did daniel devote his win to god?

God has never said there was anything wrong with being a stockbroker, real estate investor, poker player, or entrepeneur.    Seriously, you could look through the entire Bible and you won't find even one sentence that says playing poker for a living is sinful.
Yeah, but did you donate 10% of that win to the church? You should be tithing your ass off!I'm just playin. I don't even believe in Jebus.
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God has never said there was anything wrong with being a stockbroker, real estate investor, poker player, or entrepeneur.    Seriously, you could look through the entire Bible and you won't find even one sentence that says playing poker for a living is sinful.
ya but slowplaying the donk end of flopped straight with a flush draw out there is covered by Peter.
heh, i dont think poker existed back then...having said that, I am sure God is not too happy with people risking their earnings on "gambling".
heh, i dont think poker existed back then...having said that, I am sure God is not too happy with people risking their earnings on "gambling".
Yeah, I bet God's gonna talk about it in Super System II... wait a secondSeriously though, what I have read in the Gospels leads me to believe that God is just. If you live your life as a good person... I think he'll spare your immortal soul... like when judgement day comes, I'd rather be in line with DN and John Juanda then in like with the three lawyers who nail each other's wives on the weekend; or with the Enron BSDs (big swinging ...) who enjoy taking Grandma Moses' savings and buying a sixth boat with it. Mr. Negreanu, I doubt that you have concerns about your immortal soul, but IF IF IF you see some sense in what teacher says (1st i would ask HOW COULD YOU?!) but then I would recommend talking with a priest. What i find is that people like to take the "God created man in his own image and likeness" and turn it into "man created God in his own image and likeness." Seriously, I bet no one on here has the same idea about God that I have. Each seem to be unique (some vengeful some forgiving some in between)... this is why I hit the agnostic button and went to meditation, but i am rabling. Don't mean to sound preachy, just giving my 2 cents... i could go a lot longer and be more articulate
God has never said there was anything wrong with being a stockbroker, real estate investor, poker player, or entrepeneur. Seriously, you could look through the entire Bible and you won't find even one sentence that says playing poker for a living is sinful.
Yes. God is up in heaven angry at Daniel for risking his earnings on "gambling". God didn't bring him up that way, and it's a shame for him to see 1 of his billions of children using their intellect to make a good living. I bet God is pissed.I don't believe in God, but I have no problem with people that do. That's their choice, and faith really helps a lot of people so as long as it has a good influence on someone, that's gerat. I do have a problem with people that try to nitpick every little phrase out of the bible and use it to show how others are wrong. Give me a ****in break.
God has never said there was anything wrong with being a stockbroker, real estate investor, poker player, or entrepeneur. Seriously, you could look through the entire Bible and you won't find even one sentence that says playing poker for a living is sinful.
ya but slowplaying the donk end of flopped straight with a flush draw out there is covered by Peter.
Wasn't it Matthew?
Agreed, I am a christian also who has read the Bible back to front my whole life, I have never read one verse condemning playing poker for a living as a sin.

yes there is nothing in the bible about poker......but i think there is something about GAMBLING.....i dont remember where but i think there is something that saids gambling is bad.....POKER is GAMBLING..........i see DN likes to comparing stockbrokers and poker players all the time....if he knew what really went on in the MARKET MAKERS(goldman,meryl(SP),and other big companies) rooms....they are not gambling..no way.. they control everything...now there is a slight comparison he can do with DAYTRADERS...but they are not stockbrokers...yes some have their series 7 but they are not the market makers..

yes there is nothing in the bible about poker......but i think there is something about GAMBLING.....i dont remember where but i think there is something that saids gambling is bad.....POKER is GAMBLING..........i see DN likes to comparing stockbrokers and poker players all the time....if he knew what really went on in the MARKET MAKERS(goldman,meryl(SP),and other big companies) rooms....they are not gambling..no way.. they control everything...now there is a slight comparison he can do with DAYTRADERS...but they are not stockbrokers...yes some have their series 7 but they are not the market makers..
He who is without sin cast the first stone.
it does say to give up worldly things and devote your entire life to spreading god's word, though. when you start donating 95% of your poker winnings to humanitarian causes in jesus's name i'll stop thinking of you as a hypocrite.
yes there is nothing in the bible about poker......but i think there is something about GAMBLING.....i dont remember where but i think there is something that saids gambling is bad.....POKER is GAMBLING..........quote]you're walking into a dead end with that one.
A poker player makes his living by winning (taking) from others, right? I guess it's up to each individual to reason these things out though.
Can't really think of a source of income that doesn't take from others

The Bible also says to not judge one another, so all you haters who are passing judgement on Daniel should open your Bible too. "Those in glasses houses shouldn't throw rocks."

The Bible also says to not judge one another, so all you haters who are passing judgement on Daniel should open your Bible too. "Those in glasses houses shouldn't throw rocks."
the point is that almost all "christians" including DN selectively interpret the bible the way THEY WANT TO to fit their personal lifestyle and morals FOR CONVENIENCE. if you're going to do that there's no point to believing at all (not that there's a point for literalist belief either, but at least that type of belief attempts to have some logical basis).
A poker player makes his living by winning (taking) from others, right? I guess it's up to each individual to reason these things out though.
Yes, but in other instances, the person usually recieves something in return. If I sell you a computer for 2000$, it's not like you give me your money and get nothing in return.Edit: and actually there are several sources of income that don't take from others. Poker is a zero-sum game. Trade between 2 countries, for instance, isn't.
I know the thread is stupid, but when you replied, I expect something either more intelligent or more funny than that.
Can ramen noodles expire? I mean, is there like a date at which you shouldn't eat them anymore?
DUDE!!! NFW, I just asked that ??? 3 days ago..................I was hungry, so i ate emmmmm still good I think they were 8 years old...
Yes, but in other instances, the person usually recieves something in return.
This is the case with poker too. People play for a variety of reasons, entertainment, the chance of getting lucky and making millions , on opportunity for testing their skillsAll of them receive what they pay for, it's just not tangible like the PC you mention. It's more like going to the movies, buying a lottery ticket or buying a PC gameI also don't think for a minute that anyone would be 'getting ripped off' - discounting cheating - as people know what they are getting into ie their relative chances.
Edit: and actually there are several sources of income that don't take from others.
Name one
Poker is a zero-sum game.
Only in its purest form. Organised poker isn't
Trade between 2 countries, for instance, isn't.
Not exactly what point you are trying to make here. If you are suggesting that International Trade is a source of income that isn't taking from others then you're pushing an irrelevant or incorrect point. You choose.

For those of you who say a Christian poker player is a hypocrite, you are dead wrong. There is nothing in the Bible about that being wrong. I don't know what book you are reading that you think is the word of God, but I read the Bible, the King James Bible to be exact, and that book there says nothing about playing poker. If you disaggree, post some scriptures to back yourself up. Your opinion must have come from somewhere...right?

For those of you who say a Christian poker player is a hypocrite, you are dead wrong. There is nothing in the Bible about that being wrong. I don't know what book you are reading that you think is the word of God, but I read the Bible, the King James Bible to be exact, and that book there says nothing about playing poker. If you disaggree, post some scriptures to back yourself up. Your opinion must have come from somewhere...right?
it's not just poker and it's not just DN. it's almost all christians and almost all lifestyles. if christians really believed jesus' words they would give up their lives in persuit of christian causes - which DN certainly has the means to do at this point. the percentage of christians that actually do that is extremely low - most like DN are apparently just religeous for convenience to make themselves feel better about themselves. DN just happens to be a public figure living a money-seeking, personal fulfullment-based lifestyle - a poor example for a high profile christian.not that it matters to me because it's all BS anyway, but it's pretty crazy that so many christians are so superficial in their beliefs, when so much is supposedly on the line.
Edit: and actually there are several sources of income that don't take from others.
Name one
Trade between 2 countries, for instance, isn't.
Not exactly what point you are trying to make here. If you are suggesting that International Trade is a source of income that isn't taking from others then you're pushing an irrelevant or incorrect point. You choose.
I did [name one], trade between two countries. The old view used to be that for one country to gain something in a trade, the other side had to lose. But it turns out that if both countries specialize they can actually create more wealth than there would be otherwise that they both can share.Don't exactly understand why you don't think poker is a zero-sum game. In order for you to win, someone else has to lose (unless you're referencing the few instances like in Monte Carlo where a company (FTP) threw extra money into the pot). That's pretty rare for the majority of poker players. Trade creates more wealth, poker doesn't, it just redistributes it ((excluding your 'intangibles'. Do you really think that guy that lost $6000 or whatever to daniel at the 5/10 tables at the Wynn (referring to an old blog entry DN made) really went home that nite and felt the experience was worth anywhere close to $6000?))I have a feeling you're going to try to turn this into some long ass "I know more than you and blah blah blah", so consider this my last post on the topic.Edit:Diverting back to the original point...I also don't think for a minute that anyone would be 'getting ripped off' - discounting cheating - as people know what they are getting into ie their relative chances. Actually, they usually don't know their chances. Why do you think so many ignorant poor people from the ghetto play the lottery? The truth is, as a poker player you are actively scouting out ignorant people to play against so that you can take their money. Doesn't sound very compassionate, does it? Not that poker players are the only people that do this. Rent-to-Own stores/pawn shops/check cashing places etc prey on ignorance as well.

Do you really think that guy that lost $6000 or whatever to daniel at the 5/10 tables at the Wynn (referring to an old blog entry DN made) really went home that nite and felt the experience was worth anywhere close to $6000?))Why not? Really 6k to some is like $6 to others.

Do you really think that guy that lost $6000 or whatever to daniel at the 5/10 tables at the Wynn (referring to an old blog entry DN made) really went home that nite and felt the experience was worth anywhere close to $6000?))Why not? Really 6k to some is like $6 to others.

there is something unique about a religious person who gambles for a living.
IT's called bieng a hypocrite but that is what you get from uneducated people.Not a real person. And at some point in his life he will have to live with that. Like the criminal who kills 5 people and then claims to have found God. God Bless,DanielI mean whatever,Teacher keepn it real
You seriously have no idea what you are talking about. No where in the bible does it say anything about gambling being sinful. The bible encourages you to be responsible with your money, so if you are playing poker within your means of living there is nothing wrong with that at all.