are the players in "high stakes" on gsn comp'd?

By "comp'd" I simply mean compensated in any way. I was watching a couple epidsodes of High Stakes Poker on Game Show Network (GSN) and I'm excited to get to see some live cash game action on TV. This is an amazing way for players to get more insight into the game on a completely new level compared to what we're used to seeing on TV. The players involved are putting up their own money to give HSOC (I believe the owners/producers of the show) and GSN some ratings, and I"m just wondering if the players get anything in return? It seems like monetary exchange would belittle the fact that the players are using their own money, so is there any other deal going on? Basically, all I'm asking is if you guys get anything other than a good game of poker out of it in the end?

Didn't DN mention something ab0ut that ? I remember reading somewhere about some compensation, nothing at all like the amount of money they would win or lost but compensation none the less.Besides that and the action you know all involved are looking for the facetime on TV and I don't blame them a bit.Fun to watch, I'm looking forward to tonight even though it should be about the start of DN getting taken to the cleaners !

24 Hours of filming? Well since GSN has so far aired the first 2 hours, I guess only 22 more hours to go. Are they really going to drag this out for 22 more episodes? Daniel, did you play the entire time or get switched out? I noticed that Todd Brunson, Sammy Farha, and a few others will be on the next show on GSN.

The players were paid like actors- $1250 an hour. There was 24 hours of filming so GSN paid the players a total of $240,000. There was no rake, but the dealers did accept tokes.

I am really enjoying the interaction between the players. Daniel, Sammy, Jennifer and even The Sheik make for interesting tv. You can tell that guys like Barry are fairly out of their element when it comes to being filmed while playing.

Well thank goodness for only 13 of them. I think 24 would have been overkill. I did want to ask a few questions with regards to when I was watching the show. Was Doyle really serious or just fooling around when he was talking to Jennifer about her spreading her germs and not wanting to get sick as she had a cold? Also, is Jerry Buss really that tight of a player? I've seen him play only a few hands during the 1st two shows so far? He really doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of you guys there. It seems his personality is more on the stiff side. Just wondering.

I played the whole 24. They are filming 13 episoded and it's all edited down to show you some of the best stuff.
  • 3 weeks later...
The players were paid like actors- $1250 an hour. There was 24 hours of filming so GSN paid the players a total of $240,000.
To what degree do you think that affected their play? I noticed most of the players bought in for considerably less than the 240k... do you think some of them treated their buy in like a cash game freeroll (so to speak) ?In other words, how different was that game from your normal game with these guys and gals?
There was no rake, but the dealers did accept tokes.
Imagine that :)FWIW, I take back what I said about GSN in a previous post. This is by far my favorite poker show. Ever.Jeff
  • 2 weeks later...
To what degree do you think that affected their play? I noticed most of the players bought in for considerably less than the 240k... do you think some of them treated their buy in like a cash game freeroll (so to speak) ?In other words, how different was that game from your normal game with these guys and gals?Imagine that :)FWIW, I take back what I said about GSN in a previous post. This is by far my favorite poker show. Ever.Jeff
No one is freerolling. 1250 x 24 = 30k (thats if they played the entire 24 hours) and the minimum buy in was 100k.the 240k figure is how much they payed for 8 seats to be filled for 24 hours, not to 1 player.