question from heap--long

in my edition its on page 93, the section on heads up vs multiway. well the scenario is that you have AsKc and the flop comes down Ad10c3d. the player to your right bets into you. it says that you may just want to call since you wont lose a four flush, but you will knock out a gutshot or second pair. well, while we do want the gutshot and second pair calling, and we very well could be beaten by two pair or a set. do we not want to charge the four flush a price that the pot is not laying? Lets say we know for a fact that a player to our left has KdQd. If the pot is still fairly small, assuming you raised this preflop, a raise would take away his pot odds to hit the flush or gutshot. Even if the pot is smallish, not raising would allow someone with the gutshot straight draw to have correct odds to call down one small bet given his possible implied odds. Would this be a sitution where what happened pre-flop is more important. if the bettor raised preflop and you three-bet it, would putting the bettor on AK, AQ, maybe AJs or even KK/QQ possible? If you raise and someone behind you calls two cold, i would have to re-evaluate on the turn card. ORare we waiting to see if a blank hits on the turn and raising there to definitely take away pot odds and disguise the strength of our hand?

Dang. I wish I could remember what I wrote. Something about pot size and such. Basically, it boils down to this:Medium - large pot (up to ~14 SBs): Raise now to face the field with 2 cold. The flush draws are never going away, but you really really want gutshots and 5-outers to fold up their tents. If only to avoid putting your fist through the screen on the river.Huge pot (~15+ SBs): Wait for a non-diamond turn to raise, because gutshots and 5-outers will more-or-less be drawing correctly even after you raise the flop. Not only that, but the flop bettor may relinquish the lead on the turn, in which case you won't be able to price anyone out of their weak draws on the next street.Edited - I'm pretty much just paraphrasing SSHE here.