tournament dollars

Qualified for this sunday's pokerstars 500k event. This would be the biggest buy in tournament Ive ever played to date. While the inner voice is telling me to take a shot, Im thinking the better percentage play would be to parlay the tournament dollars into 1 or 2k playing sngs and also enter some more $20-$100 mtts. Im leaning towards saying screw it and just going for it and taking a shot. Tough call though. What would you do?

Take the +EV route. Which do you feel is a more profitable for you? I know you could take down a large chunk of cash in the big tourney, but I'd say odds lean toward you making more by breaking it down. Just my 2 cents. If you do go for it, I hope you do make a killing.

I would break it up into smaller tournies, it would be fun to play in the big one but unless you've cashed in a lot of 100.00+ buy in's it would be a long shot for you to win a good amount. But its your money, I know some would go for all or nothing, good luck.

How much did you pay to win it?I would take a shot. It's like winning a WSOP satt. Are you going to sell your seat for $10K or try and win the whole thing?Go for it, if you were good enough to win the seat, you are good enough to win the tourney.

No question to it -- Play the big tourney.
Hah, I dunno about no question. If you don't have a large roll, do you go for a one shot deal and try to score huge, or do you play in a large number of $10-$50 or even $100 events? Sure the big one shot deal seems to have more glory, but if you miss you're back to your tiny roll and scrounging.There's certainly a question, though I can see people wanting to do the big tourney. /shrug

This may be a dumb question, but when you qualify for a larger buy in tourney it sounds like you are saying that they deposit the buyin for it in your account. And then you have a choice of whether or not you want to play in it. Is that how it works? Is that the same for freerolls too?

If you can play patient, solid, tight-aggressive poker, you could do well in the Sunday tounament. I've only played a couple of them when I won a satellite, but it is good poker and most of the players seem to know what they are doing (i.e. no "stupid" plays you see in $5 MTT). I cashed in one of the 3 I played in, finishing 172nd out of 2073 for $330 on a $30 satellite entry. On the other hand had, if I had broke the entry up into different SNG's, I'm sure I could have made more than $330, but I had to go for the $80K win, so I took the chance. Good luck with whatever way you decide to go.

The sunday tourney for 500K usually has about 800 people or so: I Won my seat last month and didnt quite cash, 125th, solid play and no real stupid plays. KK ran into AK and lost, Ill be bitter but live.Heres what I did and suggest to you as I am probably in the same or even slightly higher BR than you (ok but not great)Take your $530 in tourney cashPlay in the 1130p $58R satellite into the 500K again.Avgs 1 seat per 5 people usually after rebuysPlay solid and dont rebuyIf you make it play, if not you still have $450 in tourney cash to build you bank roll.

Thats a great idea. I think Ill probably do that. If I win again, Ill play. I want to take a shot at it, but it does represent about a third of my br, so its probably not smart. And for the person who asked, if you win entry into a tournament, stars lets you unregister for it in exchange for tournament dollars in equivalent of the buy in, which can be used for any SNGs or other tourneys.

play in it man. i was in the same situation as you when i won a 200 fpp buy in to the 2000 fpp qualifier to the scandinavian open. i was tempted to just bank the 2000 fpp and keep playing the 200 fpp things so that i could win lots of fpps. 1 minute before the tourney started i finally came to my senses and joined. i ended up winning and turning it into the best trip of my life. go big or go home.

Using FPP's are a bit different that tourney dollars, what else can you really get with FPP's? A few books maybe. I just think he probably can play in SNG's or smaller MMT's and have a better chance of increasing his bankroll than taking a stab at one tourney. The blind structure after the 2nd hour at PS looks terrible, personally I'd play in $30-50 SNG's. But the $58 satellite is a great idea too.

If you play in the tournament and don't cash you can still work on building your bankroll at the same point you were before. If you don't play you will forever wonder if you would have won!

been there done that...i took that entry and made it to final 1000 after sleeping in for the first hour of the tourney. Just gotta pick your spots like any other tournament.For the most part, the players are extremely good...at least to me, b/c i relatively play 5/10 limit 6 handed, or 10-20 tournies.however, the other end of the stick is that there are tons of fish in this tourney...people who won seats just like you, or people with a big bankroll trying to take their shot....especially the 500 $ tourney opposed to the 215 tourney.either decision u make is a good one...if ur a better shorthanded player stick to HU or sng's.....if u would want to play in somehting u may never p lay in again....go for it.i did...made final 1000...my nut flush on the turn got crack by a guy with trips hittin his boat on the river as the board paired. if not i was in good shape.i say go for it. good luck mang.