what music are you guys listening to?

I'm trying to find a copy of Ricardo Villalobos's Fabric 36 and for some reason all the torrent sites I use don't have it. I am sad.Today I'm listening to the Flaming Lips a lot, and then I've had an urge to listen to The Futureheads, so I'll do that later. Hold Steady's Separation Sunday is on the playlist, too. Not sure if I'll get to it, don't know if I'll have time.Wang
I had this vision in my head of you going to Virgin Records and handing some little jerk-off a 20-spot, walking out of their with a sad little bag and light pockets, and I couldn't take it. It was positively heart-breaking. I nabbed it off Demonoid ages ago, so I'll be back with a hight-speed serve for Wang and anyone else who wants to be pretentious.
  • Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

Yesterday I finally was in a store that had a copy of Kayne's album... I grab it, get home and find out I got the edited version. There was nothing on the packaging indicating that, I am angry panda.
Chris Rock had something like this happen on MTV Diary a million years ago. It was awesome; he went have into the store and screamed at them for being so irresponsible putting edited garbage where anyone -- even children -- could accidentally buy it. Get was able to exchange it.But you're not famous or followed by an MTV crew, so I don't like your odds as much.
But you're not famous or followed by an MTV crew, so I don't like your odds as much.
Yea, I'm kinda fucked. It says that once opened it's not returnable... I'm slightly irritated. I'll go find a explicit copy and give this one to my son I guess.

Wang-Wang (hey, that could be your name it you were a Panda): I tried uploading to a server, but they won't let me do a file more than 100MB, which this is slightly larger than. I could do it in pieces, but I'm lazy. If you're on AIM later, I'll give it to ya'.

Wang-Wang (hey, that could be your name it you were a Panda): I tried uploading to a server, but they won't let me do a file more than 100MB, which this is slightly larger than. I could do it in pieces, but I'm lazy. If you're on AIM later, I'll give it to ya'.
Sweeeeet!Wang
strawberry jam is sick
Yeah. It is. I'm going to start preparing my year-end list. It'll probably be Top 20, and it'll come out 3 days before Pitchfork's, and be completely incredible. (In this context, "incredible" means "not credible," instead of "totally awesome and mind blowing." It will be neither awesome nor mind blowing.)

Hey Wang, I tried to hook you up with those illin' jams, but you were wielyn, so I had to bounce. What's up with you on AIM, anyway? Do you use it some bizarre way or does like the router grabs half you in-coming bandwidth and leave you with no reliable communication, or are you just an AIM *******? It's gotten to the point where if I see you're on, I just assume you're still not reachable.

strawberry jam is sick
Yeah. It is. I'm going to start preparing my year-end list. It'll probably be Top 20, and it'll come out 3 days before Pitchfork's, and be completely incredible. (In this context, "incredible" means "not credible," instead of "totally awesome and mind blowing." It will be neither awesome nor mind blowing.)
i am of the opinion that animal collective is the most overrated band of the decade. i spend a lot of time thinking about music so i can elaborate, but i don't want to intentionally poop on music that people dig.
Hey Wang, I tried to hook you up with those illin' jams, but you were wielyn, so I had to bounce. What's up with you on AIM, anyway? Do you use it some bizarre way or does like the router grabs half you in-coming bandwidth and leave you with no reliable communication, or are you just an AIM *******? It's gotten to the point where if I see you're on, I just assume you're still not reachable.
Yeah, sometimes I'll be on and just not get IMs. Sometimes I'll hear the noise and a window will pop up, and nothing will be there. Sometimes nothing will happen. It's pretty awful, so I barely hop on anymore. Sorry about that. I'll be on later today, and we'll figure something out.
i am of the opinion that animal collective is the most overrated band of the decade. i spend a lot of time thinking about music so i can elaborate, but i don't want to intentionally poop on music that people dig.
I don't think anyone here will be offended. I don't have a problem if you crap on Animal Collective. I actually thought about this earlier, because I know you don't like Animal Collective at all, and I was honestly wondering why. I was thinking this while driving my car and listening to "For Reverend Green." Pretty odd, huh?Wang
I don't think anyone here will be offended. I don't have a problem if you crap on Animal Collective. I actually thought about this earlier, because I know you don't like Animal Collective at all, and I was honestly wondering why. I was thinking this while driving my car and listening to "For Reverend Green." Pretty odd, huh?Wang
Here's my thing with them. It's like Jurassic Park. To me, Animal Collective sounds like a group of guys who love to experiment with sound (which is great), but they seem to be so fascinated with whether or not they can create the sounds they're able to achieve that they never stop to ask themselves whether or not they should pile on the countless layers of noise they eventually add to every track, i.e. does another track of random shouting/instrumentation service the song in any way? I understand that sound collage is the point, and the songs are not the point, but I just find it hard to believe that anyone actually likes listening to Animal Collective records. A certain amount of whimsy is necessary when making records (or any piece of art), but Animal Collective sounds like 100% whimsy, where everything is recorded and mixed at random which, to me, makes for a very unmemorable and unenjoyable listen. I think they would benefit GREATLY from working with a producer who specializes in reining in just these types of artists (think dust brothers/nigel godrich re beck, dave fridmann re flaming lips), someone who would be subtractive rather than additive.It seems to me that music critics (and music fans who tend to listen based on critics' recommendations) feel like they should like Animal Collective because it sounds 'different' than a lot of what's out there, but again, I just can't see how anyone would listen to their records and be like, "oh man, this is so flipping RAD."anyway, my 2 cents.

I still haven't had really given AC the attention to fully form an opinion, as I'm just now washing all the Aerosmith out of my system after 15 months, but Wang talked me into listening to some way back. My impression was that it was pretty cool, but that I wasn't going to play it again. Obviously this isn't meaningful, since I thought the same thing about Radiohead a year ago, but I'm throwing it out there.(I HAVE come to appreciate a handful Modest Mouse tracks, who although obviously aren't even remotely related I mention only because I think I mentioned I thought were really boring, and MK agreed with me on their "meh"ness. So there's really no way to tell how I'll feel in a week, regardless of hipness.)As an aside: my father has an Animal Collective song on the Myspace he just started. I swear to Christ this is true. It seems like a joke, and I'm posting it because it's funny, but I'm starting to get concerned, because I was pretty sure he was flipping his lid four months ago, and now I'm getting calls from family members who hate me for shit like this every week, because I'm the only one who can take care of ANYTHING anymore. When he dies, I hope I'm not around, because no one else could possibly make arrangements. I'm living in a mother****ing dunce village.

Here's my thing with them. It's like Jurassic Park. To me, Animal Collective sounds like a group of guys who love to experiment with sound (which is great), but they seem to be so fascinated with whether or not they can create the sounds they're able to achieve that they never stop to ask themselves whether or not they should pile on the countless layers of noise they eventually add to every track, i.e. does another track of random shouting/instrumentation service the song in any way? I understand that sound collage is the point, and the songs are not the point, but I just find it hard to believe that anyone actually likes listening to Animal Collective records. A certain amount of whimsy is necessary when making records (or any piece of art), but Animal Collective sounds like 100% whimsy, where everything is recorded and mixed at random which, to me, makes for a very unmemorable and unenjoyable listen. I think they would benefit GREATLY from working with a producer who specializes in reining in just these types of artists (think dust brothers/nigel godrich re beck, dave fridmann re flaming lips), someone who would be subtractive rather than additive.It seems to me that music critics (and music fans who tend to listen based on critics' recommendations) feel like they should like Animal Collective because it sounds 'different' than a lot of what's out there, but again, I just can't see how anyone would listen to their records and be like, "oh man, this is so flipping RAD."anyway, my 2 cents.
I honestly felt the exact same way at first about most of their songs. And there are good number of Animal Collective tracks that I still feel wander too much, and that I don't enjoy. But a lot of their songs really are GREAT, CATCHY pop songs. The song "Who Could Win a Rabbit" was the first Animal Collective song I ever really, really enjoyed, and I gradually came first to appreciate their other stuff, then to enjoy it, then to crave it. The whole Sung Tongs album is brilliantly FUN as far as I'm concerned. I don't know how to express what I want to say about music most of the time, because my technical knowledge and vocabulary is woefully inadequate, but I really like a lot of their melodies, especially the ones on Sung Tongs. There are some really, really, really well-crafted songs on that album I feel like. After awhile, I really don't notice the extraneous "noise" anymore, because it all fits perfectly as far as I'm concerned. Listen to the song "Winter's Love," a few times. I think both parts of the song are really well put together, and the melody is beautiful. I think the vocals -- much of it just noises -- really enhance the song. They don't distract me at all. Moreso than most of their songs, "Winter's Love" really seems to have been written with a specific melody in mind, and the entire piece stays on track. This is a song (among others on this album, most notably "Leaf House," and "Who Could Win a Rabbit") that I find myself humming when distracted, or jonesing to listen to. I'll admit I started listening to them because of the critical acclaim they received, and then because they confused me. But the only reason I still play their music is because I REALLY REALLY ENJOY THE SOUND OF IT.Other Animal Collective songs that I think are really catchy:Have You Seen the Words- Probably the most straightforward, non-weird song they've written and released. Great pop song. I could see it being played on the radio. I even put it on mixes for people.For Reverend Green- Different for them, but Avey Tare's vocals -- yelpy and screamy -- are awesomeWang
I'll admit I started listening to them because of the critical acclaim they received, and then because they confused me.
lolwill re-visit the tracks you suggest. i do 'own' burned copies of everything they've done, and i definitely like sung tongs the most.
i can understand what you mean and you know a lot more about music than me. if i was looking for structure, i would hate animal collective. if i was looking for well-thought out, tight melodies and what not, i would not like animal collective. also, i know a lot of people who pretend to like animal collective because they have become pitchfork darlings of late.this being said, before i ever knew about pitchfork, or musical structure or anything like that, i liked animal collective. why? because its really ****ing fun to listen to, for me at least. whimsy is the word you used, and thats exactly what i like about it. its playful, doesnt take itself too seriously like a lot of indie, and i feel like they enjoy playing just as much as i enjoy listening.another band that comes to mind is the unicorns. same sorta deal.p.s. wang. winters love is one of my favorite songs ever.
Pharcyde, haven't listened to them forever.And some Souls of Mischief
I downloaded two of their albums, but I haven't really been in the time, yet. I haven't really been keeping up with rock at all, I've been so in hip-hop and electronica. Anything good I missed in the last month or so? Also: Liquid Swords. Wu-Tang is OK, I'm starting to think. Maybe better than everyone else, ever.