I was watching deal or no deal and couldn't help but think that a poker player would do well in that game. I mean it's really similar to poker. It's like calculating pot odds. What a great game. Can't wait until the March episodes come out.

I was watching deal or no deal and couldn't help but think that a poker player would do well in that game.  I mean it's really similar to poker.  It's like calculating pot odds.  What a great game.  Can't wait until the March episodes come out.
I've thought about this before and I dont know if you could apply the same concepts. Poker is all about long term expected value, where as you will only be on the show once and even though a decision would be +EV, it may not be the correct move.I think it would be interesting if we could get some discussion going on optimal strategies for this.
I was watching deal or no deal and couldn't help but think that a poker player would do well in that game.  I mean it's really similar to poker.  It's like calculating pot odds.  What a great game.  Can't wait until the March episodes come out.
I've thought about this before and I dont know if you could apply the same concepts. Poker is all about long term expected value, where as you will only be on the show once and even though a decision would be +EV, it may not be the correct move.I think it would be interesting if we could get some discussion going on optimal strategies for this.
Making the move that's most +EV is the optimal strategy regardless if you are right or not when you choose to make a deal or not.
Does anybody else get mad when people make -EV decisions on game shows most notably, "The Price is Right"?  I'm such a math geek.
Acting last on bidding and then betting 1 over the highest bid = +EV
Does anybody else get mad when people make -EV decisions on game shows most notably, "The Price is Right"?  I'm such a math geek.
Betting anything other than 1 over someone else or $1 when you're last to act = -EV
Betting anything other than 1 over someone else or $1 when you're last to act = -EV
There are numerous times when it is +EV to bet $1 when you're last to act.
There are numerous times when it is +EV to bet $1 when you're last to act.
I know, that's what I said, maybe I didnt convey what I was thinking clearly enough. I meant that the only plays are $1 or $1 more than someone else when you're last to act.

the most annoying thing about wheel of fortune is when the player knows what the puzzle is, then spins the wheel and hits a $2,500 spot, and then say L when there is only 1 L instead of saying F when there are 3 F's. And then they solve the puzzle.

pot odds aren't simple in deal or no deal. the offer is always below the expected value from the remianing dollar amounts, because you have to consider future actions as well. if theres 2 or 3 left, then sure its easy. but if theres 15 left and you're choosing 4 more and you don't know what you'll hit and what the new offer will be, i can't imagine how you'd calculate EV.

A few things on this game1. You cant look at this as a poker game. You can calculate EV but for the most part it wont matter2. Think about this situation...You have a guaranteed 500,000 but u can risk that for 1 million on a 50/50 situation....but if u miss you only get 64000...Well an EV calculation says you should always go for the million. but the good majority of us would never do it. Why? b/c the value of the first 500k in our minds is much higher than the value of teh 2nd 500k. We could say that the 2nd 500k is icing on the cake if you will. A much better situation is to look at a game like "lets make a deal" in which you pick 1 of 3 cards...1 card has a car, 2 cards have nothing...the Host will show you 1 card that doesnt have anything behind it and then you get the option of switchin cards or not...The question would then be should you ever switch cards

A much better situation is to look at a game like "lets make a deal" in which you pick 1 of 3 cards...1 card has a car, 2 cards have nothing...the Host will show you 1 card that doesnt have anything behind it and then you get the option of switchin cards or not...The question would then be should you ever switch cards
you should always switch cards.