marijuana compared to fast food --go back to hs

Wow some of you are grossly uninformed and way off point. First of all...marijuana being illegal in no way shape or form keeps it out of kids hands. In fact as a fifteen year old i could get marijuana anytime i wanted. Just give me fifteen minutes. But if we wanted beer, we'd have to plan it. Marijuana, when consumed in moderation is no more harmful than OCCASIONAL fast food. For the record, I don't smoke marijuana anymore, i'm going on four years clean of the stuff. I also don't eat fast food. But in all my years of knowing and hanging out with "stoners" i have never once heard of stoned driving being the cause of a car accident...there's two little anecdotes I like to share whenever a comparison of marijuana and alcohol come up. One's a joke, the other isn't...1) What's the difference between a drunk driver and a stoned one? The drunk driver sees the stop sign and drives through it. The stoned driver sees it, stops and waits for it to turn green2) When i was a kid, sometimes my dad would come home late at night drunk and he'd beat my little sister's ass. Other nights he'd come home stoned and he'd just sit on the couch laughing at cartoons. I know which one i prefer. Anyway, there is a lot of misinformation out there about everything from marijuana to fast food, to sugar substitutes. I don't like to call people ignorant or stupid when they think marijuana is so evil, because i don't think it's your fault. I just think you've been misinformed. Another reason is that there's very little scientific information about the actual effects of marijuana use, because since the 1930's it's been illegal to even study them! For one, the first anti-marijuana laws in the nation were passed in the southwest as a reason to deport mexican immigrants. They were selectively enforced as well. Just...don't believe everything you hear about what's good for you. don't forget that there are perfectly legal, OTC drugs that have been scientifically proven to DOUBLE your chance of having a fatal heart attack (aleve) and there are popular food additives that have been proven to increase your risk of cancer (nitrites used to cure meat,and aspartame..aka Nutrasweet) And the herb Stevia, which is 300 times sweeter than sugar, and therefore much cheaper to produce is illegal to sell as a sweeteneer despite the fact that the only side effects found in 30 years of research was the ability to regenerate the liver. Yet herb companies are forced to sell it as a "dietary supplement" and are barred by law from even mentioning it's sweetening properties. Why? Because the money thrown around by large pharmaceutical companies that produce Aleve and Aspartame has far reaches into the government.my point in mentioning this "off topic" information is that just because something is legal or illegal has no effect on whether something is actually good to use. Do some research, and find out for yourself. I realize I'm coming across as an idiot, but that's how the "Marijuana Kills Kids, So let's go to Mickey D's and Drink Diet Soda" crowd comes across to alot of people too. Oh well, let's talk about poker now.Anyway, i'm gonna go back to my 90% raw, 100% organic dinner, and drink some Stevia "supplemented" herbal tea (also 100% organic)...
Very nice post, well written. I'm surprised no one has said anything about it. I think your points are excellent, and as a 21-year old graduating senior in college, I am impressed at your knowledge and articulatory (is that a word?) skills at the age of 15. If this forum continues to be rife with kids, I hope there will be more like you and less people whose sole meaning of existence seems to be to mock others without making valid points. Of course I am judging only from this one post but still...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not trying to justify anyone because I hate drug addicts, alcoholics, and fat asses. I have smoked, I do drink, and I do eat.
********************************Did anyone else L their FAO at this statement...funny, funny stuff!!!That's like me saying "I hate pedophiles...all the girls I sleep with are over 14!!
I am not trying to justify anyone because I hate drug addicts, alcoholics, and fat asses. I have smoked, I do drink, and I do eat.
********************************Did anyone else L their FAO at this statement...funny, funny stuff!!!That's like me saying "I hate pedophiles...all the girls I sleep with are over 14!!
Could you miss the point anymore? There's a big difference between an addict and someone who has simply smoked or drank. And no, I didn't L my FAO on that statement. I didn't even L my FAO on your bad analysis of it.

Ok...so it's more like me saying "I hate stupid people"!!Whatever man, show me the drinker that isn't an Alchy in some way!!Serious question...if I have 1 beer a day, does that make me an alcoholic??

Ok...so it's more like me saying "I hate stupid people"!!
No, that's a self-loathing thing. J/K :club:
Whatever man, show me the drinker that isn't an Alchy in some way!!Serious question...if I have 1 beer a day, does that make me an alcoholic??
Seriously? It makes you a guy who drinks one beer a day. Nothing more, nothing less. Being addicted to anything is usually not a good idea. The key is to do everything in moderation, especially on those things that may be harmful to your body, such as smoking marijuana or drinking, eating Big Macs, etc.

Good old simpsons, from the episode were homer uses medicinal marijuana:MOEWhat's the matter, Homer? You're like drunk, but you're not sloppy-drunk.HOMERGoing cold turkey isn't as delicious a it sounds.MOEI'm really glad you're off the wacky tobaccy.LENNYYeah, you were getting all spacey and everything. We were going to have an intervention.CARLYeah, but at the planning party, I got alcohol poisoning. I nearly died!They laugh.MOEI was already making excuses not to go to your funeral.

There are a lot of things in America that are legal that shouldn't be. In my opinion marijuana should not be legal, nor should tobacco or alcohol. Why? I don't care what anybody says, they affect the world around them, especially tobacco. When I see parents smoke in their car, I feel bad that the kids have to breathe that harmful smoke. When I see people drink and drive I know they are putting the people around them at risk. When they drink, the first thing that effects them is judgement. This can have a negative effect to anybody around them. Marijuana is not as bad as the others, but it still impairs driving and the smoke is still bad for people. However, we can't take control of everything people eat. I wouldn't care if fast food places were knocked out, but people are still going to eat their fried chicken and salty french fries.

But at least they [cigarettes] do not affect the way the mind works. Actually they do, though they do not produce the type of hallucinogenic effects that pot does. Some people argue that pot stimulates areas of the brain that are not normally used, so that it is not a slam dunk to claim that occasional use of pot has net negative consequences for the brain.I'll agree that chronic use of hallicinogenic drugs (including alcohol) have various harmful effects, though.I'd like to state for the record that I have no taken a puff of a cigarette, either tobacco or marijuana, in my life. I do drink plenty of coffee and eat plenty of dark chocolate.

This thread made me giggle. I can't believe this point was even made, "People driving under the influence of marijuana can kill people."Well, no shit. People driving in the rain can kill people. I drink alcohol pretty regularly--and pretty heavily. I've smoked weed a few dozen times, smoked about half to a full pack a day for the last two years and ate like shit since I started college. I've almost died as a result of my alcohol use multiple times; alcohol poisoning, climbing on roofs, playing with fireworks, swimming when I was drunk, driving when I probably shouldn't, whatever. I've gained weight as a result of my shity eating; If I kept up eating Dollar Double Cheeseburgers from McDonald's I'd probably die before 65 from a heart attack. I've smoked waaay too many cigarettes; Keep it up and I'll likely die of emphysema or lung cancer before I even make it to 65 to have a heart attack.I've made dumb jokes and laugh non-sensically while high on marijuana; That's it. If marijuana is illegal than alcohol and cigarettes should be--and that's coming from someone who use both as vices.To say that marijuana is more problematic than food that's not healthful is just ignorant. But, I wouldn't expect much more coming from Teacher.I'm done rambling, now.

By that logic, you're only a few steps away from cocaine and heroin being sold in every neighborhood drug store. Logically, that would be the next step taken by radical leftists, right? If you give an inch, they'll try to take a mile. Leftists are in favour of MORE, not LESS government regulation. Leftists do not push for harmful drugs to be legalized; libertarians do.

Since nobody even thought to mention the benifits of GROWING CANNIBIS...here....http://www.jackherer.com/Since so many are so knowledgeable about marijuana and why it should be illegal, here is $100,000 if you can prove this guy wrong. OP: Maybe you should learn about both sides of an argument before you open your mouth. You clearly know nothing about this drug. Oh, good luck on getting $100,000 cause nobody has done it yet.

The leading causes of death were tobacco (435 000 deaths; 18.1% of total US deaths), poor diet and physical inactivity (400 000 deaths; 16.6%), and alcohol consumption (85 000 deaths; 3.5%). Other actual causes of death were microbial agents (75 000), toxic agents (55 000), motor vehicle crashes (43 000), incidents involving firearms (29 000), sexual behaviors (20 000), and illicit use of drugs (17 000). Conclusions These analyses show that smoking remains the leading cause of mortality.However, poor diet and physical inactivity may soon overtake tobacco as theleading cause of death. These findings, along with escalating health care costs andaging population, argue persuasively that the need to establish a more preventive orientationin the US health care and public health systems has become more urgent.JAMA. 2004;291:1238-1245 www.jama.comAn exhaustive search of the literature finds no credible reports of deaths induced by marijuana. The US Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) records instances of drug mentions in medical examiners' reports, and though marijuana is mentioned, it is usually in combination with alcohol or other drugs. Marijuana alone has not been shown to cause an overdose death.NOW PLEASE STFU! :club:

I just think it's ludicrous that alcohol is considered illegal, but not one thing you, or anyone in office, has said is a valid reason pro one and not the other.
Ok, I'll take this one. The reason alcohol is legal is because we tried to make it illegal once. As many people that die from alcohol every year, MORE people died when it was illegal. I'd have to go dig it up, but there was a study that showed the number of alcohol related deaths, number of alcoholics, etc before, during, and after prohibition. ALL of the numbers spiked during prohibition and returned to normal afterwards. It also played a big part in the rise of organized crime in this country. Having alcohol illegal simply became too dangerous, so it was made legal again.Marijuana was made illegal purely out of racism. It's sad, but true. It was originally racism against Mexican immigrants, and later also included blacks. It was thought that smoking marijuana made Mexican's crazy and uncrontrollable and that it made blacks chase after white women. So it was made illegal. Gotta love our country's history, don't ya? LOL!To sum up for the class, alcohol is legal because making it illegal is too dangerous. Marijuana is illegal, at this point, because of inertia. It's been illegal for a while and the lawmakers don't want to change it.

Think about it. People using drugs will do so even if the price gets higher. Increases in prices simply won't cause people to significantly change drug use. By making marijuana ilegal you reduce the supply which creates a higher price. However, as i already pointed out, a higher price does not realy affect drug use, so the suppliers will only make more money. If marijuana was legalized and regulated by the government, dealers would not make money, rather the government could use that money to fund healthcare or other worthwhile projects. Instead of focusing on limiting the supply of drugs it makes more sense to focus on drug education at an early age so the demand for drugs falls resulting in a lower quantity of drug use. Also, keep in mind that there are more deaths related to gang warfare over drugs than through drug use so government regulations would also reduce the murder rate. This is all coming from a person who never used marijuana.

HOW DANGEROUS IS MARIJUANA COMPARED WITH OTHER SUBSTANCES? Number of American deaths per year that result directly or primarily from the following selected causes nationwide, according to World Almanacs, Life Insurance Actuarial (death) Rates, and the last 20 years of U.S. Surgeon Generals' reports. TOBACCO 340,000 to 450,000 ALCOHOL (Not including 50% of all highway deaths and 65% of all murders) 150,000+ ASPIRIN (Including deliberate overdose) 180 to 1,000+ CAFFEINE (From stress, ulcers, and triggering irregular heartbeats, etc.) 1,000 to 10,000 "LEGAL" DRUG OVERDOSE (Deliberate or accidental) from legal, prescribed or patent medicines and/or mixing with alcohol - e.g. Valium/alcohol 14,000 to 27,000 ILLICIT DRUG OVERDOSE (Deliberate or accidental) from all illegal drugs. 3,800 to 5,200 MARIJUANA 0 (Marijuana users also have the same or lower incidence of murders and highway deaths and accidents than the general non-marijuana using population as a whole. Crancer Study, UCLA; U.S. Funded ($6 million), First & Second Jamaican Studies, 1968 to 1974; Costa Rican Studies, 1980 to 1982; et al. LOWEST TOXICITY 100% of the studies done at dozens of American universities and research facilities show pot toxicity does not exist. Medical history does not record anyone dying from an overdose of marijuana (UCLA, Harvard, Temple, etc.).

I might have a drink once or twice a year for whatever reason. Alky and Poker do not mix. :roll: I have never tried weed or any other "Illegal Type" drug. My mother smoked Virginia Slim Menthols for 50 years but quit 18 months ago.She says she still wants a cig but she won't faulter.If they made weed legal I am not sure if I would try it or not. As a first thought I would say no. I am curious as to what "being high" is like as I know it is different for each person. I know a few people that smoke weed and the smell is not that bad compared to cigs.

I think, anyone who demands that alcohol should be illegalized in a discussion about cannabis is a moron.Alcohol is a drug thats dangers are often underestimated, it is very harmful to the body and mind and highly addictive. The dangerousness of cannabis is often overestimated (especially when it's mentioned like cocain, heroin, etc), but it is dangerous in certain ways also. It can be mentally addictive and habitual use can be damaging to the body since it is mostly used in unhealthy ways (smoking).In my opinion the actual point though isn't whether a substance should be illegal or not because it is harmful, but whether it is more or less harmful if it is illegal.Prohibtion of alcohol didn't work, and prohbition of cannabis is a spectacular failure too. I believe, that if cannabis were legal for adults, minors would actually have a much harder time buying it. People who sell cannabis on the street are criminals, they know, that they possibly face jail-time when they are caught and why should they have any reservations selling it to minors? (btw, it would lessen otherwise law-abiding citizens contact with really dangerous drugs too!)There are many other bad consequences of the criminalisation of cannabis too, for example that it strenghtens organised crime, loss of taxes, it causes distrust of the police,...I read or heard somewhere, that the number of people imprisoned in the USA for using cannabis alone, is higher than the total number of prisoners in the EU, Russia and Japan combined. While I don't know if that is true (it is believable though and thats saying something already) and partially that is a different topic too. But can you imagine what costs are inflicted on society by putting millions of people in prison for a ridiculous crime?btw: I smoke weed very seldom, about once every couple months or so and I really cannot see why that should be wrong in any way at all.

Ok...I keep hearing that "no one has ever overdosed on marijuana" but I was always of the mind that smoking pot was worse than cigarettes!Does anyone have any stats on this subject, for or against!??!My point is this, if pot also causes lung cancer, emphysema, et. al. then it should be at the top of the list w/ smoking!!

I did a little and came up with a few tidbits.*******************************************************In one of the largest marijuana studies ever conducted, researchers have concluded that regular pot smoking does not cause death, but that branding its use a crime may itself pose a health hazard by exposing users to criminals and violence. And because marijuana use is so widespread in America today, the researchers called for medical guidelines warning that pot smoking can lead to risky sexual behavior, impaired driving ability and ultimately to a strong dependence akin to drug addiction. BUTThe researchers tracked the records of more than 65,000 Bay Area members of the Kaiser Permanente health plan for an average of 10 years. Compared to the members who had never used marijuana, they found no increase in deaths among more than 14,000 of the patients who had said they were marijuana users between 1979 and 1985. The report noted that while marijuana smoking does not cause death, pot smokers make significantly more clinic visits for respiratory infections like coughs, colds and flu than nonsmokers. In one part of the study, the researchers compared the risk of death among the marijuana users to deaths among cigarette smokers and those who consumed three or more alcoholic drinks a day. Mortality was highest of all for the cigarette smokers, but the mortality risk among marijuana smokers and drinkers varied by gender. Among women, those who smoked marijuana had a lower risk of death than drinkers, while mortality was higher among men who smoked pot than it was among those who drank regularly. The researchers stressed throughout their report that the links they found between pot use and deaths were associations but not an indication that marijuana was a cause of death. ******************************************Interesting...but it was a pretty limited field in the years studied!!

I thought the analogy comparing a burger to a joint was silly.I thought comparing a joint to a shot was valid. (both recreational substances that cause harm but differring legal situations largely because of the "war on drugs")I thought the food analogy brought up an interesting commentary on how much control the government should have on substances. (I don't think they should force people to eat healthily, but companies that promote unhaelthy lifestyles should be penalized by taxes (with the money going to health care of course) )I think that legalizing marijauna would cause fewer problems then the current system. (lots of money spent by policing encarceration and the justice system versus the taxation of marijuana that would offset any negatives in health care not to mention the medicinal benefits of marijauna)I know smoking one joint is more harmful then smoking one cigarette. The studies that have said otherwise were flawed in that they were comparing total use in one day (a smoke might have 2-3 packs a day while a stoner probably wont go more then 2-3gs) I did a study of it in high school (no pun intended)

I have some weed in my house right now: and I will bet 12 I am more healthy then him. No one has ever died from pot but many many have drop dead from heart attack after becoming to fat! I will smoke myself out and paly 12 a poker match my reactions will be the same, all those stats. on grass are false. Many very ill people use pot and it helps them and those who helped them out are sometimes put away(murdered) by a new byword "Law" ; there is nothing to those morals He presents. The clearcut forest tracts are the result of banning pot not the salvation of slaves or the poor.