Great poker player, really bad blogger, not very smart guy, very inarticulate individual...  We didn't need a blog directly addressing your lack of formal education.  It's clear from all your blogs, that you never graduated from high school; it's evident in your writing style, and thinking process (e.g., how you discuss religion).You play poker buddy--better than most--don't be too hard on yourself, you can't have it all.
235 posts... you read my blog... you love me! I know you love me, lol. How else can you explain spending so much time at my forum. Maybe you don't know it yet, but secretly, you love me.
Love it DN....To the OP...I think you are a bit jealous of DN. DN hit the nail on the head in his reply. You are on his site all the time, obvoiusly interested in what he has to say. Which means you are trying to gain intelligence for yourself by reading his advice. If he wasn't a good writer, I don't think he would be getting paid to write columns for magazines and newspapers. He might not be Einstein, but he has a good deal of smarts. I guess you would have to have a bit of knowledge on the subject he is talking about to know it is knowledgeable, which you probably don't have. Opinions are just like a$$holes...everyone has one, that doesn't make them smart or stupid based on whether you aggree or not. Bottom line...DN is Happy, Rich, and has a good relationship with God, what more can you want in life? Sounds like a smart man to me! :wink:

I attend a top 10-15 university, so I run into "smart" people everyday, and I think I have a pretty good grasp of what makes someone intelligent and what doesn't. First of all, level of *formal* education has nothing to do with it.Second of all, have you ever played poker in your life? At its best, poker is one of most intellectual games ever, possibly more mentally fatiguing than chess.So, if you think that DN is a great poker player, then that directly contradicts your opinion that he is not smart.If you don't think it takes intelligence to consistently be good at poker, then... this post is pointless, you don't know what you're doing, and you won't be convinced.Also, I was in Tunica for DN's final table that he dominated. In the middle of hands, he would joke around with the crowd and stuff -- I remember specifically thinking, "Man this guy is the real deal" -- meaning he is extremely smart with a quick wit. IMO, humor is one of the most telling forms of intelligence, and DN def had it.Btw, I'll go ahead and mention the obvious antecdotes that Einstein failed in school at first, Jordan didn't make his high school team the first time, etc, etc.

Getarealjob, you're a fool. You need to broaden your focus/definition of "intelliigence"Poker is one of the few games, mental activities that involves a complex, rapid, sometimes sickeningly constant, at times shockingly fluid interplay between left and right brain functions. Too much left brain, then you're a robot who can't read tells and put on a good poker performance, but can recite the probabilities, and perform elaborate hand analysis like a computer program. Too much right brain, then you might be too much of a maniac--too creative-- going purely by feel, thinking you can throw the probabilities out the window and just play the man. Granted successful poker is essentially a left brain game, but without fluid access to the right brain, you lack natural card sense, cannot make magical laydowns, cannot make brilliant calls, lack any kind of competitive heart, get killed head ups (small blinds), and generally do not have a good feel for the game.And I'm not even discussing emotional control, bankroll management, negotiation skills, etc .etc. Any "great" poker player, like a Daniel Negreanu, accesses both sides of the brain more frequently than any cutting-edge astro-physicist, any brilliant watershed painter, trial-winning lawyer, prospering stock broker, or Nobel Prize winning author. Great poker players are artists, scientists, and mathematicians at the same time. Most successful people in other occupations only access one side of their brains during their entire careers. This is not the case with poker. Great poker players access both sides of the brain throughout their whole poker-playing lives.GRJ, you have a serious misunderstanding about the human mind, and how it relates to poker.Good day sir.

Getarealjob, you're a fool. You need to broaden your focus/definition of "intelliigence"Poker is one of the few games, mental activities that involves a complex, rapid, sometimes sickeningly constant, at times shockingly fluid interplay between left and right brain functions. Too much left brain, then you're a robot who can't read tells and put on a good poker performance, but can recite the probabilities, and perform elaborate hand analysis like a computer program. Too much right brain, then you might be too much of a maniac--too creative-- going purely by feel, thinking you can throw the probabilities out the window and just play the man. Granted successful poker is essentially a left brain game, but without fluid access to the right brain, you lack natural card sense, cannot make magical laydowns, cannot make brilliant calls, lack any kind of competitive heart, get killed head ups (small blinds), and generally do not have a good feel for the game.And I'm not even discussing emotional control, bankroll management, negotiation skills, etc .etc. Any "great" poker player, like a Daniel Negreanu, accesses both sides of the brain more frequently than any cutting-edge astro-physicist, any brilliant watershed painter, trial-winning lawyer, prospering stock broker, or Nobel Prize winning author. Great poker players are artists, scientists, and mathematicians at the same time. Most successful people in other occupations only access one side of their brains during their entire careers. This is not the case with poker. Great poker players access both sides of the brain throughout their whole poker-playing lives.GRJ, you have a serious misunderstanding about the human mind, and how it relates to poker.Good day sir.
I like this post.- Jordan
  • 3 weeks later...
235 posts... you read my blog... you love me! I know you love me, lol. How else can you explain spending so much time at my forum. Maybe you don't know it yet, but secretly, you love me.I love you Daniel.
hey did you know that its rude to just come out and say that some1 is uneducated? why do you feel the need to put others down.i for one find it interesting the things he writes in his blog.if you dont like him dont come to his website.keep on eating your carrots and one day you will grow up to be big and strongZING

I have been reading the blog for some time now and finally decided to join as a member, but have never been into posting here on the forum. However, I just felt I had to reply to this post. First of all, I agree that being educated does not always equal being intelliegent. I believe that almost anyone with some intelligence would agree with that point. Second, I believe that Negreanu has stated before that he uses the blog to discuss poker as well as other issues that he may just want to bring up. He also stated that if you enjoy just reading what he has to say about poker theory then you should be reading the numerous articles he has written on the subject. Many of these can be found online at the site for Card Player Magazine. Finally, I would have to disagree with getarealjob when he states that Negreanu is not a good writer, and I will tell you why.If you are looking to read about poker only, then you can read the many articles he has written. I do not think you will argue the fact that he knows what he is talking about in his poker articles. If you would, then maybe you should put your money where your mouth is and challenge him to a match. You may could even play him online at fullcontactpoker, saving you the embarrassment of a live ass whipping in public. Therefore, moving on to the blog. The blog is excellent because it gives people a "real world" account of what it is like to be a professional poker play. Historically, real life accounts of events in the first person have been some of the most valuable writings. These writings are not meant to be scholarly nor do they need to sound intellectual. First hand accounts put you there in the action and allow readers to see the human side. Think about how many people throughout history have kept journals about their everyday lives, and how these writings have given great insight to readers about life in that time or situation. Examples can be found from anywhere from the lowly in life (such as The Confessions of Nat Turner) to writings from those in the highest positions of power (such as the Memoirs of Presidents). The list goes on and on. So, maybe you want to re-think your comments. One day someone may want to write a history on poker or gambling, and they would find Negreanu's blog to be very valuable as a primary source.

Well, honestly, OP has absolutely offended a lot of people when he apparently has no clue in his "More educated than thou" mentality what is going on.My grandfather never even finished the first grade. He was originally from Arkansas (born in 1920), and picked cotton to help feed his family. This was right after his mother died, and he had several siblings to feed.Thus, at age 7/8, he was a sharecropper. No education whatsoever.The man could only spell his name, and read road signs. If you gave him any kind of document that didn't have basic english on it, he could not read it.He also didn't have a whole lot of common sense. He had enough that he was able to survive 80 years on this earth, but not enough to make his life/our lives a little easier. (example - he was a bad diabetic, knew of the problem, and had known it for decades. However, every single day, a family member would have to go to his apartment, make sure he took his insulin, and ate a healthy meal...as he had a habit of making a can of beans, dumping as much salt as he could in it, and calling that a square meal)Most people at that point would just point at him and say he was dumb as a brick. He had no clue what was going on, and that he was an idiot.What MOST people didn't know was that he was a math whiz. You could give him pretty much any mathematical problem, and he would be able to work it out. Of course, he had no idea really how he was doing it (as in it was all crude math he was doing this with), but in truth, he seriously was able to do almost any math you put in front of him.Of course, most people wouldn't know that, because pretty much wrote him off as an idiot and worthless. But in honesty, if you ever listened to some of his experiences, and ever saw him work math like I'm talking about, you would have to change your stance on his intelligence.I, in a way, follow in his footsteps. I'm a math whiz (with understanding of what I'm doing), and have ranked with a Superior level IQ. I FLUNKED out of college. Not so much flunked out, as I didn't keep a satisfactory GPA to maintain Financial Aid, and basically had to drop out, but in a sense, I did flunk out. I'm intending to go back to college and finally get my degree, because I feel ready now to undertake it.But regardless, some of my friends (those who I let in deep enough) would say that I'm good with debating and deep thinking, and will always turn to me with any math problem they don't know how to calculate.So, I guess this is my long-winded way of saying, STFUAFYOAYP.

Well this Is Nice, a Place to Cut Down a Great Poker Player. Shall I Cut him Down to? I think not. ThankYou for The Invite Daniel looks Great In here! We shall meet again, This time NL lol. Check your mail you have a message Sir. Again, ThankYou Very much Sir. Hmmmm word Sir, Means Respect, Yes? B)

But you're not exactly the brightest guy in the world--outside of poker. I read your blog for poker; however, the idiotic things you've come up with to say on your blog are just a bonus. For my friends and I, it's pure comedy. The pure poker blogs are good, but everything else is laughable. (I love how you do understand I'm a troll, and responded accordingly)
DN is smart enough to market himself in such a way that he has us reading his blog. Sure, most are here for the poker information. But it's not particularly a stupid thing to express your opinion on a wide variety of issues. That's what blogging is all about, I think. If getarealjob has a blog, and has something to say worth the effort, then he should go for it. Let's be honest...getarealjob is just trying to stir up a topic for discussion, and it has apparently worked. Good job! What's your next idea?