i can dodge bullets baby

Guest XXEddie

Guest XXEddie

5 man SnG10/20 blindsHero Dealt Ah 9sUTG folds, CO raises to 100, Hero calls, SB calls, BB foldsflop; Qh 9d 2hSB checks, CO bets 100, Hero raises to 275, SB folds, CO raises to 500, Hero Calls*Im pretty sure Im beat, but ill take a chace to hit something, if I miss I still have 900*turn 9h*best card really for me (or so I thought)CO is disconnted, foldsHero wins 1100He said he had flopped top set. Which if true, means i dodges one hell of a bullet

Guest XXEddie
Fold preflop every time.Or fold on the flop.Sure you're getting something like 6:1 or watever. But often times you are either drawing to runner runner or 2 outs.
this is pacific poker.the 5xBB raise, could be anythingthe re-raise to 500, could be AK, could be a 9, could be anything
I fold preflopdo I suck?
almost did5xBB is a little bigbut I had this white circle thing with a "D" in front of me
This is what I mean when I say 80% of players dont really understand position.
Are you trying to say that position means dick when you can hit your hand and still be absolutely dominated?
Pretty much... Its a reason to control pots, pick up dead money and take some more calculated risks, not meekly limp in with hands that are probably dominated and likely to get you into trouble. Would you agree?
Are you trying to say that position means dick when you can hit your hand and still be absolutely dominated?
Pretty much... Its a reason to control pots, pick up dead money and take some more calculated risks, not meekly limp in with hands that are probably dominated and likely to get you into trouble. Would you agree?
To the letter, you nailed it.
I fold preflopdo I suck?
Easiest pre-flop fold ever. It seems that you don't suck. Incidentally, I don't think I even call this if it's suited. However, if it's folded to me I'm almost certainly raising A9 on the button 5-handed. Great example of the gap concept.

In a minute man... Thats kinda hat I was alluding to when I said taking calculated risks.A lot of my session defining pots are won when someone raises a hand like AK, AA or KK to little (say UP TO 3xbb) i.e. 6 in my 1/2 game. I might callwith 78 suited, hit 2 sevens and double through because 90% of people are incapable of laying down an overpair.If you hit the straight and they have a pair, its a payday...If you hit the draw, because you have POSITION, you can take control of the pot, act upon weakness etc etc...However, I wouldnt call a 5x bb raise with 910 suited if it was heads up... 3 way, if they both have decent stacks, 4 way then its every day and twice on sunday.

In a minute man... Thats kinda hat I was alluding to when I said taking calculated risks.A lot of my session defining pots are won when someone raises a hand like AK, AA or KK to little (say UP TO 3xbb) i.e. 6 in my 1/2 game. I might callwith 78 suited, hit 2 sevens and double through because 90% of people are incapable of laying down an overpair.If you hit the straight and they have a pair, its a payday...If you hit the draw, because you have POSITION, you can take control of the pot, act upon weakness etc etc...However, I wouldnt call a 5x bb raise with 910 suited if it was heads up... 3 way, if they both have decent stacks, 4 way then its every day and twice on sunday.
I think that's where so many people make mistakes playing NLHE. A9 is inherently, a better hand than 98s. It's also a hand, that, in a raised pot, very likely dominated. Unless two 9's come on the flop, I don't like having A9 in my hand--and even then, I might not feel all too great about it.I'm not saying this is the OP's issue, though the hand seems a bit symptomatic, but, playing a hand like A9, even from position is typically a losing proposition. For the same reason that KJ is a bad hand to be calling raises with, hands like, A2-AJ are bad hands to be calling raises with. KQ is a bad hand to be calling raises with. Naturally, that's all said on a very, very limited and isolated basis, that is, in a vacuum. Obviously table texture, opponent's tendencies, chip stacks, and so on have some say in it, but, for the most part, you're trapping yourself by causing raises with these hands. We make money playing NLHE by letting other people make these mistakes, not by making them ourselves. We make money when people make bad calls, not by making them ourselves.At least with 98s, 78s, 67s, we're almost certain that if we hit the flop hard, we're gold and we're the only ones who have hit it.
Fold preflop every time.Or fold on the flop.Sure you're getting something like 6:1 or watever.  But often times you are either drawing to runner runner or 2 outs.
this is pacific poker.the 5xBB raise, could be anythingthe re-raise to 500, could be AK, could be a 9, could be anything
Just because you are playing with donkeys doesn't mean you should play like them. It kind of decreases your edge.
Agreed
I'd be more comfortable calling this preflop raise with 98s as opposed to A9s. Thoughts?
Of course. A9 in this spot is an auto-fold.
It's the first day of the semester here and my first time back at school in 7 months due to my internship...And here I am posting on FCP on a thread about dodging bullets.But yes, A9 folds...and folds, and folds in this spot.Gotta love the Gap Concept.
Agreed
I'd be more comfortable calling this preflop raise with 98s as opposed to A9s. Thoughts?
Of course. A9 in this spot is an auto-fold.
It's the first day of the semester here and my first time back at school in 7 months due to my internship...And here I am posting on FCP on a thread about dodging bullets.But yes, A9 folds...and folds, and folds in this spot.Gotta love the Gap Concept.
I think in a 5 man SNG this is close

So. Let me get this straight. I can't get over how bad you played this hand. First you call 5x BB raise with A9o. What are you hoping to beat here? Then you raise on the flop after a stiff bet with mid pair. Then you get reraised and decide to peel one off. Despite the fact that you are drawing to 2 outs against AA and AQ, 5 outs against KK, 0 outs against QQ and hitting anything could have more reverse implied odds than implied odds. Plus the raise is leaving you pretty short stacked. Wow.

So I'm far more of a live player then online. When calculating pot odds is there a certain percentage you need to add for calling bets while drawing dead to account for the possiblity of a disconnect?

So I'm far more of a live player then online. When calculating pot odds is there a certain percentage you need to add for calling bets while drawing dead to account for the possiblity of a disconnect?
if you assume dial up, you can raise

What he failed to mention is that this was a .50 sng.Anything less then ur the live one.I like all this discussion on not calling raises with A9 in pos but calling with suited connectors and whatnot based on implied odds and positional advantage.......Whats with the in depth remedial poekr adivce?I guess Im the only one who assumes a basic level of sophistication out of most of the postersbleh...