phil ivey " i have more to learn"

Phil Ivey made a quote in a profile saying "I have more to learn"if this is the case once he learns what he is missing everyone is doomed!!reputation alone has made him millions again the rich dudes taking a SHOT at him.I was at the Golden Nugget during the 2004 WSOP and he was playing in th back corner with Gus,Chan and a few others... just his stare might make you fold a good hand!!

Phil Ivey made a quote in a profile saying "I have more to learn"if this is the case once he learns what he is missing everyone is doomed!!reputation alone has made him millions again the rich dudes taking a SHOT at him.I was at the Golden Nugget during the 2004 WSOP and he was playing in th back corner with Gus,Chan and a few others... just his stare might make you fold a good hand!!
barry g. has been quoted saying that phil is a great player but still doesn't know the game that well.
barry g. has been quoted saying that phil is a great player but still doesn't know the game that well.
He'd say that about anyone but himself. Doesn't mean anything.
hasn't he been the winner in the big game overall for about the past 5 years? i'd say that gives him the right to say that considering the amount of hands he has played against the other top players over the years.
hasn't he been the winner in the big game overall for about the past 5 years? i'd say that gives him the right to say that considering the amount of hands he has played against the other top players.
Show me the documentation that shows who wins what.Thanks.
hasn't he been the winner in the big game overall for about the past 5 years? i'd say that gives him the right to say that considering the amount of hands he has played against the other top players.
"In the first five years of this poker-crazy new millennium, Greenstein earned more money playing the game than anyone alive—by some estimates in excess of $20 million, a figure he does not dispute."LA Times

That's the great thing about this game we love - there is never a limit to how much we can learn.

"In the first five years of this poker-crazy new millennium, Greenstein earned more money playing the game than anyone alive—by some estimates in excess of $20 million, a figure he does not dispute."LA Times
He doesn't dispute, but he also doesn't say it's true.... Nobody actually knows except for him, and it's the same for everyone else.....and i'm sure they got that by interviewing him. Unless they somehow have the financial records of everyone playing. I'm sure they don't have any though. Keep the great sources coming. Love those estimates.BTW, I've also heard that Ivey made 10 million last year in cash games. That's more than 20 million over 5 years... so who's to say that Ivey isn't the big winner?
He doesn't dispute, but he also doesn't say it's true.... Nobody actually knows except for him, and it's the same for everyone else.....and i'm sure they got that by interviewing him. Unless they somehow have the financial records of everyone playing. I'm sure they don't have any though. Keep the great sources coming. Love those estimates.BTW, I've also heard that Ivey made 10 million last year in cash games. That's more than 20 million over 5 years... so who's to say that Ivey isn't the big winner?
You asked for some material to back up my claim and i'd say that the LA Times is a pretty reputable source. I'm not going to call up the IRS or the Bellagio and request this info and no one is because they are never going to let it out. Also the article stated that he was +20 million in a 5 year span, not that he went on a hot streak at one point and was up 20 million, but that he made that much profit. Ivey could've easily made 10 million in a good year and then lost 8 the next year getting hit by a cold deck, so that could pretty much negate your argument. Also, although he doesn't "dispute" what the journalist stated don't you he would've said something if he knew he wasn't the overall winner? There is absolutely no way that someone as serious about the game as barry g. doesn't know his stats from every session of that game for the past 5 years. I don't like barry g. but he's a damn good poker player and from what I've read the winner in the big game for the past 5+ years.

I'm not saying he doesn't know them.I'm just saying that he might embellish them given the chance. Also given the chance, he likes to put down other players without coming off like that's what he's actually doing.For all I know, he COULD be the biggest winner. I'm just not going to trust his word on it.

I'm not saying he doesn't know them.I'm just saying that he might embellish them given the chance.  Also given the chance, he likes to put down other players without coming off like that's what he's actually doing.For all I know, he COULD be the biggest winner.  I'm just not going to trust his word on it.
Fair enough. Point taken.
You asked for some material to back up my claim and i'd say that the LA Times is a pretty reputable source. I'm not going to call up the IRS or the Bellagio and request this info and no one is because they are never going to let it out. Also the article stated that he was +20 million in a 5 year span, not that he went on a hot streak at one point and was up 20 million, but that he made that much profit. Ivey could've easily made 10 million in a good year and then lost 8 the next year getting hit by a cold deck, so that could pretty much negate your argument. Also, although he doesn't "dispute" what the journalist stated don't you he would've said something if he knew he wasn't the overall winner? There is absolutely no way that someone as serious about the game as barry g. doesn't know his stats from every session of that game for the past 5 years. I don't like barry g. but he's a damn good poker player and from what I've read the winner in the big game for the past 5+ years.
The LA Times is the polar opposite of reputable.
Im sorry a cold deck for a year isn't a cold deck at all. You simply are not a winning player if you are a loser for a year.

Why does everyone hate Barry G. so much??? A. I'm pretty sure it is just accepted fact that he is ONE of, if not THE biggest winner from the "big game," whether you or anyone else wants to accept it or not.B. He is a better cash game player than DN. DN is a better tournament player. Deal with it.C. Barry has said on numerous occasions that Phil WILL be the greatest player ever and will make the most money BECAUSE he has so much talent and BECAUSE he is still learning. That being said, Barry G. is older/wiser/more experienced and realizes that Phil still has a lot more to learn, which will make him better. Barry has the experience to say this, and to say whatever he wants about DN. D. Barry thinks that a lot of the tourney players, such as DN and MANY MANY others, probably aren't quite up to his level yet. I agree with him on that because he is speaking in terms of cash games, and he has proven WAY WAY WAY more than most of the younger tourney players in cash games. Thus, if he thinks he is better, let him say it, because he is right. This isn't a slam on DN, it is speaking the truth. Barry is a proven winner in THE biggest cash games in the country/world over a long period of time. DN hasn't really put in a long effort into the biggest game yet. Again, that isn't a slam, but it does give Barry the right to state his opinion on whether he is better than those that haven't proven it at his stakes. Get over the hatred of Barry G. Yeah, him and DN may not be the best of friends, but that doesn't mean you should just trash everything Barry G. says. I like both of them, and think Barry is the better cash game player (maybe the very best in the world at this moment), and I think DN is the better tourney player. Until DN plays in the big game over a 3 year stretch or so, and comes out a big/clear winnner, that is just the way it is going to be.

Why does everyone hate Barry G. so much??? A. I'm pretty sure it is just accepted fact that he is ONE of, if not THE biggest winner from the "big game," whether you or anyone else wants to accept it or not.B. He is a better cash game player than DN. DN is a better tournament player. Deal with it.C. Barry has said on numerous occasions that Phil WILL be the greatest player ever and will make the most money BECAUSE he has so much talent and BECAUSE he is still learning. That being said, Barry G. is older/wiser/more experienced and realizes that Phil still has a lot more to learn, which will make him better. Barry has the experience to say this, and to say whatever he wants about DN.  D. Barry thinks that a lot of the tourney players, such as DN and MANY MANY others, probably aren't quite up to his level yet. I agree with him on that because he is speaking in terms of cash games, and he has proven WAY WAY WAY more than most of the younger tourney players in cash games. Thus, if he thinks he is better, let him say it, because he is right. This isn't a slam on DN, it is speaking the truth. Barry is a proven winner in THE biggest cash games in the country/world over a long period of time. DN hasn't really put in a long effort into the biggest game yet. Again, that isn't a slam, but it does give Barry the right to state his opinion on whether he is better than those that haven't proven it at his stakes.  Get over the hatred of Barry G. Yeah, him and DN may not be the best of friends, but that doesn't mean you should just trash everything Barry G. says. I like both of them, and think Barry is the better cash game player (maybe the very best in the world at this moment), and I think DN is the better tourney player. Until DN plays in the big game over a 3 year stretch or so, and comes out a big/clear winnner, that is just the way it is going to be.
Why do we hate BG? That's like asking why Green Bay Packer fans hate the Bears. It's a rivalry, it's fun to root for one team/guy and hate his opponent. Also, Greenstein=Count Chocula.
Im sorry a cold deck for a year isn't a cold deck at all. You simply are not a winning player if you are a loser for a year.
this is the stupidest thing ive ever heard. how many hands do you think you could play in a year of live poker? 30 hands an hour for 5 hours every day is only 54,000 hands, and having a 54k hand downswing is very much within the realm of possibility.

I really feel that the more I "know" about poker, the little I really do know and how bad I truly am. I want to be a constant student of the game and consistently improving my game where all my weakspots are and strengthening the few but positive parts of my game.