nick schulman gets crushed at the taj

main point of the thread:Nick was playing way over his BR against a very very good player.  him dropping 300k in one session is a big deal to Nick...like someone stated, he dosent have the BR to be dropping that much in one session.lets just hope he dosent try it again
How do you have any idea of what his bankroll is? I have personally watched him win 10,000 to 15,000 regularly in a night in NYC clubs (trust me I know, I cashed him out). I watched him beat Phil Lakk out of at least $40,000 to $50,000 at Borgata this summer playing 50-100 NLH. He was beating the UB 50-100 NLH and the stars 100-200 LH games regularly. He won $170,000 in the Stars Sunday guarantee this summer. He was beating Noli and Darden in a $500-$1000 mixed game at Foxwoods. And that was all BEFORE he won the $2.1 million at Foxwoods, and folloed that up with another $80,000 at the Showboat WSOPC event.Sure if he lost 300K it hurt. But nobody knows anything really, he may have had backers or partnered with a friend. The kid is solid for sure. He is also a super nice guy and very intelligent and together for his age. Is Oppenheim a monster short handed LH player? Of course. Did Nick have anyway to find out how he stacked up at that level without sitting down? Nope. He has yet to run into a real obstacle in his poker career. He appears to have succeeded in every game he's played. So why shouldn't he take a shot at that level and see where he stands? If you are never willing to take that shot you have zero chance of getting there. Ask DN, ask Jen Harman, ask any top pro.
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm kinda lost here...OP tells a story about a game he railed and talks about what he thought about it and his insights...  I really didnt see any undertone in any of his posts like he was trying to get "back" at TheTakeover like u implied.. Its then confirmed that the game did happen which gives his post legitamacy (sp?)And u argue with the guy like u've watched these stakes and know first-hand about the swings and the players and so forth..  This  guy speaking of first-hand knowledge and u are speaking on what u've read on the INTERNET!!I've gotta be missing something...
I've been going down to AC since 1998 and have seen big games, so I'm not some pure internet guy. There was an implication of disliking Schulman in the OP as he flat out said that the Takeover was in over his head because he dropped 300K in a short period playing 3 handed. 3 handed play is insanely swingy, so to criticise someone purely off dropping like 35 BBs in a short time is rather silly, do you see how that works. I personally haven't played against the Takeover, but know people who have that played in NYC, and the guy isn't some one-hit wonder on the scene, and has played in the Underground games for a year or two now, and has become a bit of a NYC legend in that time. I originally pointed out the silliness of making a post decrying a player because of a small BB loss in a short amount of time in a short handed game. There is also no reason for the other two that were around to play HU at those limits to keep the game going. That fact is being lost too, and the OP is using it as a reason to say that the Takeover is now a big game whale
i never siad that, never implied it. u called me a troll, look it up. i dont think anything bad about that kid. i was talking about a high stakes match i watched. many of the fcp posters arent old enough to watch a live high stakes game and i thought the thread might be interesting. judging by the amount of views and replies, it was. i think that being a consistent flamethrower that overreacts all the time better constitutes a troll than does someone who started 1 thread that was admittedly a little gossippy. its interesting to note that u have backed off of ur original tone a lot. i sure appreciate it. u could learn alot from steve and teresa and now is the time to start.
I would put in my vote for David to win anyday against NW. While I have gained a great deal of respect for NW's game recently' date=' I think David has him outclassed.... at least in limit HE. If there was one regular at Commerce who I would want to sweat while playing (looking at their holecards) it would be David. With the exception of maybe Todd Brunson, Harmon, and Joe Cassidy, I don't think there is a better limit player out there right now. Just my 2 cents.[/quote']Great post, I was just reading and about to type this exact same post. Umm, like the exact same post.

1. no, $300k is not a lot to lose in a sitting at short handed $4k-$8k2. if the two other players both thought they were huge +EV 3 handed against Schulman, but only marginal HU against each other...of course they would end the game right after he leaves. That's simple stuff.But cool story. I do find it interesting to hear what's going on in the high limit world.

well considering in several blogs daniel has said hes been down $150,000 straight off the bat in the big game and that it isn't abnormal in the big game, Id probably be inclined to say 300k isnt that amazing at these  limits.if he can lose 300k Id say hes got a fair bit more behind him, unless he's an idiot.
Not only that but these guys were playing 4k/8k and in the Big Game Daniel is playing 2k/4k.
The big game in Vegas plays both 2K/4K and 4K/8K
He just won 2 million, and he had a ton of money b4 that, I think he can survive a 300k downswing.
Yea he can suffer a 300k downswing but we're talking about one session.He got probably around 1.3 - 1.4 mill after taxes and I doubt he had a huge roll before that. Obviously much bigger than most of us will ever have but not big enough compared w/ the 4k/8k game.300k is a huge hit for him in one session.
I won't go into details, but you're 100% wrong on all counts looshle.
He just won 2 million, and he had a ton of money b4 that, I think he can survive a 300k downswing.
Yea he can suffer a 300k downswing but we're talking about one session.He got probably around 1.3 - 1.4 mill after taxes and I doubt he had a huge roll before that. Obviously much bigger than most of us will ever have but not big enough compared w/ the 4k/8k game.300k is a huge hit for him in one session.
He's not right about the taxes?
He's not right about the taxes?
I think he means that he has a much bigger BR than Looshle realizes
Well if you arent going to go into details, then posting is pretty pointless then now isnt it?Yea he has a huge bankroll but I'm pretty sure 300k is still a big hit in one session for him. If youd like to explain why it's not and/or tell us the size of his roll, please do but don't just come in and say "you're wrong."Is it going to ruin his life? Not at all, but it's going to sting.I never said it was a huge deal, just said it was a big hit, which it is.

You are also assuming that he had 100% of his own action.Fact of the matter, nobody knows a damn thing...other than the fact that if he lost 300k at 4k/8k, its not that big of a deal, unless he didn't belong in the game in the first place. Im not gonna be the one to make that call. Only one person should.

Yes.I have no idea how i'd go about saying whether one player is better than the other if they're both clearly above my level of play.If i KNEW why one player was better than the other, then i'd be able to adjust my own game to reflect that knowledge.

Yes.I have no idea how i'd go about saying whether one player is better than the other if they're both clearly above my level of play.If i KNEW why one player was better than the other, then i'd be able to adjust my own game to reflect that knowledge.
You do know that David and I are good friends right?
I didnt.But if you are, that would probably be a good explanation of how you know what you do. :!: Could you elaborate as to why david feels that he's better than schulman? Or is it just a sort of general 'he makes worse decisions than i do on average' type thing.
I didnt.But if you are, that would probably be a good explanation of how you know what you do. :!: Could you elaborate as to why david feels that he's better than schulman? Or is it just a sort of general 'he makes worse decisions than i do on average' type thing.
I haven't talked to David about the game. And frankly, I'm sure he didn't think it was any different than any other short handed game that he played. But I really don't want to speak on his behalf.I will tell you that I have personally learned a lot from David. And have found him to be one of the most gifted cash game players I have witnessed. If you read some of my earliest posts, I talk about a few things that I've learned from David.

Okay, I did some reading on this over at 2p2. Shane Schlager(Shaniac) knows Nick personally and said that the third player in the game was a big whale. He also noted that Nick has been playing high limit games for a while now, and barely had any of his own action. Those who were actually there in the high limit section, also said that the game had a lot of security and that it didn't break up after Nick left, and actually turned into a 5K-10K game