lottery tickets vs tournament poker

If you are better than average than you should obviously pick the tournament.If you suck at poker, you should pick the lottery.It's like Harrington said, it's basically a lottery and hes got about 3-4 tickets, meaning hes 3-4 times the chance of the average person to win.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are better than average than you should obviously pick the tournament.If you suck at poker, you should pick the lottery.It's like Harrington said, it's basically a lottery and hes got about 3-4 tickets, meaning hes 3-4 times the chance of the average person to win.
What if the average person buys 5 tickets?????? :club:
You are talking 10000 chances to win vs 1 chance to win? You would have a .0007 chance of winning the 6 number lottery if you buy 10000 $1 tickets. Your chances of winning the WSOP, if you go with the argument that x number of entrants gives you about x-1 odds of winning, are worser, much much worser.BTW i did all these calulations on my fisher price calculator, so believe me at your own risk.
LMAO... i like the use of "worser"FYI, for those who think i voted lottery, i actually voted WSOP.But to be honest, if i had 10 grand, i'd probably do neither, and buy 10k worth of coke to sell and make money that way
You are talking 10000 chances to win vs 1 chance to win? You would have a .0007 chance of winning the 6 number lottery if you buy 10000 $1 tickets. Your chances of winning the WSOP, if you go with the argument that x number of entrants gives you about x-1 odds of winning, are worser, much much worser.BTW i did all these calulations on my fisher price calculator, so believe me at your own risk.
LMAO... i like the use of "worser"FYI, for those who think i voted lottery, i actually voted WSOP.But to be honest, if i had 10 grand, i'd probably do neither, and buy 10k worth of coke to sell and make money that way
I like coke :twisted:
I hate coke. It likes me quite a bit, though.
Really? I'm not challenging you, because I have no information that says otherwise, but that seems ridiculously high. Can you tell me where you aquired that percentage?
According to the Maryland lottery website they pay out 57.7% of the lottery revenue as prizes. I assume other states are similar.

I think it's funny how you all are having a conversation and are completely wrong. The odds of winning the powerball matching 5 numbers, 1-55 and then another number, (the powerball) 1-42.The odds: 1 in 146,107,962.00http://www.powerball.com/powerball/pb_prizes.aspNow, go get me a buyin for the WSOP ME!

You are talking 10000 chances to win vs 1 chance to win?  You would have a .0007 chance of winning the 6 number lottery if you buy 10000 $1 tickets.  Your chances of winning the WSOP, if you go with the argument that x number of entrants gives you about x-1 odds of winning, are worser, much much worser.BTW i did all these calulations on my fisher price calculator, so believe me at your own risk.
I hate coke. It likes me quite a bit, though.
I just like the smell of it. I said no to drugs, but they wouldn't listen.
1 ticket or 10,000 tickets would not make a difference, i mean in general how do you feel about it? Im saying it would be extremely difficult to get a correct answer id just liek to see everyones opinion on the matter.
are u kidding?of course 10 thousand tickets makes a difference.If its lotto 6/49 and there is like 14 million possible combinations.and you have 1 ticket, thats 1: 14 millionif you have 10 thousand. thats umm.. well a lot better odds, i failed math 3 times1: 1400 i'm smrt edit: now that i think about it, thats much better odds than the 1 : 6000 WSOP ME odds
thats a fallacy... buying more than 1 ticket does not increase your chances of winningand also 10,000 tickets out of 14 million possible combinations is a negligible amount... 13990000 still remaining = 99.93% combinations left
1 ticket or 10,000 tickets would not make a difference, i mean in general how do you feel about it? Im saying it would be extremely difficult to get a correct answer id just liek to see everyones opinion on the matter.
are u kidding?of course 10 thousand tickets makes a difference.If its lotto 6/49 and there is like 14 million possible combinations.and you have 1 ticket, thats 1: 14 millionif you have 10 thousand. thats umm.. well a lot better odds, i failed math 3 times1: 1400 i'm smrt edit: now that i think about it, thats much better odds than the 1 : 6000 WSOP ME odds
thats a fallacy... buying more than 1 ticket does not increase your chances of winning
Yes it does. Buying 10,000 tickets makes you 1 to 146,097,962 instead of 146,107,962
thats a fallacy... buying more than 1 ticket does not increase your chances of winning
Yes it does. Buying 10,000 tickets makes you 1 to 146,097,962 instead of 146,107,962
no it doesnt your chances of winning are still 1/14,000,000
Yes it does, you're taking out 10,000 of the possible chances.
Wait, why the hell are you saying 14,000,000 when I'm saying 146,000,000?Also, since I cant improve my chances, if I were to, oh, let's say, buy 146,107,962 tickets, you're saying I would still be a 1 to 146,107,962 chance to win?What's that word, OWNED

if you are better than 60% of the field in the ME, then, excluding luck, you should end up being eliminated WELL out of the cash. this is a losing proposition.in order for you to expect profit you should be better than 90% of the field, approx. where the cash starts.

You are the dumbest person alive.
I think it's funny how you all are having a conversation and are completely wrong. The odds of winning the powerball matching 5 numbers, 1-55 and then another number, (the powerball) 1-42.The odds: 1 in 146,107,962.00http://www.powerball.com/powerball/pb_prizes.aspNow, go get me a buyin for the WSOP ME!
what were they completely wrong about?
To match all 6 numbers in a lottery, your odds are aprox. 1 : 13,983,816.
Notice the odds of winning has an extra digit...makes a sliiiiight difference :club:

if you are better than 60% of the field in the ME, then, excluding luck, you should end up being eliminated WELL out of the cash. this is a losing proposition.in order for you to expect profit you should be better than 90% of the field, approx. where the cash starts.This is the dumbest thing I've read on this forum in a long while.If the average player in a tournament has a 12% chance of making the money, a player who is better than average has a greater than 12% chance of making the money. If you do not understand this, then there is no hope for you - in poker and in life.

Really? I'm not challenging you, because I have no information that says otherwise, but that seems ridiculously high. Can you tell me where you aquired that percentage?
Apparently my number was a little high. I did a quick internet search and it appears that most states keep somewhere between 30% and 40%, not the 50% that I said. Still quite a hefty cut.