$50 to $1000 on pstars, the lost tilt weekend

The GoalTo turn $50 in my first Pokerstars deposit into $1000.The RulesI'll play only Limit games, primarily Holdem, though I might mix in some O8 or Stud etc. later on.I won't move up in limits without at least 300BB for the new limit. I will post hands that I win and lose and explain my thinking behind how I played them.I'm too lazy to spellcheck. Deal with it.Did I say I rarely tilt? Rarely doesn't mean never, now does it....Let me get it right out there, I tilted. I chased, I cold called raises with J9s, I inflated implied odds to chase gutshots, I pittied myself, the whole deal.At one point this weekend I was at $170, over 120BB down from the last winning session end. I was so tilted I did the thing that no one should do when they're tilting, ever, and moved up to .50/$1 to cheat out a few hands at a higher limit and put an end to my suffering one way or another. Now, because there's almost allways someone from this board watching me play I can't rationalize this tilting to myself like I could if there was no one to call me on it. That's not ego, by the way, there's litterally someone watching or playing with me who reads this project probably 90% of the time. Anyway, there it is, I tilted. Probably for a few thousand hands.It's funny how the human mind deals with things sometimes. While I was tilting away on the .25/.50 tables, I probably played my absolute best game on the $3/$6 tables I was playing at the same time. Sometimes I'd even play well at one .25/.50 table and tilt on another. I have some hands to post, some I'm not real proud of, but self examination is critical to playing and improving. Part of what let me go off so badly, I think, was me silently telling myself I wasn't going to post hands from a session where I knew I was playing off. I'm not going to give in to that, and I'll try to post some of the worst plays I made along with many of the hands from the .50/$1 session that restored my sanity and play. Let me say it clearly, don't do what I did. Don't move up in limits when you're frustrated with being sucked on again and again, it's the wrong thing to do. It happened to work out for me, but it was more luck than anything else and the fact that I wasn't even slightly concerned that I couldn't beat the game at .50/$1 made a big diffrence. Many of you reading this might be moving up to games where the play is signfigantly diffrent from where you come from and with no time to adjust to it you might be looking at a real disaster. Again, don't do it...Some hands:*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Jc Ks]Yargoal: calls $0.25gdimond: folds HUMMBABY: folds ANF0: folds bomblade: folds notsonot: folds thecandle: calls $0.25pokerdwarf: folds ank9: calls $0.15Araes: checks I call with KJ in the CO.*** FLOP *** [Kc 6c As]ank9: bets $0.25Araes: folds Yargoal: calls $0.25thecandle: calls $0.25I flop second pair with no added values from draws, and call a bet in a smal pot. Tilt.*** TURN *** [Kc 6c As] [5s]ank9: bets $0.50Yargoal: folds thecandle: calls $0.50I call another bet...with middle pair. Tilt.*** RIVER *** [Kc 6c As 5s] [Qh]ank9: bets $0.50thecandle: calls $0.50*** SHOW DOWN ***ank9: shows [Ah 3d] (a pair of Aces)thecandle: mucks hand ank9 collected $3.75 from potI pay off all the way with middle pair.Tilt.Dealt to thecandle [Qc Ac]shanio420: folds chap: folds beefnuudle: folds notwendy: folds Zorinuk: calls $0.25billycan: folds thecandle: raises $0.25 to $0.50BenGas: folds SooperGloo: folds T- TownJoyce: calls $0.25Zorinuk: calls $0.25I raise with AQs in late middle.*** FLOP *** [7d 5s Th]T- TownJoyce: checks Zorinuk: checks thecandle: bets $0.25T- TownJoyce: folds Zorinuk: calls $0.25I take a shot at the flop with my overcards.*** TURN *** [7d 5s Th] [Ah]Zorinuk: checks thecandle: bets $0.50Zorinuk: calls $0.50I catch an ace and bet it.*** RIVER *** [7d 5s Th Ah] [8c]Zorinuk: bets $0.50thecandle: calls $0.50*** SHOW DOWN ***Zorinuk: shows [As 8s] (two pair, Aces and Eights)thecandle: mucks hand Zorinuk collected $4.10 from potHands like this are what fed most of my Tilt weekend. They're not why I was down so much at one point, that was really due to hands like the first one I posted. They're more why I played hands the way I played that first one some of the time. *** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Qs Qc]stangpb: folds ANF0: folds bomblade: folds notsonot: calls $0.25thecandle: raises $0.25 to $0.50pokerdwarf: folds ank9: calls $0.50Araes: calls $0.50Marusha: folds gdimond: folds notsonot: calls $0.25I raise QQ from middle position. QQ is probably the hand that I lost the most money with this weekend, a combination of overplaying it and getting whacked on the river by assorted two pair and oddball draws.*** FLOP *** [Jd 7d Kd]notsonot: checks thecandle: bets $0.25ank9: calls $0.25Araes: folds notsonot: foldsI take a shot at a scary flop. *** TURN *** [Jd 7d Kd] [7c]thecandle: checks ank9: checksI figure I'm either dead to a queen or a diamond or way ahead, but I'm not keen on etting raised here if I'm way behind. *** RIVER *** [Jd 7d Kd 7c] [2h]thecandle: checks ank9: bets $0.50thecandle: calls $0.50I think I have to make the crying call here, even knoing I'm beat most of the time, which I am here.*** SHOW DOWN ***ank9: shows [Jc Kh] (two pair, Kings and Jacks)thecandle: mucks hand ank9 collected $3.85 from pot/shrug. It seemed like this was every hand.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Jc Ks]Yargoal: calls $0.25gdimond: folds HUMMBABY: folds ANF0: folds bomblade: folds notsonot: folds thecandle: calls $0.25pokerdwarf: folds ank9: calls $0.15Araes: checks KJ again.*** FLOP *** [Kc 6c As]ank9: bets $0.25Araes: folds Yargoal: calls $0.25thecandle: calls $0.25ME calling down all the way with second pair again. Like a fish.*** TURN *** [Kc 6c As] [5s]ank9: bets $0.50Yargoal: folds thecandle: calls $0.50*** RIVER *** [Kc 6c As 5s] [Qh]ank9: bets $0.50thecandle: calls $0.50*** SHOW DOWN ***ank9: shows [Ah 3d] (a pair of Aces)thecandle: mucks hand ank9 collected $3.75 from pot*** SUMMARY ***You don't see many people post hands where they're tilting, probably because they look at them say "What the **** was that??"I'm going to, though, because I know you'll have them too. You'll see a hand like that and think "I've been there". Maybe there are some of you out there who won't. There are definately a lot of you out there who will claim you don't :D*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [7d 7h]thecandle: calls $0.25pecopeco: folds BigMoe77 joins the table at seat #9 vision44: checks Marusha: folds cleptoman: folds evets123: folds jh901: checks I limp with 77.*** FLOP *** [8h 2s Ts]jh901: checks thecandle: bets $0.25vision44: calls $0.25jh901: foldsI bet out into a non scary flop. *** TURN *** [8h 2s Ts] [4h]thecandle: checks vision44: bets $0.50thecandle: calls $0.50*** RIVER *** [8h 2s Ts 4h] [2c]thecandle: checks vision44: bets $0.50thecandle: calls $0.50*** SHOW DOWN ***vision44: shows [4c 8s] (two pair, Eights and Fours)thecandle: mucks hand vision44 collected $3.35 from potThen check call down with...third pair. I could make an argument that it's not that bad because it was heads up, etc. But it'd be a bad one. I was just playing badly. Period.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Tc Ts]thecandle: raises $0.25 to $0.50pecopeco: folds ducktrckster: folds GoToBoy: raises $0.25 to $0.75Marusha: folds cleptoman: folds evets123: calls $0.65jh901: folds thecandle: calls $0.25I give raising TT a shot, and get three-bet.*** FLOP *** [3h 9d 6d]evets123: bets $0.25thecandle: calls $0.25GoToBoy: calls $0.25*** TURN *** [3h 9d 6d] [3d]evets123: bets $0.50thecandle: calls $0.50GoToBoy: folds *** RIVER *** [3h 9d 6d 3d] [Kh]evets123: checks thecandle: checks *** SHOW DOWN ***evets123: shows [Jh Js] (two pair, Jacks and Threes)thecandle: mucks hand evets123 collected $4.25 from pot/shrug.Anyway, enough about how much I suck at holdem. On to the hands I cheated in at .50/$1 determined to play better and hope to get a mulligan from my horrible weekend play back to $200.First, the hand that got me off tilt, which started with me thinking "most of the people at this table know my preflop play by the numbers, I'm going to raise with 89s here for the hell of it and see what happens.Makelaris: posts big blind $0.50*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [8s 9s]CharlieMurph: folds master lenwe: raises $0.50 to $1FirstEdition: folds jakespoon22: folds RakingRon: folds dna4ever: folds thecandle: calls $1TheKid313: calls $1Highcard9: calls $0.75Makelaris: folds I called a raise with it instead, now I just need a good flop.*** FLOP *** [6s Kh 7s]Highcard9: bets $0.50master lenwe: raises $0.50 to $1thecandle: raises $0.50 to $1.50TheKid313: folds Highcard9: raises $0.50 to $2Betting is cappedmaster lenwe: calls $1thecandle: calls $0.50This isn't tilt. This is the elusive straight flush draw. You've read about it. The good old 15 outer. I'm three-betting for value here and am happy when it's capped.*** TURN *** [6s Kh 7s] [5d]Highcard9: bets $1master lenwe: raises $1 to $2Hi. I've got the nuts guys.thecandle: raises $1 to $3Highcard9: calls $2master lenwe: calls $1*** RIVER *** [6s Kh 7s 5d] [Ah]Highcard9: checks master lenwe: bets $1thecandle: raises $1 to $2Highcard9: calls $2master lenwe: raises $0.25 to $2.25 and is all-inthecandle: calls $0.25Highcard9: calls $0.25Still got em...Can't raise his all in bet or I would have. Shame he didn't have .25 more, I probably make another buck.*** SHOW DOWN ***master lenwe: shows [Ks Ac] (two pair, Aces and Kings)thecandle: shows [8s 9s] (a straight, Five to Nine)Highcard9: mucks hand thecandle collected $25.25 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $26.25 | Rake $1 Board [6s Kh 7s 5d Ah]Seat 1: FirstEdition folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 2: jakespoon22 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 3: RakingRon folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 4: dna4ever folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 5: thecandle showed [8s 9s] and won ($25.25) with a straight, Five to NineSeat 6: TheKid313 (button) folded on the FlopSeat 7: Highcard9 (small blind) mucked [6d 6h]Seat 8: Makelaris (big blind) folded before FlopSeat 9: CharlieMurph folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 10: master lenwe showed [Ks Ac] and lost with two pair, Aces and KingsOverplayed AK and a set. Nice when it works out like that.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Ad 8d]Crazy Dave04: calls $0.50dna4ever: folds brsfish: folds thecandle: calls $0.50CharlieMurph: folds Jumper721: calls $0.50wraku: calls $0.25JJMM: checks I call with A8s*** FLOP *** [4d 3s 8h]wraku: checks JJMM: checks Crazy Dave04: checks thecandle: bets $0.50Jumper721: calls $0.50wraku: calls $0.50JJMM: folds Crazy Dave04: foldsI bet the TPTK with my 8s. *** TURN *** [4d 3s 8h] [9d]wraku: checks thecandle: bets $1Jumper721: raises $1 to $2wraku: calls $2thecandle: calls $1I bet for value as it's very likely have lots of outs to the best hand with the pair and the flush draw. There might be some value in a three-bet here, but not much if I'm against a set which kills a lot of my outs.*** RIVER *** [4d 3s 8h 9d] [5d]wraku: checks thecandle: bets $1Jumper721: calls $1wraku: calls $1*** SHOW DOWN ***thecandle: shows [Ad 8d] (a flush, Ace high)Jumper721: mucks hand wraku: mucks hand thecandle collected $12.50 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $13 | Rake $0.50 Board [4d 3s 8h 9d 5d]Seat 1: JJMM (big blind) folded on the FlopSeat 2: Crazy Dave04 folded on the FlopSeat 3: dna4ever folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 4: brsfish folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 5: thecandle showed [Ad 8d] and won ($12.50) with a flush, Ace highSeat 6: CharlieMurph folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 9: Jumper721 (button) mucked [8s 9c]Seat 10: wraku (small blind) mucked [3c 5c]/shrug.Dealt to thecandle [Qc Ah]dna4ever: folds dna4ever said, "gla"thecandle: raises $0.50 to $1TheKid313: folds Highcard9: folds Makelaris: folds CharlieMurph: folds dna4ever leaves the tablemaster lenwe: folds FirstEdition: calls $1jakespoon22: folds RakingRon: calls $0.50I raise AQ from EP.*** FLOP *** [2s Qh Ks]beepo joins the table at seat #4 Makelaris said, "no"RakingRon: checks thecandle: bets $0.50FirstEdition: calls $0.50RakingRon: calls $0.50Take a shot at the flop.*** TURN *** [2s Qh Ks] [Ad]Makelaris said, "well.."RakingRon: checks thecandle: bets $1FirstEdition: calls $1RakingRon: calls $1Pick up TP on the turn.*** RIVER *** [2s Qh Ks Ad] [Jh]RakingRon: checks thecandle: checks FirstEdition: checks *** SHOW DOWN ***RakingRon: shows [Qd Js] (two pair, Queens and Jacks)thecandle: shows [Qc Ah] (two pair, Aces and Queens)FirstEdition: mucks hand thecandle collected $7.50 from potCheck a real scary river card and am amazed it holds up.Anyway, I'm back on trizzyack and will be back posting, sane, rational, good poker.At least as sane as I was when I started this thing.ResultsStarting Bankroll: $204.85Ending Bankroll: $220.24Playtime: 500 million hands or something.Net: Negative $16 ishBB/100: No clue.
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good stuff... refreshing to see that im not the only person in the world that makes boneheaded plays or gets sucked out on lol...as you well know smash, you will get em next time...still really enjoy these posts man, thanks for taking the time out...

Thank you for the post. We are all guilty of tilting. Like improving poker skills, reads on players and the board, steam control is a key skill to always develope and keep sharp. I think the other thing to address is another problem -- tilting and winning. Or at least when people do that to me... boy does that test my resolve. :wink: I've tilted and won sometime - this really serves to teach you the wrong lesson.The biggest problem though is not admitting you have mistakes. Smash, thank you for being better than (it seems like all) the "poor" players who never seem to admit they are wrong.

Isn't that just bad play? Limping 77 UTG and betting into two overcards? The other guy had you beat with an 8 but still made two pair. I don't see how you could be mad about him calling with a better hand than yours.The AQ vs A8 hand, don't you want them calling you with weaker hands? Poker is about the long run, constant +EV plays. I wish people would always call me down with weaker Aces, because they will miss their 3 outer far more than they will hit it. Have you read Lee Jones' book?

Very cool post, as always.I think it's important that you are willing to share the bad along with the good. And your posts (especially this one) are extremely beneficial to newer players like myself.Thanks!

Isn't that just bad play? Limping 77 UTG and betting into two overcards?  The other guy had you beat with an 8 but still made two pair.  I don't see how you could be mad about him calling with a better hand than yours.The AQ vs A8 hand, don't you want them calling you with weaker hands?  Poker is about the long run, constant +EV plays.  I wish people would always call me down with weaker Aces, because they will miss their 3 outer far more than they will hit it.  Have you read Lee Jones' book?
i think you misread his post.he never said any opponent's play was bad. he was showing his own play was bad because he was on tilt.aseem

I did the same thing this last week although it was a combination of tilt and lack of sleep. I work nights and decided to play with not having slept in 25 hours. My bad decisions cost me $100 on a live 4/8 table. Would've cost me more if I did'nt limit myself to losing $100 per session, when I walk away.

i think you misread his post.he never said any opponent's play was bad. he was showing his own play was bad because he was on tilt.aseem
I skimmed it mostly, so some plays did look wrong. My bad. But I am interested as to whether he read Lee Jones or not.

Great post Smash, I'm kind of dissapointed that you comprimised your rules when you went on tilt :-(. It's ok though, sometimes we need to do that to reassure ourselves of how we can play (micro-limits are murder). Good luck with the experiment, I hope you don't decide to forfeit the integrity of the experiment again :-)

Great post Smash, I'm kind of dissapointed that you comprimised your rules when you went on tilt :-(.  It's ok though,  sometimes we need to do that to reassure ourselves of how we can play (micro-limits are murder).  Good luck with the experiment, I hope you don't decide to forfeit the integrity of the experiment again :-)
happens to everyone. you must remember that he's playing with his own money, even if it's micro limits. whenever you play for your own money, you will get frustrated after a terrible run of cards like he suffered.aseem
happens to everyone. you must remember that he's playing with his own money, even if it's micro limits. whenever you play for your own money, you will get frustrated after a terrible run of cards like he suffered.aseem
You totally misunderstand me then, I'm not saying that I'm angry or dissapointed in his play or that he went on tilt, I'm just kind of dissapointed that the experiment is kind of flawed now. Besides, I understand that he is playing with his own money, aren't we all?

Shrax4 is new to the forum, and he's trying to make a name for himself by calling out one of the big guns like smash....lol. Good post smash i'm rooting for ya. Just messing with ya Shrax4.

it's not really a full tilt (no pun :) ), you only went down $16, so it's not like your whole bankroll is gone of off bad/stupid plays. The funny thing is, you admit you're tilting, most low limit players will make plays like these and see nothing wrong with them, its hilarious, calling middle pair, chasing aces to the river, etc., it's all bank heh, anyways, good post, glad to see you keep it honestpeace :D

Actually this session was overdue, and Smash kinda said he expected it at some time. The 25/50 stars table are murder with some of the loosest play out there and he was do to get frustrated at the sucking out. The 50/1 tables are a tad saner though and was probably a good move to get away from the madness for a while.Good post, glad you're back on track.

Great post Smash, I'm kind of dissapointed that you comprimised your rules when you went on tilt :-(.  It's ok though,  sometimes we need to do that to reassure ourselves of how we can play (micro-limits are murder).  Good luck with the experiment, I hope you don't decide to forfeit the integrity of the experiment again :-)
I tried to stop him guys! I am just playing along my happy little regular $0.50/$1 game and in comes 'thecandle'. I told him to 'go away' and he was breaking his own rules. *Sigh*It was quite funny though within a few minutes of him sitting down there was a waiting list and observers talking. I told him he needs to work out some kinda promotional deal with pokerstars cause hes probably one of the most watched players on pokerstars.Maybe they can highlight his table and name in red when he plays or he can get some sponsor like Nike for him to say crap like "Nike shoes are the only shoes for me" every hour or something in his channels.Relative to his post, but hours after we played I went on a similiar tilt rampage. Managed to lose over 50% of my BR in last 3 days. I really need to go back to basics. I got an email confirmation for the free $75 from the instantbankroll place so I will call them today and start me a partypoker account. Also got another email for 30% depo bonus so maybe start me a few hundred dollar roll there and see how it goes.
Results  Starting Bankroll: $204.85  Ending Bankroll: $220.24  Playtime: 500 million hands or something.  Net: Negative $16 ish  BB/100: No clue.
It looks like you made $16, not lost it?Great post.

Blah. There are no micro tables at Party Poker. I'm not able to play within my BR limitations ($75).A word of warning: There are a lot of maniacs who will call raises with anything on Party. Expect many bad beats. I just lost a huge pot to a guy who capped preflop with 75o against my KK. He flopped mid-pair (Q73 board), and proceeded to call my raise. Turn was a blank, and _he_ capped the betting. River was a 5. Normally I am more cautious with KK, but this guy had been maniacal the whole time I was there. I thought I'd picked a good spot to capitalize (and I did...he only had 5 outs).My point? Be prepared for crazy suck-outs against maniac LAGers on Party. The good news is that you can bet a flopped four of a kind and be raised on every street! Turn off the chat, too.

holy cow you are a celebrity. No offense, smash, but come on people. hes trying to show you all proper bankroll management, how to play the LL tables, and all that jazz. Here we have him playing out of his bankroll, on tilt, making dumb plays trying to recoup losses from some other dumb plays. And you guys are saying, good job, way to get it back? Smash, publish your memoirs now while you have cache.

Nice to see someone else's tilt. I had my own last night as well. Flopped middle pair after middle pair. Dealt A7o over and over. When I did get a hand like QQ, the flop would invariably come AKx. I only WISH my cards had been blatantly bad so I could have folded every hand and walked away down a bunch of blinds. As it was, I called down WAY more second best hands (or worse) than I would have ordinarily, just trying to make something happen I guess, and lost a bunch of BB (20 or so) for the first time in a while.Anyway, seeing a solid player go through it is very good. For one, it's good to see that it can happen to almost anyone. It also reinforces how wrong those plays are to see you criticize yourself for making them. I think I'll go over my hand history from last night before I play again.Rog