I must get these kinda cards(A,6 A,5 A4 etc.) at least a dozen times during tourneys. I never know though when to play them because whenever i manage to pick up an A low card and i hit an ace on the flop im always worried about my kicker. When would be the best time to play these hands. I seem to be folding them often when theres a raise and like 1 or two callers. I think that these aces are causing a leak in my game somewhere

I usually fold A-rag in any position. Exception: I will usually play any suited ace at least to the flop.Note that I don't advocate this as necessarily being a profit-increasing move, and this is probably a leak in MY game. :DBut as you said, to avoid kicker problems, I usually don't play any ace off-suit below, say, A10, and even that's a stretch. If I pick up an ace on the button or in the blinds, I MAY try a blind-steal with it, but I really don't want to see a flop with it. Again, for the reasons you mentioned; hitting the ace is actually even scarier than missing it usually.

Guest XXEddie

Alowx is usually bad to play anytime usless in SB or BB if im not, full table i wont play A7 and below here whyflop of; A K 8yeah aces....but bad kickerflop of(lets say i have A4)4 9 Jtop kicker.....but bad pair

There's a reason you get 2 cards, and since you only get 2, they both better be good. I fold Ax in any position, x being 9 and lower. If it is suited, I will try and see the flop, but I refuse to call any decent raise with them. The only real flop you can hope for with Ax is hitting two pair, or trips with your x, and thats about the only time your hand will be safe. Also, if you hit 2 pair you always have to worry the other guy will hit a higher 2 pair, or the board will pair and your 2 pair just got outkicked.

Again, for the reasons you mentioned; hitting the ace is actually even scarier than missing it usually.
That is so true. I think I play similar to most here; Muck the A rag and maybe see the flop with it suited.

i will always fold A-x off unless i am on the button and everyone has folded to me, in which case it is a 3 handed game and my hand figures to be good. i think once it gets down to 4 handed, i would play any ace aggressively, but in a full table: ick. suited is a limp, sometimes i raise A8s and above in middle to late pos.

• 4 weeks later...

Ace-rag is a hand you play for two pair, the nut flush, and the occasional straight (which is never the nuts if you use both cards). You get into trouble with Ace=rag when the A hits the flop and you start betting your top-pair hoping to draw your kicker (3 outer). Not the best move, but if you understand the risk of playing Ace-rag and you know how to play position, you can profit well with them. I love to steal blinds with Ace-rag in tournaments, and I love it even more when the rare occassion comes where you get to bet at top pair of 6 with top kicker to people who think you are full of it. Great times =).

The only real times I play Ax off is if I'm in one of the blinds or late position and trying to steal. It causes way too many problems if you start playing it. I will limp with Ax suited in late position if there are at least a couple callers already.Mostly Ax suited or not is not a good hand and will only get you in trouble. Obviously, as with anything in poker, how you play the hand depends a lot on your position, your table, etc, but mostly they are junk hands.

The only time I like to play A-rag is when it is suited and i'm in position. Even if i'm in position I only play it with several limpers. The reason for this being that if i hit my flush I could get several people to pay me off. If I don't hit then i get out cheap. Position is the most important thing I think though. Then again it also matters if you playing NL or Limit. If you hit a hand like A-rag suited in NL your implied odds could be huge.