Now you want me to believe the universe is the result of a "big bang" that just happened to result in planets, moons and suns forming. On one particular planet oceans and land formed, eventually plant life grew and bacteria slowly became all the thousands of different animal life. Humans over all other animals became intelligent enough to the point we are today.
More or less, yeah, you've got the idea.
  • Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any "evidence" that evolution is the way the world came into being or that God does not exist?If God doesn't exist, how do you account for things such as morality or the laws of logic?Could we see some verses in the Bible that say it is wrong for someone to play poker? What about verses condemning gambling in general?It would be interesting to see DN's response, especially to the OP...

What If God was one of us? Just a slob like one of us. Mixing religion and poker is like recieving that holiday fruitcake from your grandma. You put it in the fridge and just forget about it.

Do I reraise a loose aggressive player when he raises under the gun, and I have pocket 88 but I am one out of the money? I don't think god is helping me on that one.

Is there any "evidence" that evolution is the way the world came into being or that God does not exist?If God doesn't exist, how do you account for things such as morality or the laws of logic?Could we see some verses in the Bible that say it is wrong for someone to play poker? What about verses condemning gambling in general?It would be interesting to see DN's response, especially to the OP...
There arent any verses in the bible that have the word gambling in it, to the best of my knowledge. But, gambling is something, that to some people, can be very addicting. As a christian i have no problem playing poker. But recently i have found it taking control of my life, which is why i quit playing online and really only play for fun at home games. I think there is a thread that came up recently about greed driving people to play poker, and to play stupid at that. In Luke 12:15 it says, "Watch out, be on your guard against all kinds of greed. A man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." When we focus in on things like money and our earthly possessions it takes our eyes of of God and of what he has provided for us. It says in Matthew 6:24, "You cannot serve both god and money." Keeping our eyes on nothing but money is a terrible thing for the aforementioned reasons. But when it is for fun or entertainment, for me, i dont think of it as a bad thing at all. When it gets out of hand, and becomes an addiction, we see it turning into something that is not for the good of the christian person, and of the body of christ.Galatians 5:1 "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."
Science isn't a set of beliefs, and it is silly to compare it to something like religion. It is the logical progression of self consistent theories that are in accordince with the physical evidence of the universe that we are able to collect. No real scientist ever claims that any aspect of science is "truth" or final, because they all know that science only consists of gradually improving theories of the universe. It is impossible to "prove" any scientific theory, and science recognizes this. This is what makes it different than religion: the fact that is it aware of its imperfections.
I completely agree with you in this respect, Yorke. What I'm saying, though, is that it's ridiculous for someone to claim that it is the one answer to life and that nobody should believe in a religion.
More or less, yeah, you've got the idea.
In my opinion, believing in The Big Bang requires just as much faith in the unexplained as it takes to believe in God.
In my opinion, believing in The Big Bang requires just as much faith in the unexplained as it takes to believe in God.
The theory of the big bang take into account the fact that our current knowledge of the laws of physics can only describe the universe until moments after the big bang. Yes, it does not eliminate the place of religion in the creation of the universe since we do not yet have a complete theory of the universe. However, the concept that the universe is expanding does not take faith to believe. As I'm sure you know, Hubble's observations combined with general relativity demonstrate the growth of space itself that can be traced back to some point about 14 billion years in the past. No, the big bang theory is not yet complete since our knowledge of physics has many holes. But it does not take faith to believe in this concept because the big bang theory recognizes that it is incomplete and does not pretend to be the be all, end all of the creation of the universe. The theory is scientific because it does not pretend to fill in gaps with faith, but rather leaves those gaps open for future research and endeavors. But I think we're in agreement on that seeing that you (contrary to my initial impression, and for that I apologize) are quite knowledgeable of physics.

These arguments are always hilarious because they never get anywhere. Since there are no definitive answer it's usually just one person trying to sound more intelligent than the other. Therefore alcohol is needed.

the truth is offensive. Jesus offended a lot of people. hence, him being crucified for yours and my sins.
A lot of things are offensive. Lies are offensive too. Hitler was offensive. Hitler didnt die for my sins though. And niether did Jesus. Jesus died because he posed a threat. He was gathering followers, and was becoming pretty popular. He was basically taken out of the picture because he was incringing on other peoples turf, and they didnt like it. Its that simple. It was a power struggle. He lost, but his cause won.
You obviously have no clue what you're talking about OP.jesus-gambling.jpg
lol, that's cool....

www.creationevidence.orgFor you "atheists" out there, I find that most of this breed that I meet our only still this way out of disinterest for finding the truth or basic "god" complexes. Lee Strobel's book is an excellent suggestion . The book will allow you continue to have disbelief if you choose, but don't make the mistake that so many have of arguing these matters with noth more than piss and vinegar, or whatever your Dad taught you. "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell, is another solid book that goes far deeper in both science and philosophy to explore the possibility of Christ.Have fun.

You know those TV shows which have videos of car crashes and explosions? There's always those bystanders around in the videos and they're all saying 'WTF is going on?' but they just look and don't help out. Then when the video is aired they're watching at home and they totally ignore the crash or explosion and focus on themselves. They're all like 'hey, that's me! look everyone, it's me!' and there's pain and destruction all over but they still just keep focusing on themselves.WTF is going on?

To say a certain type of religion is exagerrated or false makes total sense, especially with all the different religions that are out there. But to believe that there is no God is to beleive that humans are the highest being in the universe. As for science being proof of no God.... If there is a God dont you think he is capable of making science possible. There will never be the proof of religion everyone is looking for HENCE THE WORD FAITH - to believe in an unkown.

I think what it basically comes down to is that Science answers or attempts to answer - How?And Religion answers or attempts to answer - Why?So they can coexist I think.

neverfold, I have to hand it to you for getting a discussion out of the mess. It's so easy to pass on threads like this as not worth it.I also don't subscribe to any particular religion. Or rather, perhaps I subscribe to them all.

Look at mathematics. All mathmeticians would agree that there is no arguing that 2+2 is 4. But WHY? Because someone, a long time ago, made up a sound "two" and a symbol "2" and decided that it could be added onto a duplicate of itself to create the sound "four" and the symbol "4"? It is all random.
I think a better example might be what is written about the ancient Egyptians in museums. It is accepted fact that for the Egyptians, death played a major role in life. Why? Because they built big pyramids and mummified people. That hardly seems like compelling evidence, yet it's written on plaques at the Natural History Museum in Washington, DC. and in history books everywhere.
Science isn't a set of beliefs, and it is silly to compare it to something like religion. It is the logical progression of self consistent theories that are in accordince with the physical evidence of the universe that we are able to collect. No real scientist ever claims that any aspect of science is "truth" or final, because they all know that science only consists of gradually improving theories of the universe. It is impossible to "prove" any scientific theory, and science recognizes this. This is what makes it different than religion: the fact that is it aware of its imperfections.
Scientists explore beliefs. Either their own or others.Science is the exploration of 'God'. I put that in quotes because I don't believe in God as a person or entity. 'God' is the Mystery (ie, Life, the Universe and Everything). Matter cannot be created or destroyed. That's 'God'. Everything is made up of the same materials, stars, people, plastic, etc.. That's 'God'. Human genetics is more similar to a tree than it is different. Gravity. The theory describes the phenomenon, but why is the phenomenon?Religion is the metaphor/allegory for the Mystery. It's a way people seek out and try to explain the Mystery.
To say a certain type of religion is exagerrated or false makes total sense, especially with all the different religions that are out there.But to believe that there is no God is to beleive that humans are the highest being in the universe.As for science being proof of no God.... If there is a God dont you think he is capable of making science possible. There will never be the proof of religion everyone is looking for HENCE THE WORD FAITH - to believe in an unkown.
You are making a big leap to think that we are the highest being in the universe. There are arguments that we arent even the highest being on this planet. Just because you dont believe in a god, doesnt mean that we are the best that the universe has to offer.And your argument that a religion can be false because there are so many is ludicrous. It makes no sense.
wow. so daniel can't be spiritual because he plays poker? Interesting...
being spiritual and saying you are close to God by reading the bible are 2 completely different things. Many spiritual people are not religious at all...
Preface: I am neither religious, atheist, agnostic, or the follower of any other belief system.Neverfold, I appreciate your well thought out and considerate response. However, you must either have a belief system, be an atheist, or be an agnostic. As I understand the definitions of those words, you cannot be none of the above.I know that I'm nitpicking. But it's all I could think about when I was reading your post.Mike