shitty laptop dvd player

i figure a lot of you guys on here are pretty tech-savvy, so here's a question..the dvd player on my laptop recently decided it doesn't feel like playing dvds.. in an attempt to fix it, i tried uninstalling windows media player and re-installing it, only to find that i don't have the startup disc anymore.i downloaded a free dvd player, which has sufficed ever since..my problem is, for some reason, my computer isn't reading certain dvds, including rounders which i really feel like watching right now.the majority of the dvds work, but so far i have like 2 or 3 that won't , and of couse, those 2 or 3 are my favorites.HELP

This isn't my strongest field, and I don't know what it could be. I would guess it's a hardware problem. Years ago I had a PS2 that decided to only play a about half of my collection, and Rounder was amongst the effected. If you’re not running a Dell, you would be best served to reformat with XPLite, and use BSPlayer, or something for your media stuff, but that almost surely wouldn’t fix your problem. I don’t know what to say.

goto the windows update site and get whatever is there software wise. It has windows media updates and it may find a better driver for your drive.

goto the windows update site and get whatever is there software wise. It has windows media updates and it may find a better driver for your drive.
is it free?

ya...if your using Internet Explorer click tools then windows update.If you haven't used it I suggest you get whatever they have on there listed as High Priority.

the laser lens is dirty...open the tray and shine a flashlight inside. at the bottom you'll find the lens about halfway inside (look inside a portable cd player for a better look at what it is)use a q-tip to clean the lens... dont press down harduse 2 or three and make sure not to leave fibers on it (use a name brand q-tip with lotsa cotton)should fix it... dust is a problem after a while along with crap that attaches itself to the dvds

if you don't know anything about the windows update page...i'd still check that out. It fixes some security issues that you don't wanna hafta deal with.