semi celeb wins tourney

did anyone listen to the broadcast from UB? Did Duke say anything during it.
This caused some controversy on another msg board where most of the UB players post, and a lot of the UB pros, until the board (p5s) told everyone to shut up about it. The situation as explained by several people is this:Annie Duke showed up several hours late for the webcast and explained it as "I got the wrong directions to the studio". Many people take this as "I was playing for my boyfriend". The interesting part is, while they were waiting for her to show up, Jon Vorhaus (another commentator) was talking about some of the players still in the tourney and commented on the Lolita-inspired username hhumbert. Someone present informed him that Hhumbert was Annie Duke's boyfriend.When Annie finally showed up, she said "my boyfriend is still in this, but don't tell anyone what his username is", and neither Vorhaus nor the 3rd commentator mentioned to her that they had already let the cat out of the bag.At some point, Annie mentioned that her boyfriend was playing on HER account.Several times at the final table, the third announcer (forget his name, some british guy who has a poker show on Sirius radio) said "humbert raises... and he takes down the blinds", etc, and then very very oddly added "I mean he or she, we don't know whether humbert is male or female". This was weird, and at no point did anyone say anything similar about any other player, but I think the announcers had decided to not acknowledge that hhumbert was Annie's boyfriend, in case it looked ultra-shady.Many people thought Annie was coaching through the webcast. While she gave general commentary of all the players, a few people pointed out that she gave somewhat in-depth instructions of the general strategy for playing a big stack when it was about 5 or 6 handed and hhumbert was the big stack. She went into detail saying "humbert should be sitting back, not taking any unnecessary risks and making sure he has a lot of chips when it gets 3 handed", etc. She gave commentary on all the game, but at no point anything that specific, nor did she discuss how small stacks or medium stacks should be playing at that point.On one very big hand, a flop came ace high, one player bet out big, the second one went all-in and hhumbert went into the tank, thinking for a long time. Annie gave some of the most specific info she had given all game saying "If I was humbert, I would want at least AK to call here", at which point he came out of the tank and called the bet. (While the result of the hand is irrelevant, the all-in guy had bottom 2 pair, and when hhumbert caught an ace on the river to eliminate him, Annie said "serves him right!". I swear none of this is made up).At one point, Annie was chatting to the other commentators and mentioned how the spacebar of her keyboard wasn't working and it was very annoying because she was instant messaging with someone during the broadcast. Later on she posted on the msg boards saying "I was messaging Shawn Rice (another UB pro)" to explain this, when people pointed out she was probably messaging her boyfriend.So, the real issue with this situation for a lot of people is that the whole thing is very shady. Whether Annie coached her boyfriend through the broadcast or not is up for debate, but the fact is that UB held it's biggest tournament of the year, with a huge field, and somehow the account that won belonged to Annie Duke, a UB employee (she plans and schedules all the tournaments) who was actually commentating the tournament at the time. This would be analagous to Lee Jones winning the sunday Stars tourney and then saying "Nice work Lee, you pick up $266,000 for your efforts!" at the table. Had the account not actually belonged to Annie Duke and had she ackonledged at the final table "You know what, there's a conflict here, my boyfriend is at this table, I just want to be upfront", instead of the commentators falsely saying they had no clue who hhumbert was, this would not be such an issue.
Wait a second........... I just realized that a couple people have "In memory of BigDmcgee" things in their sigs. Someone wanna fill me in on what happened.
http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...pic.php?t=47025

thats very interesting story about annie coaching her b-friend.Does anyone have a link to a similar analysis? i'd like to read more.thanks,cody

Holy censored!  I was wondering why I recognized the guy with Duke when I saw her last March!  That UB story is interesting, I wonder how/if it will be resolved.
There won't be a resolution, UB is an unregulated online gambling company who don't need to answer to anyone (ask Pokershare. Well, they have to answer in court to that issue I guess now they're being sued). The only people who could really get to them here are their users, and when this issue was brought up the night of the tournament on p5s, most of them just said "Shut up or Annie won't post here anymore, put on a tin foil hat, Annie is our friend, etc."When this issue came up on p5s, I posted about it along with everyone else (a number of people were outraged the night of the tourney, as it was happening), and was repeatedly told by people that I was being negative, I was an idiot, etc., and then the moderators turned off my ability to post. Annie Duke and several other UB pros and employees are contributors to that forum and the site wanted to preserve it's connections, fair enough. But how is anything ever going to be resolved when 80% of a site's users can't admit to themselves maybe something shady happened and should be questioned? If I was UB, I wouldn't do anything whatsoever about this, no need, the groupies can attack everyone at will, UB can sit back, put the biggest prize they've probably ever had in the account of one of their main employees (again, who is in charge of planning tournaments) and worry about other things (like whether Pokershare is about to bankrupt them in court).There will certainly be no resolution, the only comment so far has been Annie saying "I was instant messaging Shawn Rice" and ignoring all the other issues.

WOW...I had no idea....that IS shady...I have no problem with Annie Duke or Hellmuth or devilfish entering the tourney and winning.....But I do have a problem with another player recieving special instructions and getting helped along on a win BY...drumroll please.....ONE OF THE EMPLOYEES of the site....Can you imagine if Annie Duke shared some HH from the other players directly from UB's databanks? with her boyfriend no less? This stinks to high heaven.WOW.I guess UB is rigged.

you can call that moving down limits
I'm sure there was a bad beat involved, or at least that's what he most likely claimed. Yeah, this is pretty funny though. When they aired the WSOP Main Event, the only episode that DN was in this past year. Didn't he go up and talk to Shannon Elizabeth, and it looked like her husband was standing right next to her. Maybe this whole thing went down more recent than that, just sayin'
Holy censored! I was wondering why I recognized the guy with Duke when I saw her last March! That UB story is interesting, I wonder how/if it will be resolved.
There won't be a resolution, UB is an unregulated online gambling company who don't need to answer to anyone (ask Pokershare. Well, they have to answer in court to that issue I guess now they're being sued). The only people who could really get to them here are their users, and when this issue was brought up the night of the tournament on p5s, most of them just said "Shut up or Annie won't post here anymore, put on a tin foil hat, Annie is our friend, etc."When this issue came up on p5s, I posted about it along with everyone else (a number of people were outraged the night of the tourney, as it was happening), and was repeatedly told by people that I was being negative, I was an idiot, etc., and then the moderators turned off my ability to post. Annie Duke and several other UB pros and employees are contributors to that forum and the site wanted to preserve it's connections, fair enough. But how is anything ever going to be resolved when 80% of a site's users can't admit to themselves maybe something shady happened and should be questioned? If I was UB, I wouldn't do anything whatsoever about this, no need, the groupies can attack everyone at will, UB can sit back, put the biggest prize they've probably ever had in the account of one of their main employees (again, who is in charge of planning tournaments) and worry about other things (like whether Pokershare is about to bankrupt them in court).There will certainly be no resolution, the only comment so far has been Annie saying "I was instant messaging Shawn Rice" and ignoring all the other issues.
has west texas man came forward and confirmed this?

For what it is worth, I met Joe at the last two Howard Lederer poker camps (April 05 and December 05). I got to spend some time with him at the poker table and away from it. With the other comments not withstanding, he was a good player in April and a much better player in December, so I was not surprised to hear that he won the UB tournament. As to all of the other stuff, I can't comment...but he is quite a good player with a very good understanding of the game.Michaelps - Also for what it is worth, Shawn was at the last poker camp and he and Annie were quite chatty during the event...so to hear so was PM'ing him would not be a surprise either.