daniel should open a vegetarian resturant in vegas!

Great idea!!! Hmm.... lemme see, I got loads of free time! I'm also going to open up an amusement park, take up professional bowling, knitting, mountain climbing, ending world hunger.... :-)(SW)
I definately understand what you are saying about the full plate, it is a fantastic idea. If you found the right chef with the right ideas that you could back, let the business manager handle it. But saying that, easier said then done...

Daniel, If you're still watching this thread, could you give us your top 5 off the strip vegetarian friendly restaurants you like in Vegas?

Great idea!!! Hmm.... lemme see, I got loads of free time! I'm also going to open up an amusement park, take up professional bowling, knitting, mountain climbing, ending world hunger.... :-)(SW)
... actually i'm cool with world hungermatt
If you do that, the rumors are REALLY going to start flying...
Yeah you know, we haven't heard any rumors, we just don't want them to start :club: Just whatever you do Danny, no prostitution rings...
  • 9 months later...
Open up a pottery shop so everyone stops sending you there own creations.
I didn't know you were a bowler. I could see you and the golf group meeting at a bowling alley in Vegas when the weather is terrible. That sounds like a lot of fun to watch.
Not with a vegetarian restaurant you wont.
Not with a vegetarian restaurant you wont.
Actually..it's funny you should mention that... :club: Evolving to a vegetarian diet would be one of the best things for world hunger. If the United States was to cut down meat production by just 10%, the land freed could produce enough grain/calories to adequately feed 60 million people a year. That is just one of many astonishing facts... "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." - Albert Einstein
Actually..it's funny you should mention that... :club: Evolving to a vegetarian diet would be one of the best things for world hunger. If the United States was to cut down meat production by just 10%, the land freed could produce enough grain/calories to adequately feed 60 million people a year. That is just one of many astonishing facts... "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." - Albert Einstein
if God didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them taste so good!kkcountry (currently considering the south beach diet bc he's a fatass)
if God didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them taste so good!kkcountry (currently considering the south beach diet bc he's a fatass)
True...he probably wouldn't have made them out of meat either. :club:

Eating meat is one of the greatest things you can do to contribute to society. I don't want to get into the specifics as to how, but everyone knows that you'll find the highest quality meat at Burger King. You'll also find video games for the XBox 360, DN pay attention, I know you have one of those.

Cattle are major contributors to greenhouse gases and global warming. Therefore, by killing them and eating them, you are saving the planet.

Cattle are major contributors to greenhouse gases and global warming. Therefore, by killing them and eating them, you are saving the planet.
It's hard to tell whether or not this is sarcastic...
its true, they fart a lot..a lot of methane and co2
I understand that....it's the second part that I was questioning: "Therefore, by killing them and eating them, you are saving the planet."Quite a ridiculous idea. By killing and eating them, you're not decreasing the numbers, you're increasing the demand and therefore increasing the number of farting cattle and pigs. 42 million beef cows and 115 million pigs are killed each year in the US alone. Those numbers are unbelievably high because we breed them at an incredible rate...it's not just simple voluntary procreation.
Actually..it's funny you should mention that... :club: Evolving to a vegetarian diet would be one of the best things for world hunger. If the United States was to cut down meat production by just 10%, the land freed could produce enough grain/calories to adequately feed 60 million people a year. That is just one of many astonishing facts...
Is vegetarian better for everyone? maybe. Not arguing the benefits. I tried it when I was younger but got tired of carrots and celery.There is enough farm land in India to feed the entire world. Our using some land for raising cattle isn't hurting our ability to grow crops. I ran a shipping recieving deal for a farmer here in Palm Springs area for 2 summers, so I have a small understanding for the produce industry. The real problem with feeding the starving is transportation. Russia can grow enough food ( before communism set artificially low prices) but they can't get it to market before it goes bad. My great uncle is paid to not grow grain in North Dakota, has been for 20+ years. His land is sitting barrenish. He only hunts pheasant on it now.Argue the health benefits if you want to make your points, your above arguement is not really valid. I would like to know more about why I will benefit, I don't care about cows, they are dumb, and if we didn't eat them they would be extinct.

The problem with most people eating vegetarian diets (and I assume DN knows this as well) is that most people do not get enough protein in their diet. Vegetarians need to eat plenty of beans, nuts, and stuff like tofu to maintain an adequate amino acid pool in their body. I don't think anyone ever wants to experience an amino acid deficiency. It is an ugly ugly situation. But either way, I'm cool with whatever diet people have as long as they aren't killing themselves by doing it.Alpha

The problem with most people eating vegetarian diets (and I assume DN knows this as well) is that most people do not get enough protein in their diet. Vegetarians need to eat plenty of beans, nuts, and stuff like tofu to maintain an adequate amino acid pool in their body. I don't think anyone ever wants to experience an amino acid deficiency. It is an ugly ugly situation. But either way, I'm cool with whatever diet people have as long as they aren't killing themselves by doing it.Alpha
This is one of the biggest misconceptions out there about the vegetarian diet and is an easily debunked myth. The bigger problem in America is actually too much protein! The average American gets 2-3 times as much protein as they need which can lead to some serious problems later in life (especially if the protein comes from meat) such as osteoporosis, kidney disease, colon cancer etc. Protein deficiency is actually not that common of a problem in America even among strict vegans. In order to get a deficiency you’d either have to drastically restrict total calorie intake, or eat a totally unbalanced diet like nothing but low-protein junk foods and some fruits.I've been vegetarian for 17 years and vegan for 4 years...and have never had a protein problem. And FYI, beans, nuts and stuff like tofu are extremely healthy foods which everyone should be eating, not just vegetarians.
Is vegetarian better for everyone? maybe. Not arguing the benefits. I tried it when I was younger but got tired of carrots and celery.There is enough farm land in India to feed the entire world. Our using some land for raising cattle isn't hurting our ability to grow crops. I ran a shipping recieving deal for a farmer here in Palm Springs area for 2 summers, so I have a small understanding for the produce industry. The real problem with feeding the starving is transportation. Russia can grow enough food ( before communism set artificially low prices) but they can't get it to market before it goes bad. My great uncle is paid to not grow grain in North Dakota, has been for 20+ years. His land is sitting barrenish. He only hunts pheasant on it now.Argue the health benefits if you want to make your points, your above arguement is not really valid. I would like to know more about why I will benefit, I don't care about cows, they are dumb, and if we didn't eat them they would be extinct.
Well, my argument is absolutely valid. The vast majority of crops we grow in the United States are fed to livestock which in turn are fed to humans. This is an incredibly inefficient use of resources. A few statistics:*Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 80 *Percentage of oats grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 95 *Pounds of potatoes that can be grown on an acre: 40,000 *Pounds of beef produced on an acre: 250 *Percentage of U.S. farmland devoted to beef production: 56 *Pounds of grain and soybeans needed to produce a pound of edible flesh from feedlot beef: 16 *Fossil fuels needed to produce meat-centered diet vs. a meat-free diet: 3 times more *User of more than half of all water used for all purposes in the U.S.: livestock production *Gallons of water needed to produce a pound of wheat: 25 *Gallons of water needed to produce a pound of California beef: 5,000 *Calories of fossil fuel expended to get 1 calorie of protein from beef: 78 *To get 1 calorie of protein from soybeans: 2 The health argument is quite simple. The American Heart Association, the American Cancer Association, and many other well known health organizations can all back up the fact that a meat-centered diet leads to a higher risk of heart disease, heart attack, colon cancer, prostate cancer, high cholesterol and a very long list of other wonderful things.I don't think I can even address your absurd point about how cows would be extinct if we didn't eat them...and not caring about them because of the their inferior intelligence...Also, just so you realize I am not the only one who gives credence to the idea that a vegetarian diet is better for the environment and world hunger, please read these articles...http://www.time.com/time/reports/v21/health/meat_mag.htmlhttp://www.guardian.co.uk/famine/story/0,1...,865087,00.html