i can dodge bullets baby

Guest XXEddie

I played a hand in a $300 buy in limit tournement on Paradise a few days ago where I think I really dodged bullets:I'm dealt AA on the button at a ten handed table.One middle limper, I raise and BB and limper calls.Flopp comes T72 rainbow. BB bets, limper raises, I three bet BB calls and limpar caps. Both call.Turn: 5BB bets middle pos player raises I fold.They don't believe me when I say i folded aces and middle pos player shows set of 7's =)

So I'm far more of a live player then online. When calculating pot odds is there a certain percentage you need to add for calling bets while drawing dead to account for the possiblity of a disconnect?
Yes: 0%, NEVER count on a disconnect
Guest XXEddie
Agreed
I'd be more comfortable calling this preflop raise with 98s as opposed to A9s. Thoughts?
Of course. A9 in this spot is an auto-fold.
It's the first day of the semester here and my first time back at school in 7 months due to my internship...And here I am posting on FCP on a thread about dodging bullets.But yes, A9 folds...and folds, and folds in this spot.Gotta love the Gap Concept.
I think in a 5 man SNG this is close
this one has the idea10 handed I would never call it even on the button
Agreed
I'd be more comfortable calling this preflop raise with 98s as opposed to A9s. Thoughts?
100% agreeI always would rather have 67 then KJ or 78 then KQ(in a situation you're talking about. so easy to play, hard to go broke. KQ you flop 1 of the 2 and its goodnight when you're dominated.
In a minute man... Thats kinda hat I was alluding to when I said taking calculated risks.A lot of my session defining pots are won when someone raises a hand like AK, AA or KK to little (say UP TO 3xbb) i.e. 6 in my 1/2 game. I might callwith 78 suited, hit 2 sevens and double through because 90% of people are incapable of laying down an overpair.If you hit the straight and they have a pair, its a payday...If you hit the draw, because you have POSITION, you can take control of the pot, act upon weakness etc etc...However, I wouldnt call a 5x bb raise with 910 suited if it was heads up... 3 way, if they both have decent stacks, 4 way then its every day and twice on sunday.
I think that's where so many people make mistakes playing NLHE. A9 is inherently, a better hand than 98s. It's also a hand, that, in a raised pot, very likely dominated. Unless two 9's come on the flop, I don't like having A9 in my hand--and even then, I might not feel all too great about it.I'm not saying this is the OP's issue, though the hand seems a bit symptomatic, but, playing a hand like A9, even from position is typically a losing proposition. For the same reason that KJ is a bad hand to be calling raises with, hands like, A2-AJ are bad hands to be calling raises with. KQ is a bad hand to be calling raises with. Naturally, that's all said on a very, very limited and isolated basis, that is, in a vacuum. Obviously table texture, opponent's tendencies, chip stacks, and so on have some say in it, but, for the most part, you're trapping yourself by causing raises with these hands. We make money playing NLHE by letting other people make these mistakes, not by making them ourselves. We make money when people make bad calls, not by making them ourselves.At least with 98s, 78s, 67s, we're almost certain that if we hit the flop hard, we're gold and we're the only ones who have hit it.
Actually very well written. Better than a lot of your other posts.