why has general started to suck?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is due to arrogant know it all veterans who think the purpose of the forum is to come up with the best most sacastic flame, regardless of the topic.
this isnt supposed to be a flame. My problem with it is just that it seems like there are 5 threads about the same thing and it isnt even anything interesting. take the things about poker and god for example. I dont think that I am an arrogant veteren, I just have noticed that genereal has gone way downhill. Everyone feels the need to start their own thread as their first post. It gets old after a while. I dont have a problem with all newbies, or even most, just the ones who post stupid things and start threads like "Hey Daniel! Im your biggest fan!" it gets old. I hate general anymore.
I think it is due to arrogant know it all veterans who think the purpose of the forum is to come up with the best most sacastic flame, regardless of the topic.
this isnt supposed to be a flame. My problem with it is just that it seems like there are 5 threads about the same thing and it isnt even anything interesting. take the things about poker and god for example. I dont think that I am an arrogant veteren, I just have noticed that genereal has gone way downhill. Everyone feels the need to start their own thread as their first post. It gets old after a while. I dont have a problem with all newbies, or even most, just the ones who post stupid things and start threads like "Hey Daniel! Im your biggest fan!" it gets old. I hate general anymore.
Oh... then I apologize, you are right, I hate all that stuff too. I blame the mods for not locking up 5 threads about the same thing. I do think the poker/god thing is interesting but I do think it a bit silly that Daniel can be both a devout and religious christian who spends his days reading the bible while at the same time makes his living gambling...
Oh... then I apologize, you are right, I hate all that stuff too. I blame the mods for not locking up 5 threads about the same thing. I do think the poker/god thing is interesting but I do think it a bit silly that Daniel can be both a devout and religious christian who spends his days reading the bible while at the same time makes his living gambling...
I agree, it is interesting, but i dont like 5 threads about it. I think i saw a Daniel thread where he explained it. but i dont have a link.
Please tell me where u got your pic of your avatar. Best avatar I have ever seen.
your thoughts on why this forum now sucks. I think its due to newbies creating to many new topics.
I find it funny that this post was made by someone who joined in Nov of 2005. I tend to count anyone who joined before me as a Vet, and anyone who joined in the month of November as someone who just wanted charter membership. I dunno, it seems odd to me for a post about how much newbies suck to be made by someone who just joined a couple months ago. I'd never presume to make a post like that. I've only been here since late July. The true Vets are the ones who joined in '04 and early '05.
It doesn't matter when it says you've joined. Personally, I've been following DN's blog for at least a year and a half, and was reading the forums but not posting until a few months ago.So having followed the general forum for about two years, I agree completely that it has gotten well, "worse". A lot of it has to do with newbs starting dumb threads, but also some of it has to do with the existing mods thinking playing "god". Some topics just should not be moved to off-topic even though they do not pertain exactly to poker, or all we will have in General is threads about the pp 750k guaranteed or stars 500k guaranteed, or the fcpfpc. It's good to have other topics interspersed among the poker threads saying come rail me. Everyone knows the general forum gets the most hits, I'm sure Daniel and the mods can confirm this. A lot of people have bookmarked Daniel's blog, and the general poker forum goes with it. 75% of people don't visit the other forums, even though they should. Having said that, the mods can't let anything be posted in general, but some topics, like Daniel and God, the Superbowl, or other generally interesting water cooler talk should be allowed to stay in the general forum. Well, that's the end of my rant. Just giving my two cents on the matter. No need to flame, we have enough of the sarcastic flaming already.
your thoughts on why this forum now sucks.  I think its due to newbies creating to many new topics.
I find it funny that this post was made by someone who joined in Nov of 2005. I tend to count anyone who joined before me as a Vet, and anyone who joined in the month of November as someone who just wanted charter membership. I dunno, it seems odd to me for a post about how much newbies suck to be made by someone who just joined a couple months ago. I'd never presume to make a post like that. I've only been here since late July. The true Vets are the ones who joined in '04 and early '05.
I think Vet status should be when you joined. I totally agree with you! :club:

I find it odd that a guy who joined 2-1/2 months ago andhas accumulated almost 1100 posts has felt the need to slam people making useless posts.Nothing personal to the OP, I have nothing against you,but I'm just sayin........

started??
But really, the amount of noise has increased. It would be nice if people had something of substance to say before posting.
Seconded.I remember that I hung out in general a ton when I first got here. Now I rarely visit.

I have noticed that some sections have an introductory thread of some sort (Off-Topic) that people should read before posting. Would it be worth it in General to have an announcement at the top of the page detailing what threads are acceptable, rules, etc?Just a thought.

I have noticed that some sections have an introductory thread of some sort (Off-Topic) that people should read before posting.  Would it be worth it in General to have an announcement at the top of the page detailing what threads are acceptable, rules, etc?Just a thought.
I don't think we want it to get all gestapo or anything, but a stickied thread about what constitutes "noise" and what constitutes "content" might help some posters see the light. I like how Paul P moderates his blog's comments pages. He just deletes noise (i.e. posts that bring nothing to a thread or are completely off topic).

I say we need a new "inhoherant rambling" forum, that should get most of the ridiculous threads off of general.It seems general has gone steadily downhill since Nov when 1K people a day were joining the VIP thing for the poker site. That's when people started blitzing the forum with useless threads.