this is how random donks go far in big tournys

for the [few im assuming] people who still think that if u see someone on TV it means they are definitely not a donk, this is how they get their chips - Date / Time: 2006-01-30 08:13:00Title: Barry Greenstein Eliminated On The First Hand Of The DayLog: With a board of 10h-9h-8h-3d, James Fletcher bets out $35,000. Barry Greenstein raises all in for $11,000 more. With well over $100,000 in the pot, Fletcher calls the additional $11,000 and shows As-Qc. Greenstein turn over pocket tens for a set. But, Fletcher catches the Jh on the river to complete his straight and eliminate Greenstein. James Fletcher is now has just under $200,000 chips.

you're right, we dont have all of the info as of yet. however what we do know is that the blinds were at 800-1600, and that we can deduce that barry had probably put a lot of chips in relative to his stack by the time the turn card came. anyone that knows anything about poker [which often does not include more than half the field at these 10k events] knows that a top pro isnt committing a significant percentage of his stack at this point in the tournament unless he has a hand. yet this dude still bet out 35k with no hand.

Wow! lol.  I wonder what Barry's reaction was.
He calmly signed a book and handed it to the donk. Then went off to save some starving children.
you're right, we dont have all of the info as of yet.  however what we do know is that the blinds were at 800-1600, and that we can deduce that barry had probably put a lot of chips in relative to his stack by the time the turn card came. anyone that knows anything about poker [which often does not include more than half the field at these 10k events] knows that a top pro isnt committing a significant percentage of his stack at this point in the tournament unless he has a hand. yet this dude still bet out 35k with no hand.
He had the straight draw....sw

WOW!!!!!!!!!!100k in the pot?Thate means that this guy put in alot of money in on the flop with a gutterball with a flush and a straight already on board!!!!! And he probably got raised too....This is on the short list of Donk plays of the year....and yes...i couldn't care less that he HAD to make the final call....it's the journey to that point that is so DONKalicious...WOW...what a hand....

WOW!!!!!!!!!!100k in the pot?Thate means that this guy put in alot of money in on the flop with a gutterball with a flush and a straight already on board!!!!!  And he probably got raised too....This is on the short list of Donk plays of the year....and yes...i couldn't care less that he HAD to make the final call....it's the journey to that point that is so DONKalicious...WOW...what a hand....
Again, I disagree, without more information from the hand. The pot was most certainly raised preflop, lets assume "donk" raised preflop, and Barry called. On the flop the "donk" almost certainly bet out, and Barry, knowing he had nothing, called with his set of 10's being the best hand. Barry was trapping him obviously. Turn came, "donk" bet out huge, and Barry reraises allin (for very little more), and the "donk" HAS to call. He got lucky with the J, Barry was unlucky after having made a good read and getting all his chips in with the best hand, but that's poker. Have an aggressive bluff going on and then sucking out is not always donk play, as I strongly suspect was the case here. HOWEVER, I don't like the play by either of these guys after the flop.Flop: "Donk" bets, Barry cold-calls. Warning lights should go off in head of "Donk" unless he puts Barry on marginal or drawing. Barry cold-calls. Why? He was sure he had the best hand, but what if the "donk" had a high heart? What if he had a J? Cold-calling here just asks to get sucked out on, and while Barry made a good read, I like reraising allin here with your best hand and ensuring you're around for another hand.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!100k in the pot?Thate means that this guy put in alot of money in on the flop with a gutterball with a flush and a straight already on board!!!!!  And he probably got raised too....This is on the short list of Donk plays of the year....and yes...i couldn't care less that he HAD to make the final call....it's the journey to that point that is so DONKalicious...WOW...what a hand....
well sir donks a lot. you have to imagine the pot was roughly 50k, because he raised 35k, and greenstein went over the top for 11 more, meaning he invested 46 into the pot on the turn, 35 + 46 = 81, and it states well over 100k, but doesnt say close to 200k.soo i can only imagine well over is around the 125-140k mark.meaning there was roughly 50 - 60 or so K in the potand we can imagine there was preflop raises, so either they both checked the flop. and then he made a move on barry,or alf SAP
you're right, we dont have all of the info as of yet.  however what we do know is that the blinds were at 800-1600, and that we can deduce that barry had probably put a lot of chips in relative to his stack by the time the turn card came.
If the blinds really were that big, it's amazing that they werent all in earlier in the hand. Like someone said, they probably both checked through on the flop.

Why? He was sure he had the best hand, but what if the "donk" had a high heart?He's waiting to see if a fourth heart comes on the turn. His opponent's reaction and bet/non-bet should be enough info for BG to make an all-in or fold decision should the 4th heart come on the turn. If a heart doesn't come, then it's all systems go for the rest of the money.

Holy crap, it gets worse - this guy donked out again, and now eliminated Scotty Nguyen:From Cardplayer:

The player in the 8 seat raises to $25,000 and Scotty Nguyen calls. The flop comes Kh-Qh and an offsuit 5 and Nguyen checks. The 8 seat bets out $15,000 and Nguyen raises all in for over $40,000 in chips. The 8 seat makes the call, and Nguyen turns over Ah-8h for one overcard and the nut flush draw. Seat 8 calls with pocket jacks. The players at the table, fans on the rail, and the Borgata staff are all shocked that the 8 seat can make that call with J-J. But he did, and at the moment it's the right call. The board bricks out and the 8 seat's jacks hold up. Scotty Nguyen will not make it back to back WPT wins.
Gee, who could that player have been...from Poker Wire:
On a flop of [K][Q][3] with two [ ♥]'s and about 20k in the pot James Fletcher bet 20k. Scotty Nguyen pushed in for 150k and Fletcher immediately called. The players showed: Scotty Nguyen [A♥][8♥] James Fletcher [J][J] The turn and river came blank and Scotty Nguyen was eliminated in 66th with $12,935. Jon Zuckowski went home in 65th place with $12,935.
He's dethroned Kantor as the Donkey giant killer!

If I'm reading the action correctly, the pot was at roughly 85,000 when action was placed back on him and the raise was for an additional 25,000.On the flop, he bet ... 15k into a pot of 55k (including blinds), and his opponent had 40k left.No hand that has him beat is going to fold that flop for any amount that he can bet.At the same time, he cant afford to fold now - there are too many hands in scotty's range that he has beat. So ideally, he wants worse hands to play back at him. And that's what happened. And he made the correct call.A better question is why anyone would call 25k preflop with a stack of 65k total. That was more of a 'donkey' move than anything else in the hand.

Depends upon whether Cardplayer or pokerwire's recitation is correct -- according to cardplayer, there was only $20k in the pot, and he made a pot sized bet with third-highest pair, and when called off another 130k in chips even though there were 2 overcards and a flush draw on the board -- if that ain't donkey-saurus, what the hell is.Pokerwire made it sound like there was more money in the pot before the allin, and that his flop bet was a small bet of 15k into a 60K pot, and that Scotty only had 40k, not 150k. Given his earlier story with Barry Greenstein, I'm inclined to believe the donkier version of the tale, heh.

Holy crap, it gets worse - this guy donked out again, and now eliminated Scotty Nguyen:From Cardplayer:
The player in the 8 seat raises to $25,000 and Scotty Nguyen calls. The flop comes Kh-Qh and an offsuit 5 and Nguyen checks. The 8 seat bets out $15,000 and Nguyen raises all in for over $40,000 in chips. The 8 seat makes the call, and Nguyen turns over Ah-8h for one overcard and the nut flush draw. Seat 8 calls with pocket jacks. The players at the table, fans on the rail, and the Borgata staff are all shocked that the 8 seat can make that call with J-J. But he did, and at the moment it's the right call. The board bricks out and the 8 seat's jacks hold up. Scotty Nguyen will not make it back to back WPT wins.
Gee, who could that player have been...from Poker Wire:
On a flop of [K][Q][3] with two [ ♥]'s and about 20k in the pot James Fletcher bet 20k. Scotty Nguyen pushed in for 150k and Fletcher immediately called. The players showed: Scotty Nguyen [A♥][8♥] James Fletcher [J][J] The turn and river came blank and Scotty Nguyen was eliminated in 66th with $12,935. Jon Zuckowski went home in 65th place with $12,935.
He's dethroned Kantor as the Donkey giant killer!
and just think... if the names of the players were reversed, this hand would have had it's own thread entitled "What a tremendous read/call by Scotty Nguyen!"

Wow. I cant believe scotty would make that play against a guy who would make that kind of call. I heard Matusow talking on the circuit about how scotty gets too crazy in these tournaments. Mike talks a lot of trash so at the time i wasn't about to take his words for gold, but now i can see his point.

So lets see if I have this correct. In the first hand the guy is a donk being he has the just a straight draw vs trips.Then in the second hand mentioned he is also a donk being willing to risk his pair against a flush draw?Ok, how come if he is going for a draw he is a donk but when he is playing for someone against a draw he also a donk?

So lets see if I have this correct. In the first hand the guy is a donk being he has the just a straight draw vs trips.Then in the second hand mentioned he is also a donk being willing to risk his pair against a flush draw?Ok, how come if he is going for a draw he is a donk but when he is playing for someone against a draw he also a donk?
Because he doesn't have x-ray glasses. All non-donks have x-ray glasses. Do you have x-ray glasses?