interesting convorsation on one of the wpt dvds.

i was watching one of the wpt dvds, particularly the tournament that featured gus hansen, hoyt corkins, dn, jdags, and a few others. the dvd had an extra with commentary by dn and erick lindgren, in which they were talking about the benefits of a looser style of play rather than the traditional tight/aggressive. what made me most interested was the fact that they really didn't get into the details of it, but said that gus is a shining (yet extreme) example of it. they mentioned that their style of playing a lot of hands and seeing a lot of flops was beneficial in both cash games as well as tournaments. i started out playing limit holdem, and have more recently been involved in several nl holdem cash games, i find i do fairly well, but at times, i feel i dont see enough flops, and therefor, miss oppurtunities at pots. I feel as if I can consistantly make good decisions when I'm in hands, and have grown to be pretty accurate in my reads. I play mostly a tight/aggressive style, which has been fairly successful in nl, but not nearly as successful as my limit game.lately i have been broadening my starting hand requirements, and seeing a lot more flops, knowing that, especially in local home games, i have the most experience and can usually make good decisions post flop. the one thing i noticed about the players who play this style (ivey, dn, corkins, and most noticably hansen) all tend to be most aggressive on the flop, and slow down noticably at the turn and river.i was wondering if there were any players who play this style and win consistantly, and if so, post some hh's or pointers.

I tend to play LAG very profitably.A couple notes of caution: 1) Playing LAG style will give you HUGE chip swings eg: in one day , you might expect to buy-in for $200, ++Up to $600, --Down to $100, --Bust out and rebuy for another $200 ++Up to $1200 --Down to $800 and cash out. 2) Interspersing some long and short periods of TAG playkeeps the opponents guessing3) Expect more bad beats (if you can't lose a huge pot to a 4-outer, this style is not for you)4) LAG play in not effective: (i) With short stacks (your stack or your opponent's stack (ii) At loose tables (play opposite the average playing style at a table)Therefore, I am hesitant to recommend a LAG playing style at the game you describe. I'm not saying it won't work, just that I know I would have difficulty playing LAG effectively in these conditions.Good luck at the games, and if you have any more questions, I' will be happy to try to answer them.Cheers,Merby

Merby summed up a good reason for playing Lag so I won't repeat anything he said, just add a few things.A benefit of playing LAG is that you get your big hands paid off because of a more agressive, wilder image at the table. Before I was comfortable playing LAG, I would raise preflop with garbage and hope to be able to show an inexpensive bluff. Most players can't see past the preflop action so they peg u as a wildman just because you raised preflop with garbage and then you can go back to playing TAG, but getting paid off.The comment about the turn and river. I'm torn as to whether or not they would slow up on the turn in a cash game. I think there is the possibility that they slow up on the turn because it's a tournament and the stacks are fairly shallow. That or they may have a good read they can't take their opponent off the hand.Last, do you go to NYU?

fold hands like A9-A2play hands like 78, 910, J10 in position.switch gearsdon't call raises with A9-A2call raises with 910, 78 and learn to identify when your opponent has a big pocket pair as opposed to AK based on his betting pattern. Re-raise with 78 occassionally, most of the time a call means AK-AQ and they want to see a flop, setting you up for a steal if they miss.mix these moves into your normal TAG style.

fold hands like A9-A2play hands like 78, 910, J10 in position.switch gearsdon't call raises with A9-A2call raises with 910, 78 and learn to identify when your opponent has a big pocket pair as opposed to AK based on his betting pattern. Re-raise with 78 occassionally, most of the time a call means AK-AQ and they want to see a flop, setting you up for a steal if they miss.mix these moves into your normal TAG style.
This is pretty much what I figured, don't play with hands that can easily be dominated (weak aces, weak kings etc) but play with drawing hands where the cards are most likely live. Good stuff.And Scott, no I don't go to NYU. I have a few friends there, but I go to school on the island.