Mike is waiting to get some money on his FTP account, and while he is waiting he is railing Ivey. So the railbirds are asking the usual 900 questions and someone asks about Prahlad Friedman. Mike says "oh him, yea he is broke." So someone obviously asks if he is serious, and Mike says "yes I am 100% sure that he is broke." No big deal really most poker players go broke at least once. He was a million dollar winner supposedly, and it sucks to hear he lost 7 figures.

Mike is waiting to get some money on his FTP account, and while he is waiting he is railing Ivey. So the railbirds are asking the usual 900 questions and someone asks about Prahlad Friedman. Mike says "oh him, yea he is broke." So someone obviously asks if he is serious, and Mike says "yes I am 100% sure that he is broke." No big deal really most poker players go broke at least once. He was a million dollar winner supposedly, and it sucks to hear he lost 7 figures.
There is no possible way he was joking about that. No way.
Yeah, Mike is probably lying, or exaggerating. Mikey still claims to be broke, so broke might be having only 2 million dollars.
I doubt he got much % of his final table winnings
Yeah, Mike is probably lying, or exaggerating. Mikey still claims to be broke, so broke might be having only 2 million dollars.
True, but it's not like Matusow is living in a cardboard box behind the Bellagio. He has a really nice house from what I hear yet he constantly claims to be broke.

I just don't think mike was lying. I have not seen Pharlad online, and haven't seen his name for any of the 10k events so far this year. He is so aggressive that I could see him going broke, I could also see him building up his roll again. Mike is nothing if not honest, if you can filter through all the hyperbole. Just didn't seem like he was kidding one ounce.Martin Piecuch (Observer): mike u play prahlad at all lately??Mike Matusow (Observer): hes brokeDealer: Phil Ivey wins the pot ($200)Martin Piecuch (Observer): no way is he really?The Primitarian (Observer): how is he borke?The Primitarian (Observer): hes a millinoaire from onlineThe Primitarian (Observer): how he go broke?Mike Matusow (Observer): yea well hes broke nowThe Primitarian (Observer): So how do you know?Mike Matusow (Observer): Everyone knowsMartin Piecuch (Observer): How did he do that?Mike Matusow (Observer): He steams worse than anyone aliveThe above chat was edited, i just took out the 200 railbirds comments in between the above conversation

I dont understand how Prahlad could go broke. He couldve just changed his screenname again, but didnt tell anyone this time. Is that a possibility?
I am sure it is possible. He steams and plays a style that is conducive to large fluctuations in his bankroll. You don't understand how he could be broke? Why? Because he was a million dollar winner? Well he lost 300k in one night on UB. Just about everyone has went broke playing poker, its like a badge of honor. I would say you will hear more about online pros going broke, it just happens. Phil Ivey would go broke then take a telemarketing job for a while to get some cash. This was some time ago obviously, but still relevant.
I dont understand how Prahlad could go broke. He couldve just changed his screenname again, but didnt tell anyone this time. Is that a possibility?
I am sure it is possible. He steams and plays a style that is conducive to large fluctuations in his bankroll. You don't understand how he could be broke? Why? Because he was a million dollar winner? Well he lost 300k in one night on UB. Just about everyone has went broke playing poker, its like a badge of honor. I would say you will hear more about online pros going broke, it just happens. Phil Ivey would go broke then take a telemarketing job for a while to get some cash. This was some time ago obviously, but still relevant.
Yeah, I hear what you're saying, it's just hard to believe. I saw him lose almost 400k in HU 200/400 NL to Patrick Antonius one time, and he was down as much as 600k in the match. I guess I thought he had more money than he did. I still dont accept the fact that he's broke 100%, but I'd say it's 50/50.
True, but it's not like Matusow is living in a cardboard box behind the Bellagio. He has a really nice house from what I hear yet he constantly claims to be broke.
I tend to believe that Mike is close to broke. He does own a house, but I wouldnt be suprised if that is his only major asset. He's also said that he has borrowed against his house a number of times. I love Mikey, but he is too much of a gambler to hold on to any money for an extended period of time.
I tend to believe that Mike is close to broke. He does own a house, but I wouldnt be suprised if that is his only major asset. He's also said that he has borrowed against his house a number of times. I love Mikey, but he is too much of a gambler to hold on to any money for an extended period of time.
I know, you just have to feel bad for the guy. He's destined to go from flat broke to millionaire and back to broke again as much as Stuey did. I don't know how he can handle it. Especially as emotional as he gets.

Well when you are use to putting everything on the line you get use to being broke. I think Mike has money but thats just the money he lives day to day on. The other 1.9 million in his bank doesnt really exist because at any given moment he will put it on the line.. So if you accept the fact that its not or may not always be there I think you can play freely. Kind of like Ivey said if you think of it as car payments etc. you will never win..

Well when you are use to putting everything on the line you get use to being broke. I think Mike has money but thats just the money he lives day to day on. The other 1.9 million in his bank doesnt really exist because at any given moment he will put it on the line.. So if you accept the fact that its not or may not always be there I think you can play freely. Kind of like Ivey said if you think of it as car payments etc. you will never win..
Mike is an adrenaline junkie, I think the point is that you never get used to losing it, but you cant resist risking it. I mean, the guy lost 200k betting sports IN PRISON. I dont even know how you can do that.
Mike is an adrenaline junkie, I think the point is that you never get used to losing it, but you cant resist risking it. I mean, the guy lost 200k betting sports IN PRISON. I dont even know how you can do that.
My point exactly.. He knows his problem and instead of fixing it he accepts it. At least thats how it appears.

Mike very well could be broke as well. He made it pretty clear after the TOC that he was broke even after all the money he had just made. Mike is so emotional that I can't see him ever living up to his potential. The money doesn't mean near as much as the accolades to Mike, and in poker it should be the other way around. Other than Phil Hellmuth, most players want the money and you can give the glory to someone else. Mike wants the glory not the money. In listening to him and Barry on "the circut", you could just hear/feel even the lessons Barry was trying to give him. Barry was making it clear that it is counter-productive to underestimate everyone you play against. Mike thinks everyone is a donkey. Barry was trying to tell him that instead of just saying everyone "plays bad", you need to figure out "how" they play bad and adjust accordingly. It just wasn't sinking in. Then they talk about online play, and Mike is a HUGE loser online. Mike's strongest assest is being able to read weakness on a player, and he loses that edge online. So why keep doing something that continues to give you poor results? That is the classic definition of addiction, doing something over and over that has negative results. Barry goes on to tell mike how great he is at Omaha 8/o. Barry might as well have said "Mike find the biggest 8/0 game live, and make a killing."

Mike's strongest assest is being able to read weakness on a player, and he loses that edge online. So why keep doing something that continues to give you poor results? That is the classic definition of addiction, doing something over and over that has negative results. I believe that is the classic definition of insanity. Pretty sure everyone knew Mike was insane anyway.

I hate the rumor mongering, but I watched him lose a ton to Ivey when they were playing heads-up matches on full tilt. He rebought for at minimum 100k several times and never re-couped in the sessions I watched. If he also lost a ton to Antonius...seems reasonable he could be broke.

Yeah' date=' Mike is probably lying' date=' or exaggerating. Mikey still claims to be broke, so broke might be having only 2 million dollars.[/quote'']I doubt he got much % of his final table winnings
I know, you just have to feel bad for the guy. He's destined to go from flat broke to millionaire and back to broke again as much as Stuey did. I don't I don't feel sorry for the man. He has made many bad decisions in his life but when his life comes to an end I bet he will have lived a life that was way better than my life. Instead of grinding out a living he has made life a non-stop preflop all-in race. Though I am would pass one the whole jail-coke thing I think living his life would be an adventure everyday and a lot better than mine