marijuana compared to fast food --go back to hs

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

teacher' date=' teacher, teacher... oh hateful teacher... based on your comments, how do you feel about alcohol being legal? Surely it's proven that more deaths related to alcohol happen on the roads as compared to marijuana?The law is all screwed up and doesn't make much sense at all. If you are going to legalize alcohol then there is NO good reason why marijuana shouldn't be legal. Cigarette smoking is legal and that has way more harmful chemicals in it than marijuana.One last point: if you truly believe that obesity doesn't affect anyone but the person that is obese you are missing out on the bigger pictures. With such an obesity problem in this country it is a monster strain on the economy. Medical insurance rates would plummet if less people suffered from the myriad of health problems associated with obesity.[/quote']Ok, why are more deaths related to alcohol than marijuana? hmmm....well, maybe because marijuana is illegal and fewer people use that drug. If you make marijuana legal, I'm sure you'll see a sharp increase in the number of marijuana related motor vehicle deaths. Cigarette smoke doesnt alter your state of mind, in any measurable amount. Marijuana does. Alcohol is a different story, I do feel that alcohol, in general, has no purpose. Making it illegal, would be no problem for me, because I dont drink. Basically it sounds like your argument for legalizing marijuana is that other bad things are legal, and so should marijuana. By that logic, you're only a few steps away from cocaine and heroin being sold in every neighborhood drug store. Logically, that would be the next step taken by radical leftists, right? If you give an inch, they'll try to take a mile. There are many factors that contribute to medical insurance rates being so high, and picking out one problem to support your own point is a pretty weak argument. I seriously doubt that obesity is the #1 reason for medical insurance rates being so high, but if you can prove me wrong, I'm willing to listen.
Ahh, someone making cogent points! It's refreshing, the teacher is an idiot. Anyways, NBC news recently ran a special on how obesity just overtook smoking as the #1 preventable health concern in the united states. I assume their sources are good, and I assume that in being the #1 prev. health concern they are using money as a measuring tool.... not very strong counterargument, but i have not really researched it at all. Prohibition is a disaster. we already tried that it lead to a sharp increase in crime (violent too). Drug dealing has also lead to a sharp increase in crime. Legalizing it would increase tax revenues, lower crime (fewer drug dealers ect.) and make marijuana regulated (making it safer and making more jobs for people in the U.S. Now, your argument that this would lead to other drugs being legalized is your most thought provoking pt imo. There is, however, a HUGE difference in weed and c0ke and heroine. Some people argue that if people are stupid enough to use these hard drugs then so be it. legalize, tax the heck out of em and let the country reap the benefits. These other drugs, however, are mainly physically addicting, causing people to do crazy things to get their fix (killing somone and taking his wallet). This means that these drugs would put society at large risk, i do not think marijuana would... so that is where you draw the line.
My point is that we drew a line before, and the line was just behind alcohol and just ahead of marijuana. Some people will always not like the line where it is, but you have to take a stand somewhere. I understand that there's a difference between the illegal drugs that I've mentioned, but they ARE all currently illegal, and making marijuana legal only pushes the line closer to making cocaine legal. I know that you're probably not going to want to hear the "Gateway drug argument" so I'm not going to get into it, but I do believe that it does have some valid points. I also believe that the "Gateway" argument falls apart if marijuana is legal. Look at that, I made and rejected my own argument in two sentences.I understand each and every one of your points and respect them as well, but I think taking a soft stance on any drug-related matter will spell trouble in the future. I especially like the taxing idea, but they're smuggling marijuana in now, and they'll continue to do it even if it is taxed. They can avoid taxation by continuing to smuggle.
teacher, teacher, teacher... oh hateful teacher... based on your comments, how do you feel about alcohol being legal? Surely it's proven that more deaths related to alcohol happen on the roads as compared to marijuana? The law is all screwed up and doesn't make much sense at all. If you are going to legalize alcohol then there is NO good reason why marijuana shouldn't be legal. Cigarette smoking is legal and that has way more harmful chemicals in it than marijuana. One last point: if you truly believe that obesity doesn't affect anyone but the person that is obese you are missing out on the bigger pictures. With such an obesity problem in this country it is a monster strain on the economy. Medical insurance rates would plummet if less people suffered from the myriad of health problems associated with obesity.
OH Daniel Daniel Daniel!!!! The whole picture well how about the 10 year olds who will very easily be able to get marijuana. cigarettes does not do what marijuana does to the brain. God you are some hypocrite!! You eat all this healthy censored but you you can drink and smoke marijuana and that is ok. Man your analogies are that of a 1st grader. You have nos ense of the overall picture. Marijuana affects the mind cigarettes destroy the human body. I hate cigarettes too. But at least they do not affect the way the mind works. Go eat some Tofu and have a 6 pack and bong hit. Now there is the hypocrite I know.
Teacher, Teacher, Teacher.......Please do your homework. Cigarettes most certainly have an effect on the nervous system.NicotineFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.Jump to: navigation, searchNicotine is also a file-sharing application for the Soulseek peer-to-peer network.Nicotine Chemical name (S)-3-(1-methylpyrrolidin-2-yl)pyridine Chemical formula C10H14N2 Molecular mass 162.23 g/mol Density 1.01 g/ml Melting point -79 °C Boiling point 247 °C CAS number 54-11-5 SMILES CN(CCC1)[C@@]1([H])C2=CC=CN=C2 Except where noted otherwise, data are given formaterials in their standard state (at 25 °C, 100 kPa)Infobox disclaimer and references Nicotine is an organic compound, an alkaloid found naturally in the nightshade family of plants, such as tobacco and tomatoes. It constitutes 0.3 to 5% of the tobacco plant by dry weight, with biosynthesis taking place in the roots, and accumulates in the leaves. It is a potent nerve poison and is included in many insecticides. In lower concentrations, the substance is a stimulant and is one of the main factors leading to the pleasure and habit-forming qualities of tobacco smoking. Nicotine has limited carcinogenic effects, inhibiting the body's ability to destroy potentially cancerous cells; however, nicotine does not promote the development of cancer in healthy cells. In addition to the tobacco plant, nicotine is also found in lower quantities in other members of the Solanaceae (nightshade) family, which includes tomato, potato, eggplant (aubergine), and green pepper. Nicotine alkaloids are also found in the leaves of the coca plant.Contents [hide]1 Chemistry 2 Effects on the body 3 Therapeutic uses 4 History and name 5 See also 6 External links [edit]ChemistryNicotine is a hygroscopic oily liquid that is miscible with water in its base form. As a nitrogenous base, nicotine forms salts with acids that are usually solid and water soluble. Nicotine easily penetrates the skin and forms vapors at elevated temperature.[edit]Effects on the bodyIn small doses nicotine has a stimulating effect, increasing activity, alertness and memory. Repeat users report a pleasant relaxing effect. It also increases the heart rate and blood pressure and reduces the appetite. In large doses it may cause vomiting and nausea. The LD50 of nicotine (that is, the lethal dosage reported to kill 50% of the population) is 50 mg/kg for rats and 3 mg/kg for mice. 40–60 mg can be a lethal dosage for adult human beings.Repeat users of nicotine very often develop a physical dependency to the chemical. A report released on May 16, 1988 by United States Surgeon General C. Everett Koop stated that the addictive properties of nicotine are similar to those of heroin and cocaine; although many people do not agree with such a comparison. Physical withdrawal symptoms include irritability, headaches, anxiety, cognitive disturbances and sleep disruption. These symptoms peak at around 48–72 hours, and generally cease after two to six weeks.Although the amount of nicotine inhaled with tobacco smoke is quite small (most of the substance is destroyed by the heat) it is still sufficient to cause dependence. The amount of nicotine absorbed by the body from smoking depends on many factors, including the type of tobacco, whether the smoke is inhaled, and whether a filter is used. For chewing tobacco,often called Dip, Snuff or snus which is held in the mouth between the lip and gum, the amount released into the body tends to be much greater than smoked tobacco.As nicotine enters the body, it quickly gets distributed through the bloodstream and can cross the blood-brain barrier. On average it takes about seven seconds for the substance to reach the brain. It acts on the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. In small concentrations it increases the activity of these receptors, among other things leading to an increased flow of adrenaline, a stimulating hormone. The release of adrenaline causes an increase in heart rate, blood pressure and respiration, as well as higher glucose levels in the blood. Cotinine is a break-down product of nicotine which remains in the blood for up to 48 hours, and so can be used as an indicator of a person's exposure to smoke. In high doses, nicotine will cause a depolarizing block of the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, which is the reason for its toxicity and its effectiveness as an insecticide.In addition, nicotine increases dopamine levels in the reward circuits of the brain. Studies have shown that smoking tobacco inhibits monoamine oxidase (MAO), an enzyme responsible for breaking down monoaminergic neurotransmitters such as dopamine, in the brain. It is currently believed that nicotine by itself does not inhibit the production of monoamine oxidase (MAO), but that other ingredients in inhaled tobacco smoke are believed to be responsible for this activity. In this way, it generates feelings of pleasure. This reaction is similar to that caused by cocaine and heroin, and is another reason people keep smoking: to sustain high dopamine levels.It has been noted that the majority of people diagnosed with schizophrenia smoke tobacco. Estimates for the number of schizophrenics that smoke range from 75% to 90%. It was recently argued that the increased level of smoking in schizophrenia may be due to a desire to self-medicate with nicotine. [1] [2] More recent research has found the reverse, that it is a risk factor without long-term benefit, used only for its short term effects. [3]Nicotine and its metabolites are being researched for the treatment of a number of disorders, including ADHD, Parkinson's Disease and Alzheimer's Disease.The carcinogenic properties of nicotine in standalone form, i.e. separate from tobacco smoke, have not been evaluated by the IARC, and it has not been assigned to an official carcinogen group. The currently available data indicates that nicotine on its own does not promote the development of cancer in healthy tissue, and has no mutagenic properties. Its teratogenic properties have not yet been adequately researched, and while the likelihood of birth defects caused by nicotine is believed to be very small or nonexistent, nicotine replacement product manufacturers recommend consultation with a physician before using a nicotine patch or nicotine gum while pregnant or nursing. However, nicotine and the increased acetylcholinic activity it causes have been shown to impede apoptosis, which is one of the means used by the body to destroy unwanted cells (programmed cell death). Since apoptosis helps remove mutated or damaged cells that may evolve into cancerous tissue, its inhibition by nicotine creates more favourable conditions for cancer to develop once the initial mutations have occurred. Thus, in combination with the numerous potent carcinogens in tobacco smoke, nicotine plays a role in carcinogenesis and may be considered to be a carcinogen on those grounds. It is also important to note that its addictive properties are often the primary motivating factor for tobacco smoking, contributing to the proliferation of cancer.[edit]History and nameNicotine is named after the tobacco plant Nicotiana tabacum which in turn is named after Jean Nicot, who sent tobacco seeds from Portugal to Paris in 1550 and promoted its medicinal use. It was first isolated in 1828 by German chemists Posselt & Reimann; its molecular formula (3-(1-methyl-2-pyrrolidinyl)pyridine) was established in 1843 by Adolf Pinner and it was first synthesized in 1904.[edit]See alsoPsychoactive drug Addiction

Wow some of you are grossly uninformed and way off point. First of all...marijuana being illegal in no way shape or form keeps it out of kids hands. In fact as a fifteen year old i could get marijuana anytime i wanted. Just give me fifteen minutes. But if we wanted beer, we'd have to plan it. Marijuana, when consumed in moderation is no more harmful than OCCASIONAL fast food. For the record, I don't smoke marijuana anymore, i'm going on four years clean of the stuff. I also don't eat fast food. But in all my years of knowing and hanging out with "stoners" i have never once heard of stoned driving being the cause of a car accident...there's two little anecdotes I like to share whenever a comparison of marijuana and alcohol come up. One's a joke, the other isn't...1) What's the difference between a drunk driver and a stoned one? The drunk driver sees the stop sign and drives through it. The stoned driver sees it, stops and waits for it to turn green2) When i was a kid, sometimes my dad would come home late at night drunk and he'd beat my little sister's ass. Other nights he'd come home stoned and he'd just sit on the couch laughing at cartoons. I know which one i prefer. Anyway, there is a lot of misinformation out there about everything from marijuana to fast food, to sugar substitutes. I don't like to call people ignorant or stupid when they think marijuana is so evil, because i don't think it's your fault. I just think you've been misinformed. Another reason is that there's very little scientific information about the actual effects of marijuana use, because since the 1930's it's been illegal to even study them! For one, the first anti-marijuana laws in the nation were passed in the southwest as a reason to deport mexican immigrants. They were selectively enforced as well. Just...don't believe everything you hear about what's good for you. don't forget that there are perfectly legal, OTC drugs that have been scientifically proven to DOUBLE your chance of having a fatal heart attack (aleve) and there are popular food additives that have been proven to increase your risk of cancer (nitrites used to cure meat,and aspartame..aka Nutrasweet) And the herb Stevia, which is 300 times sweeter than sugar, and therefore much cheaper to produce is illegal to sell as a sweeteneer despite the fact that the only side effects found in 30 years of research was the ability to regenerate the liver. Yet herb companies are forced to sell it as a "dietary supplement" and are barred by law from even mentioning it's sweetening properties. Why? Because the money thrown around by large pharmaceutical companies that produce Aleve and Aspartame has far reaches into the government.my point in mentioning this "off topic" information is that just because something is legal or illegal has no effect on whether something is actually good to use. Do some research, and find out for yourself. I realize I'm coming across as an idiot, but that's how the "Marijuana Kills Kids, So let's go to Mickey D's and Drink Diet Soda" crowd comes across to alot of people too. Oh well, let's talk about poker now.Anyway, i'm gonna go back to my 90% raw, 100% organic dinner, and drink some Stevia "supplemented" herbal tea (also 100% organic)...

Over the last 6 months, this is the all time most ignorant post I have have ever seen on this forum. I don't think DN would ever suggest that marijuana is healthy, nor do I think "teacher" would suggest that fast food is healthy. Why doesn't everyone admit that over the long run, both are bad choices. That would save us all alot of time.

of course cigarettes affect the brain...whats the buzz that people smoke them to feel? Anybody who thinks alcohol doesnt affect the brain is well..stupid...Probably the biggest reason why cigarettes and alcohol arent illegal is b/c in our great society if u spend enough money u can basically get whatever u want. I dont think ull find anybody here willin to deny that alcohol is much more dangerous then marijuana. Also cigarettes are pretty darn addicting too. ask anyone who has ever tried to quit something like that. Whats ironic is that of the 3 marijuana has shown the most help for the largest amount of people (all those cancer patients) yet it is the one thats illegal. Just something to think about
I'm going to claim that marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol. Marijuana is like a combination of alcohol and cigarettes, so it should be legal? So it is safer than both of them? I really don't understand your reasoning.Marijuana has only showed some help for cancer patients as a painkiller, and there are many other painkillers that aren't illegal. Marijuana is NOT a cure for cancer, please.
A few things, Marijuana is not a combination of alcohol and cigarettes it is in fact the exact opposite...it slows everything down instead of speading it up. You dont black out as alcohol tends to make u do. Somebody above said that marijuana helps you to focus in at near paranoia states and that can be true at times. As for it being compared to cigarettes. Cigarettes are much worse than marijuana. Those ads you see from i believe Thetruth.com? are real. the makers of cigarettes seem to just pick up a bunch of crap off the side of the road on the way to work and throw them into the machine that makes cigarettes. as for your point about the cancer patients. Had a nice talk with a cancer survivor a few years back about the whole marijuana situation when it comes to cancer. She asked a very simple question: "when yoru sick dont u expect the very best possible medicine out there?"Will you be the one who tells the cancer patient that he/she has to take a pill that leaves them hugging the toilet for an hr b/c the best possible medicine is illegal b/c government officials havent been paid enough to legalize it? The reality is that marijuana is way ahead of the other options for cancer patients who deal with pain and rapid weight loss and they are being told to suffer even more...What a great place we live in
I believe that TheTruth.com has their own agenda and their ads arent completely honest. I believe that the core of the ads are true, but they're citing meetings and documents from before cigarettes became so strictly regulated.Do I want the best medicine? Yes, if it's 100% safe, if it's been approved by the FDA (I realize that the FDA has many problems as well, but they're all we have right now) as a painkiller, then fine. I can't except that marijuana is the only option as a painkiller, though. I think that we should be more enraged that the FDA has a tendency to drag their feet with drugs that could actually cure diseases. I'll tell you what, I'm going to do some research on both ends and become more educated on the subject. I dont feel like I can accurately argue so many points that are flying at me right now. Where are you getting your information? A major problem with formulating arguments on this subject is that there are many non-objective sites spewing out information when scientific results are actually inconclusive. I'm not saying that this occurs on just the "Legalize it" side, but both.Your question, "Will you be the one who tells the cancer patient that he/she has to take a pill that leaves them hugging the toilet for an hr b/c the best possible medicine is illegal b/c government officials havent been paid enough to legalize it?" really is unfair. I mean, stating an emotional item like this does not help your argument.

Lets get to the root of the problem here, and that's driving. Be it drunk or drinking, high or smoking, on the cell phone, eating a whopper, gossipping with your passenger, watching your fold-out DVD screen... all of these lead to greater risk of injury to others than these things alone.If you wanna drink, don't get behind a wheel. If you wanna get high, same thing. If you need to talk on the phone, do it while the car is parked. Stop eating while driving. Ban fold-out DVD/playstation screens.Now, when it comes to getting into your car and going somewhere? Here's what you do. Get in car. Drive. Get out of car. Don't let anything else distract you.This is all meant as a warning, because I've developed a habit of wishing a horrible and imminent death on every single person I see change lanes without signalling, ride in the left lane below the speed limit, change lanes in an intersection, that cuts me off, that doesn't merge with everyone else because he's gonna try to sneak in further up ahead, that doesn't create space for someone else to merge... all of you people, every single one with a cell phone jammed in your ear, one day, WILL feel the wrath of someone wishing a flaming wreck on you.It's all about context. Alcohol in a safe environment - good. Marijuana in a safe environment with lots of cheetos - good. Cell phones, sitting in a private, non-moving object - good. Mix any with driving, and I'm going to kill you.

I follow the words of the prophet on this one:

Here is my final point. About drugs, about alcohol, about pornography and smoking and everything else. What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I ****, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?
of course cigarettes affect the brain...whats the buzz that people smoke them to feel? Anybody who thinks alcohol doesnt affect the brain is well..stupid...Probably the biggest reason why cigarettes and alcohol arent illegal is b/c in our great society if u spend enough money u can basically get whatever u want. I dont think ull find anybody here willin to deny that alcohol is much more dangerous then marijuana. Also cigarettes are pretty darn addicting too. ask anyone who has ever tried to quit something like that. Whats ironic is that of the 3 marijuana has shown the most help for the largest amount of people (all those cancer patients) yet it is the one thats illegal. Just something to think about
I'm going to claim that marijuana is more dangerous than alcohol. Marijuana is like a combination of alcohol and cigarettes, so it should be legal? So it is safer than both of them? I really don't understand your reasoning.Marijuana has only showed some help for cancer patients as a painkiller, and there are many other painkillers that aren't illegal. Marijuana is NOT a cure for cancer, please.
A few things, Marijuana is not a combination of alcohol and cigarettes it is in fact the exact opposite...it slows everything down instead of speading it up. You dont black out as alcohol tends to make u do. Somebody above said that marijuana helps you to focus in at near paranoia states and that can be true at times. As for it being compared to cigarettes. Cigarettes are much worse than marijuana. Those ads you see from i believe Thetruth.com? are real. the makers of cigarettes seem to just pick up a bunch of crap off the side of the road on the way to work and throw them into the machine that makes cigarettes. as for your point about the cancer patients. Had a nice talk with a cancer survivor a few years back about the whole marijuana situation when it comes to cancer. She asked a very simple question: "when yoru sick dont u expect the very best possible medicine out there?"Will you be the one who tells the cancer patient that he/she has to take a pill that leaves them hugging the toilet for an hr b/c the best possible medicine is illegal b/c government officials havent been paid enough to legalize it? The reality is that marijuana is way ahead of the other options for cancer patients who deal with pain and rapid weight loss and they are being told to suffer even more...What a great place we live in
I believe that TheTruth.com has their own agenda and their ads arent completely honest. I believe that the core of the ads are true, but they're citing meetings and documents from before cigarettes became so strictly regulated.Do I want the best medicine? Yes, if it's 100% safe, if it's been approved by the FDA (I realize that the FDA has many problems as well, but they're all we have right now) as a painkiller, then fine. I can't except that marijuana is the only option as a painkiller, though. I think that we should be more enraged that the FDA has a tendency to drag their feet with drugs that could actually cure diseases. I'll tell you what, I'm going to do some research on both ends and become more educated on the subject. I dont feel like I can accurately argue so many points that are flying at me right now. Where are you getting your information? A major problem with formulating arguments on this subject is that there are many non-objective sites spewing out information when scientific results are actually inconclusive. I'm not saying that this occurs on just the "Legalize it" side, but both.Your question, "Will you be the one who tells the cancer patient that he/she has to take a pill that leaves them hugging the toilet for an hr b/c the best possible medicine is illegal b/c government officials havent been paid enough to legalize it?" really is unfair. I mean, stating an emotional item like this does not help your argument.
What would an anti cigarette agenda be exactly? Talk about bizarro world paranoia. WTF?People keep mentioning throughout this thread that marijuana is a painkiller. That's news to me. I was under the impression that marijuana was used in conjuction with other medications to ease nausea and other side effects the cancer and aids medications caused.
GED or no GED the man is a F****g genius.
Second funniest thing i heard all day. This has me in tears. What makes him a genius? His diet and his poker 2004. Besides that one year in poker and his diet of veggies and alcohol and weed. He has proven himself to be a complete buffoonPerhaps, but you've done that without having a great year in 2004 :roll:
What would an anti cigarette agenda be exactly? Talk about bizarro world paranoia. WTF?People keep mentioning throughout this thread that marijuana is a painkiller. That's news to me. I was under the impression that marijuana was used in conjuction with other medications to ease nausea and other side effects the cancer and aids medications caused.
There are a lot of people who donate to TheTruth.com, and somebody could make money off of that. Call, me a cynic, but I dont trust anybody even if their cause is seemingly noble. I'm not stating any facts, just personal beliefs.

Wow, I can't believe how long it took during the beginning stages of this thread for people to realize that Daniel doesn't even smoke marijuana. Secondly he said "It made me wonder why it's legal for people to destroy their bodies with unhealthy foods, yet smoking marijuana is illegal? What do you think is worse for you, marijuana smoke or living on a fast food diet? It's not even close." Now, he never said "Hey! I think marijuana should be legal because it's so awesome and I smoke it all the time!" He was only saying that a lot of stuff that is legal should be illegal, and that some things that are illegal are not nearly as bad as some of the legal things. Anyways, maybe a lot of these points are obvious, but by some of the idiotic posts that followed, it would appear not. And I know this was mentioned, but why did people suddenly start talking about driving stoned? What do stoned people do? Someone said something about a candle and the Matrix. Sounds pretty familiar. All my friends and I ever did when we were baked was play video games and veg out. We sure as hell never went cruising around. Besides, I was always too paranoid to drive. And anytime I did, I was so careful, I probably drew more suspicion towards me then I prevented. Lastly, I don't necessarily think marijuana should be legalized, but at least decriminalizing it (and possible legalization) could sure be detrimental to organized crime and drug distribution. And aside from chronic pot heads, I don't know anyone who really misuses weed. However, I know a lot of binge drinkers who instinctively start fights, sleep with ugly women, vandalize stuff, and act like complete idiots while drunk. The stoners are pretty chill. And there are a lot more problems in our society relating to drugs such as the increased use of meth (esp among young people), and the increasing availability of other hard drugs such as crack/cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, etc. Marijuana is not even an issue.

These replies are too long-winded for the average person and all my fans. As a person who has used cigarettes, alcohol, and marijuana and studied them extensively firsthand, I can only completely agree that alcohol is about one hundred times more dangerous than marijuana when high. Porblem is, marijuana and the influences it brings can lead to heavier drugs. But still, I agree if this government was smart and wanted to make some spare tax money, they would legalize marijuana if drinking was to remain legalized(USA). And cigarettes are definitely the most harmful of these products long-term and cost mucho money to the health care industry. MPP its not all that harmful people.And about the obesity thing, it could be that, genetically people from Texas are a bit more heavier in the body. Cuz they eat bloomin' onions all the time, lol.

Wow, I can't believe how long it took during the beginning stages of this thread for people to realize that Daniel doesn't even smoke marijuana.  Secondly he said "It made me wonder why it's legal for people to destroy their bodies with unhealthy foods, yet smoking marijuana is illegal? What do you think is worse for you, marijuana smoke or living on a fast food diet? It's not even close."  Now, he never said "Hey!  I think marijuana should be legal because it's so awesome and I smoke it all the time!"  He was only saying that a lot of stuff that is legal should be illegal, and that some things that are illegal are not nearly as bad as some of the legal things.  Anyways, maybe a lot of these points are obvious, but by some of the idiotic posts that followed, it would appear not.  And I know this was mentioned, but why did people suddenly start talking about driving stoned?  What do stoned people do?  Someone said something about a candle and the Matrix.  Sounds pretty familiar.  All my friends and I ever did when we were baked was play video games and veg out.  We sure as hell never went cruising around.  Besides, I was always too paranoid to drive.  And anytime I did, I was so careful, I probably drew more suspicion towards me then I prevented.  Lastly, I don't necessarily think marijuana should be legalized, but at least decriminalizing it (and possible legalization) could sure be detrimental to organized crime and drug distribution.  And aside from chronic pot heads, I don't know anyone who really misuses weed.  However, I know a lot of binge drinkers who instinctively start fights, sleep with ugly women, vandalize stuff, and act like complete idiots while drunk.  The stoners are pretty chill.  And there are a lot more problems in our society relating to drugs such as the increased use of meth (esp among young people), and the increasing availability of other hard drugs such as crack/cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, etc.  Marijuana is not even an issue.
Most of the people already knew that he didnt smoke marijuana because he mentioned it in a previous blog. Newbies were the only ones who didnt realize the fact that he doesnt light up.

What was the name of that writer with aids that the government jailed for growing weed?The guy that couldn't take his chemo drugs without smoking marijuana to alleviate the nausea and ended up dying in a jail cell of cancer.. That was real nice of the government.My mom died of cancer at 53 and weed worked far better than the anti-nausea medications she was prescribed.. It also gave her somewhat of an appetite... That was evidence enough for me to think that these 3-strike laws and anti-marijuana legislation was a bunch of bullshit.-adam

Wow.  Even if Teacher really just is a troll...I've never seen someone get so completely owned.  What a tool.
Yeah, and he probably wont ever feel the pleasures of watch a funny movie stoned :oops: . Then again, I kinda loathe STUPID social conservatives. the key word there is stupid. if he was intelligent then i wouldnt care as much. He seriously thinks this country is better off without any liberal party... must be his moronic father pumping ideas into his infintile head. and for those of you wondering, yes i am writing this to get my post #s up. took a long time for me to become a regular and i want that title back! And for the social conservatives, remember if you are not stupid then i not only don't loathe you, but i like hearing your views.Kid DynOmite

Just so you all know...many extremely educated scholars believe that if the Marijuana lobby (politically) had been as strong and as well financed as the Cigarrette lobby and Alcohol lobby around 50 years ago it would be pot legal and not the others. I agree with Daniel anyway, but that is just a little fact I thought you might find interesting.

I have one question for you teacher. To what extent are you educated and how old are you? You take jabs at daniel for his GED, how about you post everything about yourself so we can try to find some small part of your life that we can tear at and try to make you look bad. You make me sad that you can't make an argument or disagree with daniel without making personal attacks. Make your point/counterpoint and leave the character attacks out of it. You apparently get something out of this site and all that these kind of posts do is make daniel reticent allowing the personal glimpse into his life that he does. He doesn't have to do all this for us on this website. As a sidenote, I wish I and most of FCP could handle ourselves half as well as Daniel does when someone attacks his character and we would have a much better forum. If this sounds like me being a daniel lackey I guess I am guilty as charged. Even though I don't agree with all of his opinions I have a large amount of respect for him. There is a reason that some of the more um... flamable members of this forum treat his opinions with respect even when they disagree with him. He does the same to others. Please, teacher, if you have valid points, present them accordingly, otherwise you're just going to come across as a troll. Is that all you are? Same to anyone who resorts to character assasinations in this forum.On the issue of legalization of marijuana I have never smoked weed, nicotine, or drank in my life but the only reason I would ever question the legalization of marijuana is the I am unsure how accesible this would make it to children not fit to make those decisions yet. Have any studies been done on this subject? How bout we continue this thread without all the name calling? This is a very valid issue and I've learned a lot from both sides.I would like to add this definition to the discussion since we already have the nicotine definition.I also got it at wikipedia, here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CannabisCannabisThe cannabis plant can be dried or otherwise processed to yield products containing large concentrations of compounds that have psychoactive and medicinal effects when consumed, usually by smoking or eating. Cannabis has been used for medical and psychoactive effects for thousands of years. Throughout the 20th century there was a massive upswing in the use of cannabis as a psychoactive substance, mostly for recreational purposes but to some extent for religious purposes. The possession, use, or sale of psychoactive cannabis products became illegal in many parts of the world during the early 20th century, and remains that way today.Immediate effects of human consumptionThe nature and intensity of the immediate effects of cannabis consumption vary according to the dose, the species or hybridization of the source plant, the method of consumption, the user's mental and physical characteristics (such as possible tolerance), and the environment of consumption. Effects of cannabis consumption may be loosely classified as cognitive and physical. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the Cannabis sativa species tends to produce more of the cognitive or perceptual effects, while Cannabis indica tends to produce more of the physical effects.[edit]Cognitive, behavioral, or perceptualCannabis has a broad spectrum of possible cognitive, behavioral, or perceptual effects, the occurrence of which vary from user to user. Some of these are the intended effect desired by users, some may be considered desirable depending on the situation, and others are generally considered undesirable. Users of cannabis report that these kinds of effects are more often produced by the sativa species of cannabis.[edit]Physical or sensoryCannabis also has effects that are predominantly physical or sensory. It is widely believed that the indica species of Cannabis is more likely to produce effects like these.[edit]List of effectsAnti-emetic properties Modulation of working and short-term memory Impairment of short-term memory Enhancement of many other drugs (including alcohol, ecstasy, tobacco, heroin, cocaine, LSD, psilocybin and many others) Auditory or visual hallucinations at high doses in some users Exaggerated ambidexterity Paramnesia, repetitiveness and ambiguation Increased appetite (sometimes referred to as "the munchies"), an effect of stimulation of the endocannabinoid system, which affects body weight, insulin resistance, and dyslipidemia. Increased sexual pleasure Increased awareness of sensation Increased awareness of patterns and colors Increased mental activity, like metacognition Induced sense of novelty Initial wakefulness followed by drowsiness and lassitude ('burnt out') Introspective or meditative states of mind Gain or loss of some inhibitions Mild euphoria, feelings of general well-being Relaxation or stress reduction Tachycardia (Increased heart rate) Dry mouth (sometimes referred to as cottonmouth, pasties, or the drys (NZ)) Keratoconjunctivitis sicca (sometimes referred to as blood-shot eyes, dry eyes or red eye(UK)) [edit]List of therapeutic effectsPain relief (especially headaches, cramps, and eye pain due to lowered intraocular pressure). Increased appetite, food subjectively tastes better. Reduced nausea, (especially from chemotherapy), though may cause or exacerbate nausea for some. Dilation of alveoli (air sacs) in lungs, resulting in deeper respiration. Increase in productive coughs Dilation of blood vessels (vasodilation), resulting in: Increased blood flow and heart rate Reddening of the conjunctivae (red eye) Lower intra-ocular pressure (beneficial to glaucoma patients). Lower blood pressure while standing. Higher blood pressure while sitting (note that this can lead to instances of orthostatic hypotension). Induces drowsiness (beneficial to sufferers of insomnia and sleep deprivation). Relaxation Reduced stress Mild entheogenesis (e.g. per Rastafarian users, more "Jah-Vibrations") [edit]Active ingredients, metabolism, and method of activityOf the approximately 400 different chemicals found in Cannabis, the main active ingredient is tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, THC). THC can degrade to CBL & CBN (other cannabinoids), which can make one feel sleepy and disoriented. Different marijuana products have different ratios of these and other cannabinoids. Depending on the ratio, the quality of the "high" will vary.THC has an effect on the modulation of the immune system which may have an effect on malignant cells, but there is insufficient scientific study to determine whether this might promote or limit cancer. Cannabinoid receptors are also present in the human reproductive system, but there is insufficient scientific study to conclusively determine the effects of cannabis on reproduction. Mild allergies to cannabis may be possible in some members of the population.A study has shown that holding cannabis smoke in one's lungs for longer periods did not conclusively increase THC's effects[3].[edit]Lethal doseIt is generally considered to be impossible to achieve a lethal overdose by smoking cannabis. According to the Merck Index, 12th edition, the LD50, the lethal dose for 50% of tested rats, is 42 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. That is equivalent of a 75 kg (≈165 lb) man ingesting all of the THC in 21 one-gram cigarettes of maximum-potency (15% THC) cannabis buds, assuming no THC was lost through burning or exhalation. For oral consumption, the LD50 for rats is 1270 mg/kg and 730 mg/kg for males and females, respectively, equivalent to the THC in about a pound of 15% THC cannabis. Only with intravenous administration — an unheard of method of use — may such a level be even theoretically possible.There has only ever been one recorded verdict of fatal overdose due to cannabis, however this finding was found on multiple professional reviews to be "not legitimate".In January 2004, Lee Maisey of Pembrokeshire, Wales was found dead. The coroner's report stated "Death due to probable cannabis toxicity". It had been reported that Maisey smoked about six joints a day. Mr. Maisey's blood contained 130 nanograms per milliliter (ng/ml) of the THC metabolite THC-COOH.The validity of the finding did not stand up well under review. As reported on 2004-01-28 in the Neue Züricher Zeitung, the Federal Health Ministry of Switzerland asked Dr. Rudolf Brenneisen, a professor at the department for clinical research at the University of Bern, to review the data of this case. Dr. Brenneisen said that the data of the toxicological analysis and collected by autopsy were "scanty and not conclusive" and that the conclusion "death by cannabis intoxication" was "not legitimate". Additionally, Dr. Franjo Grotenhermen of the nova-Institute in Cologne, Germany said: "A concentration of 130 ng/ml THC-COOH in blood is a moderate concentration, which may be observed some hours after the use of one or two joints. Heavy regular use of cannabis easily results in THC-COOH concentrations of above 500 ng/ml. Many people use much more cannabis than Mr. Maisey did, without any negative consequences."[edit]Long-term effects of human consumptionMain article: Health issues and the effects of cannabisThere is little conclusive scientific evidence about the long-term effects of human cannabis consumption. The findings of earlier studies purporting to demonstrate the effects of the drug are unreliable and generally regarded as junk science, as the studies were flawed, with strong bias and poor methodology. The most significant confounding factor is the use of other drugs, including alcohol and tobacco, by test subjects in conjunction with cannabis. When subjects using only cannabis were combined in the same sample with subjects using other drugs as well, researchers could not reach a conclusion as to whether their findings were caused by cannabis, other drugs or the interaction between them.[edit]Tolerance, withdrawal and dreamsAlthough use may become habitual, the extent of physical dependence to cannabis is unknown (DEA, 2004). Many animal and human studies conducted since the 1970s have revealed cannabis withdrawal symptoms in some people after abstinence from heavy use which is usually characterized by a period of anxiousness, sleeplessness, more vivid and memorable dreams, (REM rebound), irritability, and diminished appetite after cessation of use. Because cannabis is a psychedelic drug, unlike typical depressant or stimulant drugs, these persistent effects are typically not as severe as those normally associated with physical dependence.THC molecules break down quickly after ingestion, although some components can be detected for a period of up to a month after use, and up to 6 weeks or more in heavy users. Although these components are not proven to have any ongoing physical or mental effects in themselves— THC undergoes exponential decay, working its way out of the body slowly over many days, thus reducing the potential to cause withdrawal symptoms. [4][edit]Long-term effects on the mind and brainThere is a growing body of medical evidence which may show correlations between cannabis use and psychosis, schizophrenia, or clinical depression. Some believe that cannabis may trigger latent conditions or be part of a complex coordination of causes, referred to as the diathesis-stress model in psychology. On the other hand, many people with pronounced psychological disorders, including schizophrenia, depression, bi-polar and obsessive-compulsive disorder, often self-medicate their illness with cannabis in place of potent main-stream drugs like antipsychotics, due to cannabis's relatively low side effects and calming physiological effects that alleviate symptoms.One concern with research alleging a link between cannabis use and psychotic illness has been that, while a correlation may be drawn, it is not possible to establish causality. Recent research has attempted to address this concern by studying large groups free of mental illness, to examine the proportion of individuals that already use cannabis who go on to develop mental illnesses[5].Further evidence for causality was provided by a 2005 study[6] showing the existence of a genetic predisposition to cannabis related symptoms of psychosis, by showing correlation between presence of the COMT gene, adolescent cannabis use and symptoms of psychotic illness. The study demonstrates that early adolescent cannabis use is a greater predictor for symptoms of adult psychosis among carriers of the gene. The study attempted to control for prior mental illness and other alternative explanations, thereby establishing causality. However, the small sample size, symptom screening prior to likely age of symptom onset, and the cohort nature of the study, all call the result into question. This theory is still hotly disputed [7], and further research is ongoing.Some claim that extended use of cannabis may help the user reach a higher level of mental consciousness and clarity, expanding the mind and helping individuals become more aware, insightful and intelligent. These claims seem contradictory to the common view of the long-term effects of marijuana use, but this contradiction may simply be indicative of differing interpretations of a common effect.[edit]Long-term physical effects of smokingThe combustion of any organic material creates irritants and carcinogens, and cannabis is no different. The long-term effects of smoking any substance depends on frequency of use, duration of inhalation, and composition of the smoke. This leads many to assume that the effects of cannabis can be directly compared to other well-known smoking materials such as tobacco. However, direct, volume-for-volume comparisons of the two are probably invalid because the chemical composition and methods of usage are not the same. Studies on the subject are inconclusive and have not isolated all the possible factors exacerbating or ameliorating the effects of cannabis user. Here are some of these factors:[edit]Possibly exacerbating factors:Studies have pointed out that cannabis produces more tar and burns at a higher temperature than tobacco. Many cannabis smokers inhale the smoke more deeply and hold it in their lungs for a longer period of time. [edit]Possibly mitigating factorsGenerally, even a chronic cannabis user does not inhale a daily volume of smoke equal to a significant portion of that of a tobacco smoker. Cannabis smoke does not tend to penetrate to the smaller, peripheral passageways of the lungs, concentrating rather on the larger, central passageways. Industrialized cultivation and preparation of tobacco introduces a variety of toxic and carcinogenic additives and congeners such as nitrosamines, arsenic, radium-226, and polonium-210. This problem does not pertain to cannabis, the vast majority of which is grown in wild, organic, or hydroponic conditions. There is evidence to suggest that cannabinoids present in cannabis may actually serve to protect against cancer. [8] Some studies have claimed a positive correlation between cannabis use and lung cancer, however, it is possible that this may be due to correlation between cannabis and tobacco use. More study would be needed to separate tobacco use and other factors in order to better understand the potential long-term physiological effects of cannabis use itself. Some recent reports suggest that when the data is properly analyzed, the correlation may in fact be negative.[9][edit]Medicinal useMain article: Medical marijuanaMedically, cannabis is most often used as an appetite stimulant and pain reliever for certain terminal illnesses such as cancer and AIDS. It is also used to relieve glaucoma and certain neurological illnesses such as epilepsy, migraine and bipolar disorder. The medical use of cannabis is politically controversial, but it is sometimes recommended informally by physicians. A synthetic version of the major active chemical in cannabis, THC, is readily available in the form of a pill as the prescription drug Marinol. THC has also been found to reduce arterial blockages.[10] A sublingual spray derived from an extract of cannabis has also been approved for treatment of multiple sclerosis in Canada as the prescription drug Sativex - this drug may now be legally imported into the UK on prescription. Eleven states in the US allow marijuana consumption for medical purposes; however, Gonzales v. Raich ruled marijuana illegal for any purpose.See section History for information on historic and other medical use.

I am a casual marijuana smoker and I live inVancouver, British Columbia. This city has been voted by pretty much every authority that matters as one of the Top 3 Best Places to Live in the World. It also happens to be known to have a very liberal attitude on marijuana usage. A part of a multicultural metropolis with many top-rated universities and colleges it is a home to educated people from many cultures and often the host of major science and industry conferences. Apparently our world reknown liberal policies on marijuana has not prevented us from being respectable or properous.I have had the pleasure of meeting people from all walks of life and from all over the world who enjoy marijuana. As both a student and someone who is active politically and socially as both watcher and participant I have encounter people who smoke marijuana, some habitually and some casually, without affecting their lives or their professional or political careers. I have also known people who abuse marijuana and allow it to negatively affect their lives. I don't believe they are bad people, in fact I don't believe they are any different then the group of people I know that happen to abuse other illegal or legal drugs, alcohol, food, gambling (yes even poker) to the degree and frequency that would qualify as being an addiction or abusive.Some of these people are not idiots and can infact be quite intelligent and successful in other areas of their lives but something is internally defective (research is steadly pointing towards genetic but I believe it can also be a psychological effect) which drives them to abuse something. That is my personal observation of the matter.People often blame the medium, the drug or activity itself, but I think the opposite, I think it is the person itself that is to blame. That is why I wanted to change the pace of this discussion from comparing the physical affects of one thing versus another because root of the problem may be the person abusing it and not necessarily the things themselves. Just wanted to stop and drop some thoughts,Blankstare :wink:

Just wanted to say that the whole idea about marijuana usage leads to experimentation with harder drugs is a false statement.courtesy of Dictionary.com

Main Entry: false statementFunction: noun: a statement that is known or believed by its maker to be incorrect or untrue and is made esp. with intent to deceive or mislead <submitted a false statement to obtain the loan>; also : the federal crime of concealing a material fact, making a false statement, or using documents known to be falsified —see also EXCULPATORY NO DOCTRINE —compare PERJURY
Point me towards the research that says delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) biologically causes the user to try drugs like cocaine or heroin. Blankstare :club: