what music are you guys listening to?

New topic: Me.I've become pretty familiar with a chunk of popular and underground hip-hop from about '93 to date, but I've always had a sort of stigma againt like Run-DMC and the older stuff. Starting with the best Run albums, can someone with a good sense of taste and history run me down a list of the best '80s and very early '90s stuff?In case you're wondering, someone mentioned Krush Groove a few pages back, and I'd been meaning to watch it (as it was written by Busdriver's father), so I did, which sparked this interest.
That might've been in the In Rainbows thread. Shake posted a picture from Krush Groove of one of the Fat Boys with a boombox. Krush Groove is such an essential film.I have a hard time narrowing down Run DMC CDs. You could go with a best-of, which would cover a lot of ground, or the albums I would suggest: Run-DMC, Raising Hell, Tougher Than Leather, King of Rock. I'm pretty sure that's all of them with the exception of Crown Royal, their "comeback" CD. Ugh.I'd also suggest some KRS-One/Boogie Down Productions. From BDP, I'd suggest Criminal Minded and By All Means Necessary. From KRS solo, I'd suggest Return of the Boom Bap.EPMD - Strictly Business is always a good choice.Eric B & Rakim's Paid In Full and Follow The Leader are must-have in this particular genre, IMO.LL Cool J was great in the 80's/early 90's. Radio is a good one.
  • Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

This is just a random list of songs I thought of real quick. Any other suggestions to a Beginner's Guide to My Music would be helpful. I obviously can't fit everything on one CD, so I'm just going to compile a huge list and then cut it down. I've got plenty of time, so no rush.
Rad. My old man has very similar taste, and I share music with him all the time. He's obv more receptive to Dad-rock type stuff like old Radiohead, Coldplay and Travis (both bands which I like a lot, for the record), but I sometimes throw a wrench in there just to keep him on his toes.For Beck, I would go with any of the following over "Devil's Haircut": "Jack-Ass", "Lord Only Knows", "Cold Brains", or "Girl".For Wilco, "Kamera", hands down.For Radiohead, I'd definitely start him with something off The Bends if he hasn't heard that yet. "Karma Police", "Let Down" and "Lucky" are all safe choices as well. Also, my Dad fuggin LOVES "Go To Sleep". He was totally obsessed with that song for at least a month. Every time I'd swing by my parents' house he'd start singing, "We don't want the loonies takiiiiiiin overrrrrrr." Too funny.Other stuff that I'd consider (not sure if you personally are into all this stuff, but I'll assume): Interpol, Supergrass, Phantom Planet, M. Ward, Sneaker Pimps, The Shins, Elliott Smith, The Strokes, etc.
I think I mentioned a long time ago that my father has a Myspace, and his song is an old Animal Collective song. I'm never going to even ask him about it.
I really want to know what the **** is going on here. If you don't want to investigate, give me the pertinent information, and I'll do it. Which Animal Collective song is it? Is your father Asian? Why does your Asian Father like Animal Collective? How did he even come by a random Animal Collective song? Is it from Sung Tongs, or from further back, like from Here Comes the Indian? What? Is? Going? On?
Rad. My old man has very similar taste, and I share music with him all the time. He's obv more receptive to Dad-rock type stuff like old Radiohead, Coldplay and Travis (both bands which I like a lot, for the record), but I sometimes throw a wrench in there just to keep him on his toes.For Beck, I would go with any of the following over "Devil's Haircut": "Jack-Ass", "Lord Only Knows", "Cold Brains", or "Girl".For Wilco, "Kamera", hands down.For Radiohead, I'd definitely start him with something off The Bends if he hasn't heard that yet. "Karma Police", "Let Down" and "Lucky" are all safe choices as well. Also, my Dad fuggin LOVES "Go To Sleep". He was totally obsessed with that song for at least a month. Every time I'd swing by my parents' house he'd start singing, "We don't want the loonies takiiiiiiin overrrrrrr." Too funny.Other stuff that I'd consider (not sure if you personally are into all this stuff, but I'll assume): Interpol, Supergrass, Phantom Planet, M. Ward, Sneaker Pimps, The Shins, Elliott Smith, The Strokes, etc.
The Shins and Elliot Smith are both great ideas, especially since I'm certain my dad is at least passingly familiar with each. He's a big fan of Scrubs, and therefore anything Zach Braff does, so he's seen Garden State and definitely heard the Shins songs on the soundtrack. And Elliot Smith gets lots of play in movies (like Good Will Hunting, for example), so I'm sure he'd be tickled pink to recognize a few of the songs I included. It'd make him feel cooler, probably."Kamera" was something I considered for Wilco at first, and I think it's a great choice (along with "Heavy Metal Drummer" also from YHF), but if he DOES enjoy "Shot in the Arm" or "How to Fight Loneliness" (good suggestion IVpro), then I'll probably eventually make him listen to YHF in its entirety.At this point, the Radiohead record that's in the lead is "Airbag," just because it's a great "Intro Track" for any mix CD. It's very drum heavy, features lots of guitar, and is also Radioheadmospheric, which is a plus. For some reason, I also think it's a good idea to inclue a song where Thom's vocals are (a) not-falsetto and (B) totally audible. Other songs I'm considering (and I may include more than one) are "Subterranean Homesick Alien" (he'll enjoy seeing a Bob Dylan reference), "Lucky," "Street Spirit" and "How to Disappear Completely" (in order of likelihood). "Go to Sleep" is a good idea, too. Interpol probably won't get a chance, since they're kinda darkish and I think that might turn him off. I still really have NO idea what Beck song to use. That might be the toughest, given his myriad styles/phases. Thanks a lot guys. I'm enjoying this discussion in the abstract, not to mention the pragmatic applications of your input. It's helpful, so if you're inclined, please continue. No suggestion will be ignored.
Listening to Jamie T's "Panic Prevention" again. This is quickly creeping up my list of favorite albums of this year.
Absolutely. I don't even know how to categorize Jamie; first time I heard it, I thought it was almost a hip-hop record, but now I'm sure it's not. People tell me he's like Arctic Monkeys, but I disagree.

What about for Beck you use Where It's At, this song had minor radio play back in the day, and if it's any help my dad actually really likes this song.

Absolutely. I don't even know how to categorize Jamie; first time I heard it, I thought it was almost a hip-hop record, but now I'm sure it's not. People tell me he's like Arctic Monkeys, but I disagree.
I usually tell people he's sort of like Mike Skinner meets Joe Strummer. I'm not terribly fond of that analogy, because Strummer is so iconic, but that's as close as I've been able to come.

Oh, and I'm going to see John Vanderslice and Bishop Allen tonight. Looking forward to it, even though the venue is poorly ventilated, which could lead to folks sweating more than Satan's ballsack.

I really want to know what the **** is going on here. If you don't want to investigate, give me the pertinent information, and I'll do it. Which Animal Collective song is it? Is your father Asian? Why does your Asian Father like Animal Collective? How did he even come by a random Animal Collective song? Is it from Sung Tongs, or from further back, like from Here Comes the Indian? What? Is? Going? On?
My father is Asian, he's about 55 years old, he's generally a pretty boring, conservative old American-Asian dude, but over the 15 months or so has become fairly unbalanced, and prior to this discovery, I didn't even know he listened to music at all, anymore. I don't remember the song, and upon investigation, he's changed it to...ready?: Calling all Zones - Yin Yang Twins.My little brother still lives with him, I'll do some prying.
The Shins
Interesting Dutch fact: Martin Crandall is dating a person who's easily surpassed NP in terms of Dutch's obsessive celebrity crushes: Elyse Sewell. If I don't check her blog for updates threes times a day, I don't check it at all.

I just got back from a St. Vincent concert. I had always enjoyed the album, but I was totally blown away by the concert. It was amazing how one can translate, change, and adapt their music to a live scene. This is what concerts should all be about. One should get a better appreciation and a different understanding of an album through it's live interpretations. The songs were translated perfectly into a live show. Songs which on the album were beautiful but gentile poppy songs became hard rock, guitar thrashing anthems. I'm going to hear the songs in a whole new light from now on.Also, I'm basically in love with Annie, the lead singer (or the whole band, or whatever she is). She definitely did some Yorkian head bobs and some body convulsions that seemed very familiar. She basically rocked out. I guess the best compliment that I can say about the whole thing was that I only thought about In Rainbows a few times (as compared to 100% of the time, which is normal for me).

WaSh BeTa,you finish that album for your Paw? Post up the track listing.If you're working on it then go with your first instinct on the whole Beck thing. As for the ending of the cd, I think The Bends would be a cool track to do that. Maybe you've filled up the Radiohead quota already. Or, this is possibly a terrible idea (From me? Never).I'm still doing the whole In Rainbows thing over and over.

ok so my friends and i are involved in a lot of musical projects, and we made a site that is kind of an online record label for hosting peoples albums in mp3 format and making them available for donation based downloads (like radiohead). but i need some other music content to put on the site. i wrote a few album recommendations, but im not a very good writer and dont feel like doing a lot of them. it would be cool to have something going on there like shimmering wang's music exchange thread, any other ideas? anyone want to write for the site for free?the address is http://www.elcityrecords.com