longest run of bad cards?

My cold-decking might be over. I won one of the FCP Forum Junkies freerolls tonight. It feels good.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just curious to find out what was the longest losing streak some of you FCP'ers have had to endure in during your careers?  I am currently on a 3 month run of bad beats and coolers that has seemed to defy all probability.  Without getting into the gorey details, lets just say that the nightmare hasn't ended and it's beginning to take its toll on my confidence.  This game can really mess with your head!  I'd just like some of you to share some stories of horrendous runs that went on for what seemed to be an eternity.  I think talking about this censored will help me get through this....  P.S.  I'm sure countless threads have been started on this topic, but guess what I don't care.
What most of the people in this forum don't understand is that a bad run of cards is where the skill comes in. You cannot implement SSHE to the letter and wonder why you don't win. I finally realized this out for myself. Handling your emotions and betting patterns is the skill that separates the good players from the great.You are not experiencing a bad run of cards. You are just not good enough. If you could handle your emotions and understand the flow of each game, you would have the skill to maximize your profits in any situation. That is why posting hands in the strategy section makes no sense to me. Analyzing each hand accomplshes nothing. The true winners at poker can handle their emotions and figure out the flow of each game.
I'm just curious to find out what was the longest losing streak some of you FCP'ers have had to endure in during your careers?  I am currently on a 3 month run of bad beats and coolers that has seemed to defy all probability.  Without getting into the gorey details, lets just say that the nightmare hasn't ended and it's beginning to take its toll on my confidence.  This game can really mess with your head!  I'd just like some of you to share some stories of horrendous runs that went on for what seemed to be an eternity.  I think talking about this censored will help me get through this....  P.S.  I'm sure countless threads have been started on this topic, but guess what I don't care.
What most of the people in this forum don't understand is that a bad run of cards is where the skill comes in. You cannot implement SSHE to the letter and wonder why you don't win. I finally realized this out for myself. Handling your emotions and betting patterns is the skill that separates the good players from the great.You are not experiencing a bad run of cards. You are just not good enough. If you could handle your emotions and understand the flow of each game, you would have the skill to maximize your profits in any situation. That is why posting hands in the strategy section makes no sense to me. Analyzing each hand accomplshes nothing. The true winners at poker can handle their emotions and figure out the flow of each game.
You sir are 100% wrong. sorry to say it, but i'm down over the last 2 days losing key hands to idiots.1 that sticks out still is a donk who called two cold on the flop with a gut shot and hit itand its that stuff that sicken me.I took a breath, slowed down, called him a donk, he said "who me?" i asked, do u always just try to get lucky when u call?his answer was simple. "Yep"
I took a breath, slowed down, called him a donk, he said "who me?" i asked, do u always just try to get lucky when u call?his answer was simple. "Yep"
I think you just qualified the paragraph you put in bold. Really it is in the down time when you are losing that you become a better player and better at self control. Most of the time you won't win through your great play, you win through other players mistakes. That is a very key thing to remember.Maybe it's key to remember just before you call someone a "donk!" and try to educate them on proper play. Just because you lost to a gut shot doesn't negate the above post. Also, I don't think (going out on a limb here) that the above post was directed to someone catching a 4 outter. Rather I think a very important point was made that maybe bad runs are due a lot to inexperence. I know a ton of hands that in the begining I thought were bad beats but, latter concluded that I was just not good enough to lay a hand down knowing I was beat.Very rarely have I (and I'm sure others) ever sat down at the end of a winning session and try to figure out why I did so well nor, have I let it eat me up for a week or two. It's usually when I'm in a down swing that I recall that night and try to figure out what I did right.A lot of times I think if you haven't gone broke at least 10 times or been on a losing streak longer than a month, then it's one of two reasons. Either you havn't been playing long enough or you're just not that serious of a card player. Maybe just because it's happend to me -- but, I find it to be valid. My appoligies for the spelling.

I am going through the same thing right now. For the last 14,000 hands I have lost $23. Its like you said, make a gain and then lose it back to a series of 2 outers and runner runners. It can affect your play. I think that it has affected my postflop play by making me push a little more than I would normally. Pushing small edges and staying with hands that I might not have stayed with. I am really examining my postflop play and eventually the cards will come around. It is frustrating without a doubt to lose with your big hands - and expensive. The cards will come though, I am just trying to make sure that I am not developing bad habits during this streak. good luck and I hope that your streak (and mine) ends soon.

currently on a huge run of bad luck...im afraid to update my blog because i dont want to actually type what ive lostive gotten my money in with the best hand almost all of the time and it seems they had the 3 or 6 outs they need. its sickening. i try to examine my play, but i am playing the same way i was earlier this year when i was up bigis this just variance? im getting sick of iti take breaks, i switch sites, nothing helping right nowso frustrating

Definitely a topic worth talking about.Would love to hear DN's thoughts or a Card Player article about this.Any thing else written other than the Matros book?

What most of the people in this forum don't understand is that a bad run of cards is where the skill comes in.  You cannot implement SSHE to the letter and wonder why you don't win.  I finally realized this out for myself.  Handling your emotions and betting patterns is the skill that separates the good players from the great.You are not experiencing a bad run of cards.  You are just not good enough.  If you could handle your emotions and understand the flow of each game, you would have the skill to maximize your profits in any situation.  That is why posting hands in the strategy section makes no sense to me.  Analyzing each hand accomplshes nothing.  The true winners at poker can handle their emotions and figure out the flow of each game.
You see, I am experiencing a run of bad cards and I am good enough. If I wasn't capable of maintaining emotional control at the table this run woud've been even more detrimental to my bankroll. Now I'm not saying I'm a perfect player that is capable of maintaining my A+ game during an extended streak of colddeckers and bad beats, but I do however have the discipline to make huge laydowns despite taking numerous beats previously. Your comment is suggesting that there is no such thing as a run of bad cards and any professional will tell you thats 100% inaccurate. To quote Gigabet: (there is another thread discussing his posts over at 2+2 somewhere in General) Everybody will eventually run worse than they thought was possible. The difference between a winner and a loser is that the latter thinks they do not deserve it. I am currently running worse than I ever thought possible, and I agree with one of the previous posters comments that this is the true test of a player. I am trying to pass this test.And as for your comment about posting hands in strategy section not making sense to you...... I rest my case.

I've been playing online for almost 3 years now, and didn't have a losing month in my first year. Then for about 4 months about a year ago I was getting the cold deck as you are now. Getting rivered by 1,2, and 3 outers constantly. I was down over a g and decided from that point onwards I was gonna make it all back with good play because the variance would eventually turn my way. Since then, I have made it all back and more, had another 2 month run of bad cards, and then been extremely hot the past month or so. A lot of this has to do with variance if you're not playing an obscene amount like 8 hours a day, lol. My advice is:1. Switch games, you were talking about switching to limit, you can try playing that in smaller stakes than you usually play, initially. You can also try Stud or Omaha, Omaha personally worked for me.2. Play less poker until you are back in the groove. Don't completely stop playing, but I found the #1 thing that separates my almost winning sessions from my winning sessions is being in the mood to play, and paying careful attention to my opponents and my own decisions each time. 3. Switch sites, there are so many sites out there, I think I've signed up for more than 15 in the past 3 years. Sometimes a new site will bring new luck. If you are playing live, try playing online more. Also, DL PokerTracker or even purchase it, if you play at any of the sites it can track, such as PartyPoker. It can help you analyze your own play and see if it's all really bad beats or if you could've made better decisions, possibly preflop hand selection.Hope this helps. And trust me, the variance you're experiencing will change eventually, it's only a matter of time if you're playing well.

if you;'re on a 3 month run of bad beats i suggest taking up a new hobby.On another note, my longest run of crap cards in a row is 126 hands.not 1 pocket pair, not one hand containing two face cards, and everyace was a offsuit 6 or worse.
This is what Royal told me to do in a post recently. It seems he has low self confidence and can only validate his self worth by denegrating others on the net.why dont you shove your zit faced head up your zit infested ass and tongue your internal hemmerrhoid until it runs puss down your throat.Then once you've achieved this, i want you to pull your head outand let me **** start your faceIt seems he has low self confidence and can only validate his self worth by denegrating others on the net.
I'm just curious to find out what was the longest losing streak some of you FCP'ers have had to endure in during your careers? I am currently on a 3 month run of bad beats and coolers that has seemed to defy all probability. Without getting into the gorey details, lets just say that the nightmare hasn't ended and it's beginning to take its toll on my confidence. This game can really mess with your head! I'd just like some of you to share some stories of horrendous runs that went on for what seemed to be an eternity. I think talking about this censored will help me get through this.... P.S. I'm sure countless threads have been started on this topic, but guess what I don't care.
Question - how many hands have you played and tracked in some manner. Because your theory that good players don't go through tough times of losing money is incorrect. If you are playing correctly, you will lose a lot of money when your flopped str8 loses to a full house on the river. Unfortunately, when you put a string of these types of beats together, you are going to lose money. I was just wondering if you had any idea of the chance element in poker. It is gambling!
I've been playing online for almost 3 years now, and didn't have a losing month in my first year. Then for about 4 months about a year ago I was getting the cold deck as you are now. Getting rivered by 1,2, and 3 outers constantly. I was down over a g and decided from that point onwards I was gonna make it all back with good play because the variance would eventually turn my way. Since then, I have made it all back and more, had another 2 month run of bad cards, and then been extremely hot the past month or so. A lot of this has to do with variance if you're not playing an obscene amount like 8 hours a day, lol. My advice is:1. Switch games, you were talking about switching to limit, you can try playing that in smaller stakes than you usually play, initially. You can also try Stud or Omaha, Omaha personally worked for me.2. Play less poker until you are back in the groove. Don't completely stop playing, but I found the #1 thing that separates my almost winning sessions from my winning sessions is being in the mood to play, and paying careful attention to my opponents and my own decisions each time. 3. Switch sites, there are so many sites out there, I think I've signed up for more than 15 in the past 3 years. Sometimes a new site will bring new luck. If you are playing live, try playing online more. Also, DL PokerTracker or even purchase it, if you play at any of the sites it can track, such as PartyPoker. It can help you analyze your own play and see if it's all really bad beats or if you could've made better decisions, possibly preflop hand selection.Hope this helps. And trust me, the variance you're experiencing will change eventually, it's only a matter of time if you're playing well.
TY for the response Gilbert. Much appreciated.I'll look into PokerTracker and I'll likely check out some other sites as well for bonuses and a change of atmosphere. A little change never hurts.I just need to regain my confidence and avoid the fancy-play syndrome that a previous poster mentioned. I find myself trying to outplay people too much when I'm running bad and I'm forgetting the #1 rule - never bluff a calling station. Just because I'm representing a certain hand doesn't mean a weak opponent will recognize the betting pattern and make a huge laydown. Failing in these attempts to "outplay" people only compounds the tilt. Once I have my head back on straight I will begin the long rebuilding process. Thanks again. All sound advice.

if it helps you smile in the last week i busted51st(pays 50) 2 times and4th in sngs 10 times in a row,EVERYTIME with the best hand going in, like AKs vs A10 off etc... i was close to tossing my laptop out the window and wondering: why am i even doing this? :doh:

Longest run of pocket pairs where I didn't hit the set on the flop.87.87 pocket pairs that did not hit a set. Not sure of what the odds are supposed to be, but thought it was like 1 in 8 are supposed to hit a set.

Longest run of pocket pairs where I didn't hit the set on the flop.87.87 pocket pairs that did not hit a set. Not sure of what the odds are supposed to be, but thought it was like 1 in 8 are supposed to hit a set.
i think 1 in 5 are suppose to hit...87 in a row is just sik!