a qs on the bubble

I've always had problems with AQ, limit and NL. So here's a hand to look at. It was in the WWdN weekly tournament on Stars if anyone plays it. 10+1 , 125 entrys, top 18 pay, we are down to about 20. I'm looking at the preflop decisions because it was checked down after the flop. MP1 is standard, but the SB has been tight as a drum. By just calling the min raise, did I force myself into this hand? Knowing the SB is tight, I don't want to isolate with AQs, right? Call, call standard here, or does anyone fold or Raise/call? PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (8 handed) converterBB (t15609)UTG (t4167)UTG+1 (t2120)MP1 (t3043)MP2 (t7650)CO (t7481)Hero (t6650)SB (t2788)Preflop: Hero is Button with [Qh], [Ah]. 3 folds, MP2 calls t1538, Hero calls t1538.Flop: (t8514) [6h], [7h], [3d] (3 players)MP2 checks, Hero checks.Checkity, check after that.

Any pre-flop raise commits you to the hand, so it would have to be a push if you go that route. If MP2 is looking to cash and not clearly going for the win, he won't want to call you because it will cripple him if he loses...unless he's min-raising with Aces or Kings. That might be a good play for you, depending on your goals for the tourney. Once you call I think you have to call the SB's raise and fold to any bets from MP2 without a monster. It kinda looks like an attempted squeeze play from SB, but I don't think he has the chips to pull it off.

Pre-flop is fine, but I think you have to bet the flop, which is excellent for you (unless you have a historical betting pattern from MP2 that a min-raise is a monster).Against a 'standard' min raise range of 66+, A7s+,AT+,KQ you are more than a 2:1 favorite and should be playing for the side pot. If you suspect that he is a LAG player and you add mid to high suited connectors and suited one gappers you actually move up to a 7:3 favorite. (He really shouldnt be playing LAG with these blinds and stacks though).His range isnt narrowed at all by the SB push, his calling odds are too good even if you dont come in.With that kind of edge you should be making a play for the sidepot by luring him in with a relatively small bet, on the order of $500.

Pre-flop is fine, but I think you have to bet the flop, which is excellent for you (unless you have a historical betting pattern from MP2 that a min-raise is a monster).Against a 'standard' min raise range of 66+, A7s+,AT+,KQ you are more than a 2:1 favorite and should be playing for the side pot. If you suspect that he is a LAG player and you add mid to high suited connectors and suited one gappers you actually move up to a 7:3 favorite. (He really shouldnt be playing LAG with these blinds and stacks though).His range isnt narrowed at all by the SB push, his calling odds are too good even if you dont come in.With that kind of edge you should be making a play for the sidepot by luring him in with a relatively small bet, on the order of $500.
There is no side pot yet though and right now he only has Ace high and a draw. Two from the money with a chance to knock someone out, do you really bet the flop here?
There is no side pot yet though and right now he only has Ace high and a draw. Two from the money with a chance to knock someone out, do you really bet the flop here?
I would yes. Even though the side pot is dry right now building it gives you the opporunity to collect more if the flush hits, or push out a hand that missed the flop but could pair up to beat you out of the main pot.You are two away from the money, but I assume the money from 18 down to 10 is buy in plus change, so knocking out a player by cooperating doesnt carry nearly the value of picking up side pot chips and having better main pot chances.
Pre-flop is fine.
By "fine" you are saying that you typically would play AQs in late position by calling a min or stadard raise and playing conservatively post flop? That's essencially what I'm asking about, the first decision in what do do when MP1 min rasies. Throwing out what the SB does after our decision, noone pops it back here/folds? With AQs, you are looking to see the flop before making any decisions that make/break your tournament? Call me weak, but I may just fold AQo here as well. I think after that decision is made, all my other decisions aren't hard. I'm priced into calling the SB all in, and only bet if the flush hits postflop. Otherwise, I'm checking down.
Pre-flop is fine.
By "fine" you are saying that you typically would play AQs in late position by calling a min or stadard raise and playing conservatively post flop? That's essencially what I'm asking about, the first decision in what do do when MP1 min rasies. Throwing out what the SB does after our decision, noone pops it back here/folds? With AQs, you are looking to see the flop before making any decisions that make/break your tournament? Call me weak, but I may just fold AQo here as well. I think after that decision is made, all my other decisions aren't hard. I'm priced into calling the SB all in, and only bet if the flush hits postflop. Otherwise, I'm checking down.
Yes, I would just call the min-raise and just call the SBs push. AQo I might consider folding to the min-raise, and I might consider folding even AQs to a stadard raise. One cosideration here is the BB, who has a huge stack. His presence makes a larger commitment of chips riskier, but also makes the implied odds for hitting the flush very attractive.And still thinking betting the flop is clear here. If the BB were in I would check it down unless I hit the flush.