when Mike put his two fingers together and was in Raymer's face telling him how itty bitty his balls were.I will compare Mike Matasow to John Daly. Most people would tell you if guys like John and Mike lived the "clean life" they would be 100 times better than they are now. But how do we really know. Could their demons be the reason they are as good as they are now? If they did lead a "clean life" we may never have heard of them because they may not have made it? How does one really know?

I just saw the clip of Matasow telling Raymer he had little bitty balls while Mike had giant Cohanas. I spit out my drink when Mike put his two fingers together and was in Raymer's face telling him how itty bitty his balls were......and then Raymer won the Main Event and five million dollars and took most of Matusow's chips.
Yeah..you're right, that was funny when Raymer completely owned Matusow.
I just saw the clip of Matasow telling Raymer he had little bitty balls while Mike had giant Cohanas. I spit out my drink when Mike put his two fingers together and was in Raymer's face telling him how itty bitty his balls were......and then Raymer won the Main Event and five million dollars and took most of Matusow's chips.
Raymer didn't own Matusow. He sucked out. However, it was good entertainment.
What!?!?! No he didn't..go watch that big hand again..Raymer has nut flush draw and overcards...that's 15 outs..before the flop Raymer was the favorite, after the flop when they got all in, Raymer was the favorite, and then the best hand won.
What!?!?! No he didn't..go watch that big hand again..Raymer has nut flush draw and overcards...that's 15 outs..before the flop Raymer was the favorite, after the flop when they got all in, Raymer was the favorite, and then the best hand won.
I guess you forgot about the AK vs AQ.
If Matasow would have done that routine on somebody that he busted would it have been funnier? My point was not Raymer, but the fact that Matasow was freaking hilarous doing that routine.
I just saw the clip of Matasow telling Raymer he had little bitty balls while Mike had giant Cohanas.  I spit out my drink when Mike put his two fingers together and was in Raymer's face telling him how itty bitty his balls were......and then Raymer won the Main Event and five million dollars and took most of Matusow's chips.
I guess you forgot about the AK vs AQ.
hmmm..actually, no, I don't really recall that hand from memory. Was that a big hand where Raymer got all in as a significant dog against Matusow and sucked out to win a huge pot?? I don't recall Raymer ever doing that except for at the final table a couple times....I do remember that he took most of Matusow's chips though...and he won five million dollars and the Main event bracelet. Tell me about Raymer's AQ vs. Matusow's AK.
I just saw the clip of Matasow telling Raymer he had little bitty balls while Mike had giant Cohanas.  I spit out my drink when Mike put his two fingers together and was in Raymer's face telling him how itty bitty his balls were......and then Raymer won the Main Event and five million dollars and took most of Matusow's chips.
If Matasow would have done that routine on somebody that he busted would it have been funnier? My point was not Raymer, but the fact that Matasow was freaking hilarous doing that routine.
i'm thinkin he probably did do something similar to that routine at some point to someone other then raymer. but the other guy didn't bust matusow and then go on to win 5 million bucks. so it didn't leave as much of a zing
i'm thinkin he probably did do something similar to that routine at some point to someone other then raymer. but the other guy didn't bust matusow and then go on to win 5 million bucks. so it didn't leave as much of a zing
I guess my whole thing about the situation has nothing to do with Raymer or anybody else. What I thought was absolutely hilarious was that a 40 year old grown man would do something like that. It just cracked me up. I don't care who busted who, I just spit my drink out when I saw a grown man in the face of another grown man rubbing his thumb and pointer finger together saying "you got little bitty balls". Its just hilarious.
I guess my whole thing about the situation has nothing to do with Raymer or anybody else. What I thought was absolutely hilarious was that a 40 year old grown man would do something like that. It just cracked me up. I don't care who busted who, I just spit my drink out when I saw a grown man in the face of another grown man rubbing his thumb and pointer finger together saying "you got little bitty balls". Its just hilarious.
there are very few grown men in poker, and i think even matusow would agree that he would not be in that group.
I like him, I respect his game, and I respect his drive and enthusiasm.However, I have listened to the circuit episodes, and I think we can all agree that he is a compulsive liar/exagerator.  Not in a bad way, but like those friends we all knew in school that would tell a different story every day that contradicts the story from the previous day.  Or that agrees with someone, and later agrees with someone else on something that totally contradicts what the first guy said. just an example that comes to mind, is something like:"I've never read a poker book in my life ""I've only read one book in my life, holdem poker by sklansky""I've never read any poker book"(on the greenstine episode) "Greenstines book is great, I read it in jail, its the only poker book Ive ever read"next day "Ive never read a single poker book."I just think it would be funny to hold a conversation with him..
nicely done.

Mike is entertaining on tv and I love watching him...........BUT...I better never hear him call Hellmuth or any one else a cash game donk....Ive seen this guy daily LOSE HIS ASS...how he talks about daily 100 k loses and makes the most idiotic calls and plays ive ever seen on Full Tilt and UB...openly begging for money...the guy is a degenerate sick ****ing gambler