marijuana compared to fast food --go back to hs

teacher, teacher, teacher... oh hateful teacher... based on your comments, how do you feel about alcohol being legal? Surely it's proven that more deaths related to alcohol happen on the roads as compared to marijuana? The law is all screwed up and doesn't make much sense at all. If you are going to legalize alcohol then there is NO good reason why marijuana shouldn't be legal. Cigarette smoking is legal and that has way more harmful chemicals in it than marijuana. One last point: if you truly believe that obesity doesn't affect anyone but the person that is obese you are missing out on the bigger pictures. With such an obesity problem in this country it is a monster strain on the economy. Medical insurance rates would plummet if less people suffered from the myriad of health problems associated with obesity.
Save your breath Daniel. I agree with you and that's all the matters.
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the name of that writer with aids that the government jailed for growing weed?The guy that couldn't take his chemo drugs without smoking marijuana to alleviate the nausea and ended up dying in a jail cell of cancer.. That was real nice of the government.My mom died of cancer at 53 and weed worked far better than the anti-nausea medications she was prescribed.. It also gave her somewhat of an appetite... That was evidence enough for me to think that these 3-strike laws and anti-marijuana legislation was a bunch of censored.-adam
sorry to hear that, but how can you argue with that? you are going to take away the last comfort of a dying woman.... real nice

I think the biggest issue and the invalidity of most of these debates is the amount of consumption and what you consume.Fast Food: What make fast food bad are not the individual items but eating them altogether. When you combine protein with fat and then a simple carb, you are going to gain weight. Are there smart choices at fast food restaurants? Yes, but unfortunately, they don't put a number with them. Smart choice at Wendy's is a bowl of chili (protein, veggies and complex carbs with the beans) and a side salad (minus croutons or bacon). What fast food chains fail to do is to create a number meal for their healthy choices. You have to order ala carte. The better choices are usually buried with all of the garbage. But let's discuss the garbage side of the menu. Is an order of French fries that bad for you? Not really, as long as you eat some protein with it. Problem is, most of the protein at Fast Food joints is in between a bun. The bun is made of bleached flour. It is a simple carb. When you eat it, your body thinks you are feeding it sugar and your body will start to store fat. Fast Food restaurants push simple carbs. They push them because you feel full and it is cheap. Problem is, a short time later, you are hungry again because you consumed so many empty calories. That is what is causing weight gain in America.Alcohol Over consumption of alcohol leads to several health issues, from liver failure, weakened immune system, blood issues and a dangerous lifestyle. However, in moderation, alcohol can be quite healthy. A glass of red wine is good for your heart. There are several studies on red wine and alcohol in general that shows in moderation, alcohol has benefits. Problem is, Americans tend to drink beer and lots of it. Beer is fattening because guess what... lots of simple carbs. Mix beer and fast food and we are back to the weight issue again.So drink in moderation. Red wine is the preferred choice. Clear alcohols mixed with a non sugar mixer and then beer is at the bottom of the list. What is worse, we drink lite beer and then drink triple or quadruple the amount. Not cool. Tobacco I really miss smoking but it is SO bad for you and those around you. Cigarette manufacturers are not even required to list all of the ingredients in a pack of cigarettes. There are so many added chemicals and junk in it. It is so addicting. However, some people who smoke pipes do not find tobacco so addicting. Some high end tobaccos have no additives. I still would not recommend but again it comes down to moderation and how we consume items. Marijuana My generation called it Pot, but I guess it doesn't matter what you call it. Excessive use to pot can lead to a lack of motivation. I know potheads who are the nicest and most pleasant people to be around but they are not really motivated to do anything outstanding in life. Again, we are at the issue of over consumption.However, marijuana in limited quantities can reduce stress. For some people, it helps them to focus. Most of all, it has medicinal qualities. It constricts the blood vessels which is great for Glaucoma. It also aids in appetite which is so important for people with cancer, HIV, AIDS and other illnesses. Anyway... my point is that not everything is BAD or GOOD. It all depends on how you use it and how much of it and how you combine it. Moderation is the key.

I just think it's ludicrous that alcohol is considered illegal, but not one thing you, or anyone in office, has said is a valid reason pro one and not the other.
Ok, I'll take this one. The reason alcohol is legal is because we tried to make it illegal once. As many people that die from alcohol every year, MORE people died when it was illegal. I'd have to go dig it up, but there was a study that showed the number of alcohol related deaths, number of alcoholics, etc before, during, and after prohibition. ALL of the numbers spiked during prohibition and returned to normal afterwards. It also played a big part in the rise of organized crime in this country. Having alcohol illegal simply became too dangerous, so it was made legal again.Marijuana was made illegal purely out of racism. It's sad, but true. It was originally racism against Mexican immigrants, and later also included blacks. It was thought that smoking marijuana made Mexican's crazy and uncrontrollable and that it made blacks chase after white women. So it was made illegal. Gotta love our country's history, don't ya? LOL!To sum up for the class, alcohol is legal because making it illegal is too dangerous. Marijuana is illegal, at this point, because of inertia. It's been illegal for a while and the lawmakers don't want to change it.
I mentioned racism on the first and 2nd page. But no one seemed to notice, or care to respond.I'm glad at least one other person knows this.The whole debate over one being worse than the other is silly at it's heart (although I still say alcohol = -EV). Both are drugs. Both alter your mind, etc. Alcohol will always be legal and marijuana will probably never be legal. Just how it is going to be. Do research on why marijuana was made illegal.- Jordan

just wanted to point out a pretty key fact that doesn't seem to have been mentioned, cigarettes are addictive and people almost always have a hard time quitting. marijuana isn't addictive. the only reason people ever have a hard time quitting marijuana is because they're used to the lifestyle and hang around the same people who smoke weed, and of course having it around just adds to the temptation. but when you quit smoking cigarettes, even if it's not nearby you still get cravings, you gain weight, etc etc.

marijuana isn't addictive. the only reason people ever have a hard time quitting marijuana is because they're used to the lifestyle and hang around the same people who smoke weed,.
*********************************Pot, to me, was anti-addictive!! I smoked for about 7-8 years and just quit one day when I was getting to unsocial...the guys would come over and get high and I'd immediately want them to leave, lock the doors, take the phone off the hook and watch TV. (I was also convinced that EVERYONE on TV was high!!)I've tried it a handfull of times since, I quit 15 yrs ago, and every time reminds me why I quit to begin with...paranoia!![/b]
Daniel eating fast food might kill you dong drugs can end up inflicting pain onto others. driving uner the influence of marijuana can kill others. eating a big mac and fries will not. Horrible post and point. Damn liberals.unral that people will actually read this and follow this man who does not even have a GED. Comparing a Big Mac to Marijuana. LEgalize it and make it even easier for the children to get drugs then they can drop out of school like you. Our youth thanks you for your stupid analogy.
blame everything on liberals. What control do liberals have over america right now? i believe all three branches of government are currently pwned by idiot conservatives such as yourself. since you are a stupid dumbass, ill assume you will now take the "BUT THEY CONTROL THE MEEEDIA!" route. in this case, i would like to let you know that A) there is no liberal bias in the media, and B) You are incredibly stupid and I will never respond to another one of your posts due to the fact that I freaking hate you. enjoy life, and stop blaming things on people who have nothing to do with them. Some liberals are just as against drug use as stupid-ass people such as yourself.
Daniel eating fast food might kill you dong drugs can end up inflicting pain onto others. driving uner the influence of marijuana can kill others. eating a big mac and fries will not. Horrible post and point. Damn liberals.unral that people will actually read this and follow this man who does not even have a GED. Comparing a Big Mac to Marijuana. LEgalize it and make it even easier for the children to get drugs then they can drop out of school like you. Our youth thanks you for your stupid analogy.
blame everything on liberals. What control do liberals have over america right now? i believe all three branches of government are currently pwned by idiot conservatives such as yourself. since you are a stupid dumbass, ill assume you will now take the "BUT THEY CONTROL THE MEEEDIA!" route. in this case, i would like to let you know that A) there is no liberal bias in the media, and B) You are incredibly stupid and I will never respond to another one of your posts due to the fact that I freaking hate you. enjoy life, and stop blaming things on people who have nothing to do with them. Some liberals are just as against drug use as stupid-ass people such as yourself.
Include drinking alcohol as 'drug use'. It's a drug. Weed isn't this horrible substance. It's a drug yea. But so is alcohol. Alcohol is just legal.Society has trained "us" to accept alcohol use. But in moderation. However, we accept it. It's tradition, it's accepted because we were taught it was "ok" once you are 21. It could very well be the same way with weed being that "ok" substance and alcohol being the "bad" drug that you shouldn't consume.I don't and wouldn't ever draw conclusiions as all drugs are the same, they aren't. But I still have got to say, alcohol and weed...blah. If you "use" one, you shouldn't condone the other. Mainly because your ownly frame of reference in it's use is going to be from what you have been taught your entire life.I don't smoke weed because it's illegal and I personally feel like I'm better off not breaking the law for something that in the long run really isn't going to have an influence on my life. And that's to say a good or bad influence.I guess I really just can't stand people that are like "don't do drugs" but then get hammered fri/sat night. Not saying that's you. But it's a lot of people, and it's so freaking hypocritical it makes the other hypocrisy's people's seem so pointless.The thing I hate about weed or alcohol is when it controls you, changes you, and basically takes you away from values you used to hang onto. I let it do that to me, and I see it in some of my friends. The same thing can and does happen with alcohol, but for some reason that's just getting 'drunk'. Doesn't matter. Of course you have alcoholics, but you also have a lot of people who just get drunk once or twice a week, and a lot of people who smoke weed maybe once or twice a week just the same.It's really hard to judge people other than yourself cause you really only know yourself. And even saying that, you can misjudge yourself. So in that sense I try my best to never judge anyone else. I have my own personal belief's and stand to them, but I try my best not to draw conclusions of those that I do not know well. And to be honest, I don't even know all of my close friends well enough to truly understand why they abuse certain things or do certain things...but sometimes I find the same issues in my own life and I don't know why exactly..I'm rambling. Just don't forget. If you drink, you alter your mind. Drug.- Jordan

I happen to smoke marijuana. I happen to love it as a matter of fact. I don't judge anyone else on what they do and I make sure that I don't bother anyone while I smoke or if I'm high. I also make SURE that there are no kids around in either situation. I also happen to enjoy fast food from time to time. Wendy's spicey chicken sandwich=dynamite! (especially after a bowl) Just like anything that requires moderation marijuana can be abused by certain irresponsible people and it is these people that ruin for pople like myselfI have a full time job and for the person who said that marijuana fries your brain I really haven't noticed anything yet. I'm still as motivated if not more then I was whe I was in high school and didn't smoke. In fact the nights I smoke marijuana and have to wake up early in the morning for work, I am usually more chipper and ready to work. So do everyone a favor and don't make judgements on something you have no idea about. "If you dont like my fire then dont come around. Cause I'm gonna burn one down." -Ben Harperp.s. driving after drinking, smoking, or while eating fats food are all terrible ideas. Show your dada this one.

1st of all, I'm quite sure that OP has never once inhaled, therefore making his point about DRIVING after inhaling (not even in DN's blog) even more of a mute point than it already is considering his ignorance regarding the subject matter..... thats my opinion; below are the facts: (btw, its expected as of 2005 that obesity will overtake tobacco) Causes of preventable deathWhen it comes to causes of preventable death, obesity commands the No. 2 slot - but in contrast to an earlier study, which had it poised to overtake tobacco related deaths as the leading cause, a new study shows that it ran a distant second in 2000. Tobacco 435,000 Poor diet, physical inactivity, obesity 400,000 Alcohol consumption 85,000 Influenza, pneumonia 75,000 Toxic agents 55,000 Motor vehicles 43,000 Firearms 29,000 Sexual behavior 20,000 Illicit drug use 17,000 (mind you, this is ALL illicit drugs)... in fact, I'll wager that no one can show me hard evidence of any person ever dying from a marijuana overdose. Source: CDC The Chronicle

Here is the article I believe that you were referring to:http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/200...anaIllegal.htmlI thought myself it was interesting. I believe that like any vice one has, you should use it with responsibility and moderation. Anything can cause a death.Smoking is bad ( I do smoke) because not only are you affecting yourself healthwise, but also anyone else who is inhaling secondhand smoke. (I try to smoke with other smokers, or by myself. Alcohol is bad ( I do drink) because it impairs judgement, lowers inhibitions (We all remember those foolish one night stands- and then really realize what we have done the next morning, only to rush out of there)and also runs the risk of endangering others by driving drunk, and making foolish decisions a.k.a. showing up drunk at your ex's place, and drunk dialing. Smoking pot is bad ( I have smoked before) because it gives you the munchies and I wish I wouldn't have wanted all those Dbl quarter pounders and large fries. :club: I rest my case :wink:

"LEgalize it and make it even easier for the children to get drugs then they can drop out of school like you."That is the statement I want to comment on. It is actually a proven FACT that it is much easier for underage kids to purchase marijuana, than it is to purchase Ciggarettes or Alchohol. Do you think a drug dealer cares how old his buyer is? How about you go back to High School and learn your facts before you post something ignorant. At least you could do some research on the subject before writing about something you THINK you know about but in fact know anything about. Also, about marijuana killing others...show me 1, yes just 1, documented case of marijuana being directly related to another persons death (ie. from a car accident, violence, etc...). I bet you can't find 1 documented case.The only point DN was making was that ciggs, alchohol, bad food, etc... should not be legal and marijuanna not. They all harm your body. It is called prohibition for all the 6th graders reading this post and to the OP, and it is wrong. The government has just not figured out a way to control it yet, or it would be legal. My cousin is a deputy sheriff and he confirms this.
1st of all, I'm quite sure that OP has never once inhaled, therefore making his point about DRIVING after inhaling (not even in DN's blog) even more of a mute point than it already is considering his ignorance regarding the subject matter..... thats my opinion; below are the facts: (btw, its expected as of 2005 that obesity will overtake tobacco) Causes of preventable deathWhen it comes to causes of preventable death, obesity commands the No. 2 slot - but in contrast to an earlier study, which had it poised to overtake tobacco related deaths as the leading cause, a new study shows that it ran a distant second in 2000. Tobacco 435,000 Poor diet, physical inactivity, obesity 400,000 Alcohol consumption 85,000 Influenza, pneumonia 75,000 Toxic agents 55,000 Motor vehicles 43,000 Firearms 29,000 Sexual behavior 20,000 Illicit drug use 17,000 (mind you, this is ALL illicit drugs)... in fact, I'll wager that no one can show me hard evidence of any person ever dying from a marijuana overdose. Source: CDC The Chronicle
Very good post, now see there OP...this is a guy (or girl?) who has done some research on the subject. Unlike you who just likes to jump into a subject you know nothing about, and pretend you do know something about it. I think we are all still waiting for that ONE documented case of a marijuana overdose, or a stoned guy driving irratically and killing someone. :club: Oh and for your information OP....stoned people generally drive really slow, so it is kind of hard to see someone killing someone driving 10+ under the speed limit, but if you can find it, let us know, I am waiting....

If you think marijuana should be illegal, then you do not know anything true about the plant. You cant really compare it to fast food, its like apples and oranges. Marijuana has WAY MORE positive aspects about it then negative outcomes. It has a lot of medical use and not to mention what you can make with the plant. It is truely a beautiful plant, once you realize it. For the person talkin about the governement could make money off of it if it were legal, wrong. It is acutally the opposite. The governement would lose tons of money. It is a plant and anybody can grow it. It could replace so many prescription drugs and over the counter drugs, and you could grow it yourself. Not to mention you can also use it for fuel, clothing, etc.It would make things so much cheaper. My views on this subject come from personal experience and reseach, if the only thing you were ever heard was from the government, take my advice, do your own research and think for yourself. I also dont support booze or cigs, I feel they do nothing but harm, I also dont support teens doing drugs as there minds are still growing. But, I do support marijuana use for responsible adults, If people have the right to harm there body by cigs, booze, and fast food. Why cant they enjoy marijuana? I know the answer to this question, I could write a book about it but every one has to realize it. The majority rules. And the majority has yet to stop the governments control. You have to realize the government is a business now, its all about the money.

Also, about marijuana killing others...show me 1, yes just 1, documented case of marijuana being directly related to another persons death (ie. from a car accident, violence, etc...). I bet you can't find 1 documented case.
Well, I'm sure, there have been lethal car accidents because of cannabis use. Driving stoned is not a good idea, but common sense should tell you that anyway, it's neither an argument for nor against legalisation.
For the person talkin about the governement could make money off of it if it were legal, wrong. It is acutally the opposite. The governement would lose tons of money. It is a plant and anybody can grow it. It could replace so many prescription drugs and over the counter drugs, and you could grow it yourself. Not to mention you can also use it for fuel, clothing, etc.It would make things so much cheaper.
******************************I'm gonna have to totally disagree with ya on this one...IF it was ever legalized it would be just like cigarettes and alcohol, totally taken over by the government...I'd bet they would make it illegal to grow and sell it unless you were a "licensed" government "dealer"!! Trust me, they would make CASH!!! As far as the prescription, over the counter, stuff goes...what, may I ask, is marijuana going to replace??? (another thing that the government would NOT let happen!!)
Also, about marijuana killing others...show me 1, yes just 1, documented case of marijuana being directly related to another persons death (ie. from a car accident, violence, etc...). I bet you can't find 1 documented case.
Well, I'm sure, there have been lethal car accidents because of cannabis use. Driving stoned is not a good idea, but common sense should tell you that anyway, it's neither an argument for nor against legalisation.
You are right, it is not an argument for or against legalisation, I was just commenting on his statement about it being dangerous to others. If you are going to comment on something, you better have the facts to prove it. I don't know that anyone can find 1 documented case of an accident that killed someone that was directly related to the driver being stoned. I am not saying it is not possible, or has not happened, but it is not documented. More people kill or hurt others in car accidents from being tired than being stoned."For the person talkin about the governement could make money off of it if it were legal, wrong. It is acutally the opposite. The governement would lose tons of money. It is a plant and anybody can grow it. It could replace so many prescription drugs and over the counter drugs, and you could grow it yourself. Not to mention you can also use it for fuel, clothing, etc. It would make things so much cheaper. "I would like to disagree with this statement also. The government would make tons of money on this. Did you know that Marlboro already has a stock of marijuana, already packaged and ready to sell. Marijuana will be legal sometime soon. Yes people could grow it themselves, people can also brew their own beer, grow tobbacco plants, etc... but we choose not to because it is easier to just go buy a pack of ciggs or beer. The government CAN make tons of money on it. The reason it is not legal is because they will not be able to control the THC levels in the marijuana. We all know that the funk bud is very high in THC, and shwag is not. It is like moonshine, the alchohol content it too much so it is illegal, Marijuana could not be controlled if it were legal as far as its' THC content. Also if Marijuana were legal, we would save tons of money on jailing. I think it is like 40% of people jailed, are there on some kind of Marijuana charge. Yet we are letting theves, and other non-violent people out on the streets because there is not enough room in our jails. The government would save money there, and so would the tax payers.
  • 4 weeks later...
To be honest, I think alcohol should be illegal too. I can't see ONE positive effect of alcohol....and I see a TON of negative effects. I know this will never happen, but I'd be for it.
I agree. If I ever have $147,256,994,357,422,169.29 like DN I will somehow buy a law getting rid of alcohol, cigs, and maybe even some fast food for Daniel.
Cigarettes do not make you high!! Not at all!! Marijuana slows the brain process down. Look I am not going to debate this. Marijuana and Cigarettes are noth terrible for you. But One affects the mind the other affects the lungs and inside. Marijuana fries the brain. So many og my friends who smoke a lot of marijuana are so burnt now. They are so much slower to react even when they are not high and they have no motivation. Kids in middle school even say they hate cigarettes but they like marijuana. They like to get high. It is not that easy for them to get right now at there age. Plus my original arguement was he compared obesity to marijuana. My typing well i could care less whether u like it or not i am pkaying poker and typing while writing a math test and eating one of Daniel's super duper Boca Burgers.
im only in 10th grade, but I know that you meant there, not their, and I also know that even in middle school kids can buy weed. I don't do that, never have and never will. I live in a suburban town and you could get pot when your 12 or 13. As for the actual topic of this whole thing.... the point DN is making is that pot and being obese are two things that are harmful to your health. I also think alcohol and smoking cigs are harmful to your health. In the end none of the previously stated activities or life choices are healty for you. In the long run none of them will benefit you and in some and/or most cases your life will end because of one of those. Also for who cares if Drug use is at teh bottom of the list. Who cares if it's a total from all drugs and not just pot. The fact of the matter is 17,000 people died. Some drug users out their chose to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars getting high, only to die. Whether 10 or 10,000 people died because of weed, the money could be put to better use. We spend several hundred thousand dying from drugs when there are people in third world countries that only need a few hundred dollars to live on. Think about that next time you go out to buy your pot. Say you spend just $10 a week on weed, that's still $3650 a year. One night you do manage to kill someone well you are high, in a car or not. Was that person's life worth your $3650? For less than $1 per dose you can prevent an African infant from contracting HIV from their mother. If you do the complex multiplication that comes out to over 3,650 infants you could save by not smoking pot. You choose....One accidental death because you spent $3650 getting high or you can help save 3,650 lives and give up smoking weed. What would you do? I'm sure if you wanted to you could transform these numbers into pot odds and relate it to poker. i think if you did that you would be getting pretty good odds to call that bet of saving 3000+ lives.
GED or no GED the man is a F****g genius.Second funniest thing i heard all day. This has me in tears. What makes him a genius? His diet and his poker 2004. Besides that one year in poker and his diet of veggies and alcohol and weed. He has proven himself to be a complete buffoon
sorry i know ive made like three consecutive posts, but isnt this site for fans of DN?
Very nice post, well written. I'm surprised no one has said anything about it. I think your points are excellent, and as a 21-year old graduating senior in college, I am impressed at your knowledge and articulatory (is that a word?) skills at the age of 15. If this forum continues to be rife with kids, I hope there will be more like you and less people whose sole meaning of existence seems to be to mock others without making valid points. Of course I am judging only from this one post but still...
Thank you for the compliment, however i'd like to mention that i am not, in fact, 15. I am 27. Maybe that dilutes your opinion of my post. Who knows.