did daniel devote his win to god?

The bible also talks about having compassion, dude. Isn't there a saying that goes something like "in order to play this game you have to be willing to break your grandmother."I'm coming across as far more critical than I mean to, but you're acting like there's no basis to the claim that gambling is against Christian values.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bible also talks about having compassion, dude. Isn't there a saying that goes something like "in order to play this game you have to be willing to break your grandmother."I'm coming across as far more critical than I mean to, but you're acting like there's no basis to the claim that gambling is against Christian values.
The bible does talk about having compassion for other people. However, you have to realize that when you are making money off of someone else in a poker game, you are not doing anything wrong. You wouldn't feel guilty as a restaurant owner when you take other people's money in order to pay your bills. Why should you feel sorry for the person who you are beating at poker? I can understand where you are coming from, but that's honestly how I see it, it's the same as making money in any other industry.
there is something unique about a religious person who gambles for a living.
IT's called bieng a hypocrite but that is what you get from uneducated people.Not a real person. And at some point in his life he will have to live with that. Like the criminal who kills 5 people and then claims to have found God. God Bless,DanielI mean whatever,Teacher keepn it real
The whole "gambling is immoral" debate that's been prevelant on this forum lately is really getting old. Daniel can do whatever the hell he wants! Who is he hurting? Oh wait, I remember why he shouldn't be playing poker and calling himself a Christian at the same time......unnecessary guilt. Isn't that what the church uses to control the masses?
The bible does talk about having compassion for other people. However, you have to realize that when you are making money off of someone else in a poker game, you are not doing anything wrong. You wouldn't feel guilty as a restaurant owner when you take other people's money in order to pay your bills. Why should you feel sorry for the person who you are beating at poker? I can understand where you are coming from, but that's honestly how I see it, it's the same as making money in any other industry.
It's one thing to exploit people and bilk them out of their money. Daniel isn't holding people at gunpoint and making them play poker with him. They bring THEIR money to the table and THEY accept the chance that they might lose it. If they can't afford to lose it then it's their problem, not Daniel's.It's so funny, because some guy who invests in the stock market is taking the same chance, not knowing whether he's going to make or lose money, but for some reason people view that as investing, not gambling. What a crock!
I also don't think for a minute that anyone would be 'getting ripped off' - discounting cheating - as people know what they are getting into ie their relative chances. Actually, they usually don't know their chances. Why do you think so many ignorant poor people from the ghetto play the lottery? The truth is, as a poker player you are actively scouting out ignorant people to play against so that you can take their money. Doesn't sound very compassionate, does it? Not that poker players are the only people that do this. Rent-to-Own stores/pawn shops/check cashing places etc prey on ignorance as well.
So bsically it's immoral to be better at something than someone else? Why should anyone be responsible and have to feel guilty because some loser who doesn't know how to play cards comes to the table? Should good players be required to run a credit check on the guy who comes to play?Now, if a homeless guy brought his last $50 to apoker table, and everyone knew this was his life savings, and they still played him to take it, that's different. But i don't know many guys who will take someone's money knowing it will severely impact their very existence. Then again, there are plenty out there who would, but I think it's the distinction between those who would choose not to play against this guy and those who would that will make your argument of whether or not gambling (i.e. poker) is "un-christian". I all depends on the person. I beleive Daniel is the type who would not bust people just for the sake of taking their money if he knew the financial hardships of the other player. And there in lies the reason why Daniel can play poker and still be a Christian.
It's one thing to exploit people and bilk them out of their money. Daniel isn't holding people at gunpoint and making them play poker with him. They bring THEIR money to the table and THEY accept the chance that they might lose it. If they can't afford to lose it then it's their problem, not Daniel's.It's so funny, because some guy who invests in the stock market is taking the same chance, not knowing whether he's going to make or lose money, but for some reason people view that as investing, not gambling. What a crock!
Yes, I completely agree with you. Poker is a calculated risk, and people need to be responsible for themselves when playing and how much money they play with, Daniel does not have to be responsible for them.
For those of you who say a Christian poker player is a hypocrite, you are dead wrong.  There is nothing in the Bible about that being wrong.   I don't know what book you are reading that you think is the word of God, but I read the Bible, the King James Bible to be exact, and that book there says nothing about playing poker.  If you disaggree, post some scriptures to back yourself up.  Your opinion must have come from somewhere...right?
it's not just poker and it's not just DN. it's almost all christians and almost all lifestyles. if christians really believed jesus' words they would give up their lives in persuit of christian causes - which DN certainly has the means to do at this point. the percentage of christians that actually do that is extremely low - most like DN are apparently just religeous for convenience to make themselves feel better about themselves. DN just happens to be a public figure living a money-seeking, personal fulfullment-based lifestyle - a poor example for a high profile christian.not that it matters to me because it's all BS anyway, but it's pretty crazy that so many christians are so superficial in their beliefs, when so much is supposedly on the line.
Did he ever claim to be this big "high profile, perfect Christian man"? Yes, you should try to do Gods' work and preach the word, but being Christian does not mean you are perfect. No one is perfect. At least DN does do some things to spread the gospel, giving away free books (by the way, thank you DN!), being open about his Christianity, etc... Maybe this is how God wants to use him. His site gets alot of visitors, many of whom are probably lost, maybe because of DN they have gotten saved. Nobody knows, but who are you to judge another mans Christian strength or weakness? People kill me claiming to be Christians, then going on and on about how other people aren't living their life right. Lets leave those judgements up to the only one who really matters, God.
For those of you who say a Christian poker player is a hypocrite, you are dead wrong.  There is nothing in the Bible about that being wrong.   I don't know what book you are reading that you think is the word of God, but I read the Bible, the King James Bible to be exact, and that book there says nothing about playing poker.  If you disaggree, post some scriptures to back yourself up.  Your opinion must have come from somewhere...right?
it's not just poker and it's not just DN. it's almost all christians and almost all lifestyles. if christians really believed jesus' words they would give up their lives in persuit of christian causes - which DN certainly has the means to do at this point. the percentage of christians that actually do that is extremely low - most like DN are apparently just religeous for convenience to make themselves feel better about themselves. DN just happens to be a public figure living a money-seeking, personal fulfullment-based lifestyle - a poor example for a high profile christian.not that it matters to me because it's all BS anyway, but it's pretty crazy that so many christians are so superficial in their beliefs, when so much is supposedly on the line.
Did he ever claim to be this big "high profile, perfect Christian man"? Yes, you should try to do Gods' work and preach the word, but being Christian does not mean you are perfect. No one is perfect. At least DN does do some things to spread the gospel, giving away free books (by the way, thank you DN!), being open about his Christianity, etc... Maybe this is how God wants to use him. His site gets alot of visitors, many of whom are probably lost, maybe because of DN they have gotten saved. Nobody knows, but who are you to judge another mans Christian strength or weakness? People kill me claiming to be Christians, then going on and on about how other people aren't living their life right. Lets leave those judgements up to the only one who really matters, God.
Who is this God person anyway? I hear all this talk about him/her :wink: But they never show up? Ummm Its a thinker.....
Did he ever claim to be this big "high profile, perfect Christian man"?  Yes, you should try to do Gods' work and preach the word, but being Christian does not mean you are perfect.  No one is perfect.  At least DN does do some things to spread the gospel, giving away free books (by the way, thank you DN!), being open about his Christianity, etc...  Maybe this is how God wants to use him.  His site gets alot of visitors, many of whom are probably lost, maybe because of DN they have gotten saved.  Nobody knows, but who are you to judge another mans Christian strength or weakness?  People kill me claiming to be Christians, then going on and on about how other people aren't living their life right.  Lets leave those judgements up to the only one who really matters, God.
if you are referring to me, perhaps you missed the part where i said christianity is BS. even so i'm compelled to point out how superficial most christians beliefs are, because they don't have a clue what they actually believe in.