Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hans, boubie, I'm your white knight

holy shit, I can't stop listening to Run The Jewels 2

Bob Dylan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Drake - Nothing was the same

Only listened through it once, love it so far. His songs/albums tend to grow on me severely over time. I didn't like Take Care at first, and I've probably listened to that album more than any other in the last 2 years. I still give it regular plays on my iPod. I think NWTS has the potential to be his best album yet, but I'll have to listen to it 10 more times to be sure.

Just hold on, We're going Home has the potential to be the next mega cross over hit ala Hey ya, or Crazy. It`s such an amazing song to listen to with headphones on.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dutch I'm posting this mostly for you, since you've been posting recently and therefore might see it. I got really into Dilla samples a long time ago and I know you were into that a bit (not just Dilla necessarily).

Anyway, "Nothing Like This." Easily one of his best and also most experimental songs. For reference if non Dilla-heads are reading:

Here's something Just Blaze wrote about the sample awhile ago:

JUST BLAZE: I bought Ruff Draft real late. I listened to it, but then I forgot about the album for a minute. Most of us don't sit around turntables anymore, and I didn't have it ripped to my iPod or on CD. One day I was on the net and found that someone had ripped it. I downloaded it, and when I was listening to it, I just skipped past that song like, "He ain't rapping" ... Then it hit me. It was hypnotic. I didn't even know what he was talking about, but it didn't matter. At the end of the beat, he hit stop on his machine, but the sample played out. I sat there for 20 minutes with that part on loop, trying to figure out what the sample was. He caught a part of the record that was so non-descript. That was what was so crazy about him: he wouldn't use the obvious break. He might use the part right before or after the break. And the part he used on that song, I couldn't figure it out. It drove me crazy for months. Finally I just gave up.

Considering that Just Blaze came moderately close to finding it (realizing that the final 3 seconds of the song were the key), I'm a little surprised nobody ever figured it out considering all the incredibly obscure loops of his that people have found. Those last 3 seconds are decipherable, although the entire rest of the song is essentially impossible. EDIT: The music video of it I linked above has a different conclusion to the song, and the relevant part that Blaze is talking about (but which he did not fully comprehend) is not found on this version. It's on the album version.

So, it turns out the amazing House Shoes was sitting on it for a decade and finally revealed it a couple years ago. It's like watching a beautiful magic trick, and it doesn't get old after what must be my 50th viewing since I randomly stumbled on it a week ago. Around 9:10 if the timestamp doesn't work, it's only a few seconds long:

I mean, what the fuck.

Charlie Mingus, Kind of Mingus box set.

There are these inexpensive jazz box sets called "Kind of..." and then the artists name. Kind of Baker, Kind of Coltrane, etc.

Un-****ing-believable values. 10 CDs usually in the 20-30 range.

Do you use torrents? If not, is it due to ethical or legal concerns? If not again, then you probably should.

I'm not talking about public sites like piratebay.

No I don't.

I just buy CDs because I'm old.

Actually kinda like my hard media collection. Was way into vinyl before the hipster renaissance brought the hordes, have a decent collection of that too. Bought a bunch of Bola Sete records last week. The old video game thing is kinda in this realm.

Do you use torrents? If not, is it due to ethical or legal concerns? If not again, then you probably should.

I'm not talking about public sites like piratebay.

Wanna know something weird? As someone who downloaded liked 7TB in like a year once, I steal almost nothing anymore. If it's not on spotify, I didn't already have it, and I don't care enough to buy it on iTunes, I just don't listen to it.

Interesting write up, but neither link plays for me.

Hmm, I feel like that's on your end. They're just youtube links. The 2nd one is timestamped, which could cause a bug maybe. The first one is just the track "Nothing Like This" which I imagine you have or could easily find elsewhere.

Here's the important one, with the timestamp and other weird stuff at the end of the url removed. Just skip to around the 9 minute mark. Or if even this link doesn't work just search youtube for "Houseshoes detroit to LA."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJckmxSlcRY

Re: torrents (to Scram as well), I also use less torrents than I used to by far, but part of that is because I have a massive library of music already and could spend years going through it.

The reason I recommend a private torrent site to scram is that it may have stuff that is very difficult to find elsewhere, even to pay for, and at least whatcd is a great place to browse an artist's discography, including guest appearances and anthologies and bootlegs and compositions they wrote but didn't appear on the recording of, etc.

I completely get the appeal of a physical collection though, and have a modest vinyl collection myself.

Wanna know something weird? As someone who downloaded liked 7TB in like a year once, I steal almost nothing anymore. If it's not on spotify, I didn't already have it, and I don't care enough to buy it on iTunes, I just don't listen to it.

Same here. Started using Spotify over a year ago, and I haven't downloaded any music since.

Do any of you homos ever listen to Lou Reed? I do, but still haven't heard all his solo stuff. I recently discovered "Street Hassle," and holy shit. The album is mostly kind of mediocre and even a little disappointing, except for the title track which is an incredibly ambitious 11-minute rock opera in 3 distinct parts, with full-on Look-at-me-I'm-significant orchestration and almost no percussion. And he pulls it off like a motherfucker, with lyrics that are shocking and legitimately meaningful, yet also legitimately humble and casual. Easily among his best post-Velvet songs, maybe his single best.

Also, that's Bruce Springsteen on the spoken introduction to part 3. It took me awhile to figure out it was him, despite the fact that he quotes his own extremely famous lyrics ("tramps like us") and sounds exactly like Bruce Springsteen.

• Like 1

I love Reed, but as a solo artist, he is was, on average, more interesting that enjoyable. Certainly a fan, though.

Plus, he made a record with Metallica.

• 3 weeks later...

I really love the Christina Perri station on Pandora.

Anna Nalick

Passenger

Cranberries

Skylar Grey

The Lumineers

... among others are right up my alley musically.

• 4 weeks later...