seeking advice for large mtt home game

This Friday is the mother of all home games as about 40 guys get together for a $50 buy in MTT with the winner taking over $1000.The problem is, outside of about 5 or 6 of them, I have not played with any. The blind structure will no doubt be fast and I am sure most of the players will be playing loose and fast in an attempt to build their stacks early as the field get smaller.I consider myself to be a conservative player and then use that image later on to steal some pots as the blinds get bigger but I don't think that will work as well in this situation as most people will be pushing as they get short stacked.My thought process going in is to sit back and wait for hands. Try to get in as many cheap pots as possible and hope to hit a monster.Advice on this strategy in this type of game? Also from what I am told the other players range from great to below average but I don't think I will have enough time to sit back and see who is who.Thanks in advance.

Early on don't just go in with any crap, but lower your starting standards slightly and when (hopefully) you get a good hand, push it. Don't try to be tricky with people who have no clue what you're doing.