How many of you are conducting your own version of Smash's experiment? I am conducting one of my own. I don't want to get into results right now because I only have @ 800 hands in that I have kept records on. One benefit of doing this has been that I never really appreciated before how important bankroll is. Also, I didn't have a full understanding of the normal swings of poker. I would like to hear from anyone else who is doing "the smash thing".

My goal hasn't been to hit $1000, but I did put in $50, and I am working my way up.I do this pretty recreationally, though, so whenever I hit $100, I cash $50 out.Maybe someday I'll venture higher. Someday...It's not too difficult to duplicate though. I've been tracking the last week or so particularly carefully, and I'm having several sessions with double-digit BB/100 in the positive, and only one negative session so far.One interesting thing that I'm noting so far: my BB/100 number is so far inversely proportional to my Showdown win percentage. Granted, my showdown percentage has never been below 40 or above 80 in this experiment, but the loser day I had a showdown percentage of 79%, and in my best session (+30.39 BB/100 over 500+ hands!), I only won 42% of my showdowns.I am perplexed.

One interesting thing that I'm noting so far: my BB/100 number is so far inversely proportional to my Showdown win percentage. Granted, my showdown percentage has never been below 40 or above 80 in this experiment, but the loser day I had a showdown percentage of 79%, and in my best session (+30.39 BB/100 over 500+ hands!), I only won 42% of my showdowns.I am perplexed.Probably a combination of showing down too few hands when you lose and a few too many when you win. You'll also tend tohave your best sessions in the loosest games, so you'll be showing down a lot more marginal hands there that will have value because of the inherantly bigger pot sizes in very lose games.Also could just be normal fluctuation. How many hands per sessions do you play?Also, you can have a terrible win at showdown percentage on a very passive table where it's checked around the turn and you're showing down 63 from the BB once in a while.

Normally, I'm between 200 and 300 hands, but every once in awhile, I let it ride longer, depending on the amount of time that I have. I enjoy the 500 hand sessions, but rarely have time for them. Can't really go too much more than that before I start playing badly. I'm four-tabling now, which helps the hands go by in a reasonable amount of time.There's probably something to what you're saying. I probably tighten up too much when I'm having a down session because I worry about losing too much in one session. When things are going well, I do notice that I loosen up quite a bit (and that's something I've been trying to cut back on for awhile).When I looked a little deeper behind the statistics, I noticed that in the session that I won 42% of my showdowns that I didn't go to showdown very often. I'm finding that normally I showdown about 8% of my hands or so, and in that winning session, I only showed down 6%. I also had a much better (win without showdown):(win at showdown) ratio of almost 2:1. (Normally, I'm closer to 0.8:1.)On the big loser night, the number of hands I won without showdown the whole session was 4. Not 4% even, just 4.Hmmm... that gave me some food for thought.

I started doing something similar after busting out of some tourneys on Stars - including 3 Negreanu Opens just out of the money. Took $12 and headed out to the short-season rookie league of poker, .02/.04 limit. Will play Session #16 tonight and start at $29.79, so hopefully with any sort of win tonight, I'll be moving up to the Florida State League of poker, .05/.10, next session.To put it in perspective, it's taken me about 15 sessions, approx. 4100 hands and 84 table hours to get to this point. In the 15 sessions, 13 have been up, 2 were down.Favorite hand of the run came last night. I had pocket Jacks, mid-position - and it was 8-WAY capped before the flop. J-8-3 on the flop, rainbow. More raising fun on the flop. Turn was a 6, everyone finally slowed down (bastards), but still got some callers. River was a 5. I figured no one had 4-7 or 7-9 to beat me and was right. Pot: $1.29. When someone offers you 32.25 BB in one pot, take it!

I have recently completed the $50 to $1,000 journey at the low limits on Pokerstars. i deposited $50 in October and just this past week crossed into 1,100 dollars total bankroll. I didn't quite play the way smash did (i.e. I played mostly NL 25 and Sit and Go's instead of limit) but I never did jump up past my bankroll limits. I started at .5-10 NL, went into .15-.25 and some .25-.50 NL. I also recently expanded my game into stud high and stud 8ob which I found to be highly refreshing and enjoyable. If you are planning to try and replicate such results be warned:1.) it takes a lot of hours of playing to achieve results. It fact it took me over 450 hours of total play to acheieve my results. 2.) playing more than two tables NL definately requires you to take some written notes on players as the game progresses3.) I fully believe in buying in for the full amount when playing NL. Don't be reckless but you cannot be afraid to stick in all your money when you have good instincts about a major hand. 4.) You definately need to expand your poker knowledge past hand selection and understand pot odds, the basic type of players, and how to value bet. You don't need however to make fancy plays as most players will simply call you...5.) You biggest profits will come when you showdown hands and have the best of it. Bluffing at these low limits is not advised unless it's a semibluff. 6.) definately do not play online when you've been drinking or taking other substances --> you "calling reflex" is in high gear. Respect your bankroll and play sober. 7.) Do not be tempted to withdraw money from your bankroll at ANY time. Do not think of your bankroll as income cause you ain't gonna be able to live on these pennies!there are definately a ton more tips but just be patient and treat it as a learning expierence --> that means you must be able to reflect on your wins as well as your big losses and turn each into a positive lesson. JMHeel

Every poker player does this. It is called building a bankroll. He just has specific guidlines and goals.
:D i guess that has been the value in this. I think that there alot of players like myself who learn how play and can play winning poker but they have no concept of the importance of bankroll. I would change your quote to "every goodpoker player does this.
Guest XXEddie

look what you started......wtg smash!....ill eventually start one...wont post it because pacific poker SUCKS...and I cant get hand histories...might post an update in the holdem section

I was playing Sng's entirely until finding this site and reading smash, which encourage me to read SSHE and now I've strictly been playing limit and instead of withdrawing money every week I've let it accumulate. I also fully admit that I've come nowhere close to following the 300bb guidelines. I posted about 2 weeks ago how I went into a swoon and was down to $68. Over the last 2 weeks and alot of hours logged, I'm at $904. The last week has been very good to me. Smash's column and commentary have helped extremely, being able to follow his thought process on the hundreds of hands he's posted.

• 3 weeks later...

It's such a joke that people give Smasharoo so much credit for his "experiment." Smasharoo deserves no credit for coming up with the idea. He pawned the idea from hundreds of people and is selling it as his own on this website where people are inexperienced enough to not know any better. Keep taking credit, Smash, I know it's the only thing that keeps your ego from deflating into a wrinkly pile on the floor...

Highly recommended that any player do their own version of Smash's experiment. Like has been said, it is simply building a bankroll using proper bankroll management. Not using this management is one of the most common errors committed by players. Another key point is review. There is much to be gained by carefully reviewing your hand histories and being critical of your play.

basically every low limit player on this forum is doing it now
Can I please remind you guys... Every low limit player who knows what he's doing, is doing this.... Has nothing to do with this forum, or smash. This is HOW you build a bankroll from low limits. He didn't invent it.