i don't like daniel

Sorry, I didnt know you had to have a glass of KoolAid before you entered this forum. I've been reading it for a long time, but have never been fully indoctrinated into the cult. Take off your blinders guys, there is a world outside with differing opinions. A positive and healthy discourse could broaden your mind... then again .. the KoolAid's probably really yummy. Grape?01.28.70

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was born in the olden days of 1840, when the sun was hot and the work was good. i remember ol' tim used to talk up a storm while we sat on the porch drinkin' lemon-juice and smokin' stogies. ol' linda always said, you boys sit out there any longer you'll turn into Georgia raisins!and i'll be darned if we didn't turn into raisins!!!!!

I have been a lurker on here for over a year, so I'm not really that 'new'... but this is my first thread.  You know, "long time lurker, first time poster"..I have gone through the same problem in my head with Lance Armstrong, he has talent I am in awe of and my life stops in July to watch le Tour.  Heck, I even took a day trip away from my honeymoon to watch him roll past last year, but in the end, I don't really "like" him.I think he's a pompous, arrogant, mysogynist ass.  Read "It's Not About the Bike"... the nicest thing he says about his wife is he calls her his "stud wife".. he calls her that at least 3 times in the book.DN, for me, is in the same boat.  He is someone I really want to like and idolize, but he just does these little arrogant things that censored me off.You may find it fun and funny, I think he's being a bit of a jerk.01.28.70[as for the birthday thing .. it's just an easy handle to have, doesnt mean a thing]
Daniel can be a wise guy sometimes, but he really is only goofing around. After reading his blog, his articles and seeing him play I am convinced that the guy has not done a malicious thing since 2001 (he didnt have articles or a blog before then so I have no basis for judging him before then). It's one thing to bash someone's sense of humor, but lay off of his character. As for your criticisms on his playing style, he's won 36 major tournaments. Ok? 36! He did not have one "lucky" year and then become this celebrity. Doyle Brunson also thinks he is one of the greats, and , if he keeps his mind focused on tournament play, will challenge or break most of the records (WSOP, WPT ect.). Brunson is absolutely right, and you are totally wrong. Go back to lurking. OR maybe you should tp/mm and then we will all go over to your site and read your blog.
Sorry, I didnt know you had to have a glass of KoolAid before you entered this forum.  I've been reading it for a long time, but have never been fully indoctrinated into the cult.  Take off your blinders guys, there is a world outside with differing opinions.  A positive and healthy discourse could broaden your mind... then again .. the KoolAid's probably really yummy.  Grape?01.28.70
yeah, since we're all just riding daniel's jock, and he really sucks and is going to go broke.or, we're sick and tired of people saying how much he sucks, although he made more last year in his off year than just about anyone that posts criticisms of him here will ever make in their poker careers.whichever makes you sleep better at night.koolaid's yummyOH YEEAHH
Dident even read what you had to say, saw you had two post and right  there I knew you were an idiot.
Right.... because the people that post the most always say the most intelligent or entertaining things.Brevity is a virtue.

People who try to articulate why they dont like the guy on his own forum are as confusing as the people who've fallen in love with him.He's just a regular guy.Who plays poker.And is apparently pretty good at it.If you met him at a table, you'd think nothing of it and you'd probably think he's a pretty good player, but not fully understand the extent of his ... goodness at it. You'd think he was a decent, normal guy. Or maybe a homosexual. Or both!What was my point again?*puts on the flamesuit*

The O.P. does have every right to his argument just as we have every right to flame his position. I commend him for a well thought out comment.Daniel does indeed at times come off pretty arrogant, but that should be expected of anyone at the top of their profession. Coc kyness and confidence are sometimes barely distiguishable and while I feel that Daniel has a heart of gold, often times he does things that seem a bit over the top and bombastic.Daniel has admitted this about himself and actually attributed Lori to helping him reign it in a bit. I think it's fine. The guy is arguably the most successful player/self promoter there is in the game today, and for that alone he is a genius.Bottom line, like him or not, we would all love to be in his shoes. Best of luck to Daniel in the next event.And best of luck to th O.P.

January28You do realize that if Daniel was wrong, he loses a large amount of money in that situation. He trusted his read and made a bet large enough to push anyone out that had a possible flush or straight draw. If he was right, then everyone folds and he wins a decent pot. If he loses, then he has egg on his face and he moves on to the next hand. Its poker 101: If you are sure you can win the pot right then and there, make a bet large enough that those who are unsure of themselves will fold.I guarantee that most other poker pro's would agree with Daniel's assessment of the situation had they been in the same place. Bottom pair with two cards to go, and a decent size pot sitting in the table, he wants to take it then and there. Plus, the psychological edge of Daniel's willingness to push his money around like that makes others play more conservately, allowing Daniel to take even more pots with bottom or middle pair. Basic big stack play. Anyone can go all in with Aces. It takes someone with guts to go all in with bottom pair and trust his read to push the rest of the table out.

Now that I've got your attention ....I've been thinking a lot lately about DN and whether or not I am a "fan" of his.  Watching the GSN show this week really solidified my doubts about him that were originally raised with his boastful tossing of chips in a game at Wynn's 2 or 3 months ago.How much skill does it take to walk into a 50/100 game and raise it up to 10k every hand.  In the GSN show his back to back all ins... "I have bottom pair, make it 1 Meeelion" [Dr Evil would be proud] .. may have set up future moves, but didn't show much skill or finesse.I really don't like his table manners or his playing style.  Honestly, I think is style is catching up with him.  It's arrogant, reckless and much like the fish online it catches up with you.  Yup, $4M in one year is good, and every donkey online wins a few hands, but in the end they go broke and I fear that's where DN could be headed.So I am not a fan of DN's play, I wouldn't and don't try to pattern myself after him.  Watching how Ted Forrest and Barry Greenstein played in the GSN show makes them far more suitable role models.  Now I know DN isn't trying to be a role model, he's just being his gregarious outgoing self, but it's just not working for me - it's a turn off.Shut up and play, Daniel.  You know how to, stop tossing around chips like you're Daddy Warbucks, there's a finite pile in the back room, they don't last forever.Okay, I'm rambling... not really making a cohesive argument.  In the end I don't like Daniel's play or his attitude, but I do like his blog, I find it an entertaining "lifestyle" read and think his life would make a fun reality show.  But my Poker Idol he is not.Thanks...01.28.70
i dont careGood luck.
People who try to articulate why they dont like the guy on his own forum are as confusing as the people who've fallen in love with him.He's just a regular guy.Who plays poker.And is apparently pretty good at it.If you met him at a table, you'd think nothing of it and you'd probably think he's a pretty good player, but not fully understand the extent of his ... goodness at it.  You'd think he was a decent, normal guy. Or maybe a homosexual.  Or both!What was my point again?*puts on the flamesuit*
thanks. that sums it all up. i totally agree.
Sorry, I didnt know you had to have a glass of KoolAid before you entered this forum.  I've been reading it for a long time, but have never been fully indoctrinated into the cult.  Take off your blinders guys, there is a world outside with differing opinions.  A positive and healthy discourse could broaden your mind... then again .. the KoolAid's probably really yummy.  Grape?01.28.70
Obviously you dont post much or lurk cause you would know that the flavor of the month for January is Lime, December's was cherry and November's was watermelon. Didnt you ever stop and think about why the Charter Memberships were in November? Its not because of FCP opening, but everyone loves watermelon.If anyone disagrees I will stap them in the arm with my pencil.p.s. DOnt defend yourself in your own thread, it looks Koopish

I have no problem with the OP statements. While I disagree with the majority of his statements, there may be a little truth to some of the arguments. This is Daniel's forum, but it is also a forum (A public meeting place for open discussion), so don't just call the OP an ass, make a counter argument. My argument would be aside from those of us who have actually met him, we don't know him. So we don't really know how he is. I like his poker skills and he seems nice and I appreciate all his insight, but at the end of the day, I don't really know him.

People who try to articulate why they dont like the guy on his own forum are as confusing as the people who've fallen in love with him.He's just a regular guy.Who plays poker.And is apparently pretty good at it.If you met him at a table, you'd think nothing of it and you'd probably think he's a pretty good player, but not fully understand the extent of his ... goodness at it.  You'd think he was a decent, normal guy. Or maybe a homosexual.  Or both!What was my point again?*puts on the flamesuit*
How many 'regular guys' put $1 million into a pot?

for all the 'tards' that find DN annoying, over the top etc. You take a look at any top sports/business person in their field. It's a pretty fine line between brilliant and cocky. They tend to know they are very good at what they do and therefore appear cocky. I think I can speak for EVERYONE on here. Given half the chance, we would like to be in DN's shoes.I would (well apart from being being Canadian :wink: ).!!

Obviously you dont post much or lurk cause you would know that the flavor of the month for January is Lime, December's was cherry and November's was watermelon. Didnt you ever stop and think about why the Charter Memberships were in November? Its not because of FCP opening, but everyone loves watermelon.If anyone disagrees I will stap them in the arm with my pencil.p.s. DOnt defend yourself in your own thread, it looks Koopish
Define please... :club:
Define please... :club:
Well done , you've spotted a spelling mistake. How about making a useful contribution.

This is truly baffling to me. He makes two very hefty raises and you don't like his style? I'm sure he doesn't vary his style depending on his opponents. Probably be a bit silly to change gears or change up your game a bit when you're playing against the best in the world--who have seen you play many times before.As for you not liking his style, and it not talking "finesse or skill". Who the fuck ever said NLHE was about finesse? It's about picking the correct times to batter the opponent over the head with a stick. Do you think Doyle made his money by finessing people in NLHE? Come on. And don't accuse people of being fanboys or drinking Kool Aid because they see something you can't. The guy is succesful. He's one of many people who makes a good deal of money playing poker. Look at his stats--HE POSTS HIS RESULTS ON THE WEBSITE. He's ahead in tournaments, he's ahead in cash games--what more do you want?The fact you made an account, after lurking for a year, simply to post this is quite puzzling to me. I'd think if I was that disinterested or disenchanted with the site's proprietor, I would probably just stop lurking. I dunno, maybe it's a bit of common sense that just doesn't allow me to see what your aim was here.